Consumer Reviews of Armstrong Air furnaces

Read more about Armstrong Air furnaces

Date created: 2012-12-13 Name: G.Teed
Location: Thunder Bay, On, Canada

"New Furnace problem"
Had a new a93uh furnace installed in June. Old one was an 8 year old Armstrong but due to basement sewage flood was ruined. Once the cold weather set in by late September, early October and furnace was put into operation we started having problems. It would run for awhile then when temp dropped wouldn't start up. Had to turn furnace off and back on to make it run and it would run fine for about a week and then start again. Service man said was thermostat, replaced with new one (Emerson), worked okay for about a week then started problem again. Now it is doing it on a daily basis. Installer can't find problem tried to contact company myself, twice no response. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Date created: 2012-11-17 Name: Armstrong-Happy
Location: Central Ontario Canada

"93-Single Stage, Read the installation Manual!"
I just had our Armstrong 93 single stage installed, and I am very happy with the unit. As far as I can see, I got a Lennox without the price. But, going over the installation instructions after it was installed, my reputable installer missed a couple of key installation instructions unique to this furnace. For example, exhaust pipe was not level away from the furnace, therefore at an elbow, the exhaust had a large amount of water (cup-cup and 1/2). Secondly, this furnace required outside, a 2" to 1 1/2" reducer and 6" of 1 1/2" pipe off the reducer as its final link to the outside, as noted numerous times in the instructions. Reading on the Internet, it has something to do with avoiding pitting/ cavitation? Of the exchanger/inducer thingy (I have no idea what this means?). Lastly, a vent tube just before the condensate pump was not installed, clearly indicated by a sticker on the plastic piece and the instructions. Again, reading on the Internet it says I would not encounter any problems with this until the furnace was really working hard (Christmas holidays?). So yes, it is all about the installer and whether or not they can follow instructions.

Date created: 2012-11-13 Name: Ted Friedberg
Location: Chicago IL

"Junk magic chef now Armstrong junk"
I moved into a new condo in 86 and the 1st winter the no heat problems began. Then the a/c was problems, new condenser motor, blower motor, fan control and when it was over it lasted just 12 years because of a cracked heat exchanger. Now lets get into my new Armstrong I bought in December 1998. After the install from Airko I had to on my own replace the Fan Control. Will not let them ever to come to my house after what they did as not to replace the fan control board. After the 4th year I have been filling the a/c with Freon every Summer till now. This 2012 winter season looks like another cracked heat Exchanger. Now its time after 14 years to spend another 3300 on another Garbage furnace. It makes me very mad when homeowners tell me their furnace lasted them 35yrs and I am on my 3rd one since 1986. Magic Chef and Armstrong you should get out of the hvac business because your furnaces are not any more reliable than a wood stove. At least that stove will never have a cracked ss heat exchanger.

Date created: 2012-10-22 Name: John
Location: NY

"JUNK"
We bought our home 7 years ago and it has an Armstrong/Lennox Ultra sx 80 installed. The furnace was installed in 2000 as the people who had the house before us kept excellent records and wrote everything down. The furnace has had nothing but issues every year since we moved in. Every year it seems to be a different part/problem. The parts are very expensive as well compared to other brands of furnaces. I'm about ready to have the thing removed and replaced. The techs on here that say that the installers are to blame on here need to read a little deeper. All these parts don't fail because of the installers. These furnaces are junk period!!!!

Date created: 2012-10-18 Name: Steve Ronyak
Location: Shadyside, Ohio

"Sooooo Noisy"
Had a combo unit installed....although they boast of quietness that is so untrue. Tinny aluminum fan rattles. When I asked for a replacement fan to try a few ideas to solve the problem. I Got the run around. All I asked for was a new fan not a new unit. I sure wish I would have checked reviews 1st... Next issue is the ac performance is very poor. This unit replaced a smaller 22 years old unit and the old one did a much better job..

Date created: 2012-10-14 Name: Bob

"Homeowner"
Allied builds Lennox and Armstrong furnaces. Lennox and Armstrong unit heaters are also built by allied. Being brand specific doesn't work any more like it used to. You have to find a quality install -- then practically any furnace is good. Also, who stands behind their warranty? The best Armstrong stands behind there line better than Lennox. The Lennox distribution in western Canada is so arrogant -- you can't deal with them. So, dealers are dropping the line as a second line of furnace .

Date created: 2012-08-31 Name: N. Cambell
Location: Marshalltown, IA

"Fools"
To the reviewer that states that Lennox is an Armstrong, you are a little off base. I work in the Lennox factory in Marshalltown. I hate to break it to you but Armstrong is a Lennox product not the other way around. As previously stated the majority of problems with hvac is caused by sloppy/poor installation or lack of maintenance only bad contractors and misinformed homeowners blame proven quality equipment.

Date created: 2012-03-29 Name: Leonard

"Armstrong Lennox are all made by allied"
We installed Armstrong for years always had good luck but now they have switched to 33inch tall models our altitude is approx 3200 ft above sea level. Myself and all other dealer including Lennox dealers are all having issues with the air switches. Allied builds these and many other brand furnaces Lennox and Armstrong are the only ones we have compared sitting side by side and yes they are the same furnace regardless of what Lennox will tell you. We have had to turn the air switch out approx 1quarter turn to make the furnace run. We have complained to Allied and they do admit they have a problem finally after bitching for over year. Beware Lennox is an Armstrong. Maybe try a Coleman -- my one builder only uses them and every one we have installed has not given a problem. Until this new 33inch tall Armstrong came out we never had a problem with them either. Thank god we have found a way to keep these new furnaces running. But this fix we are doing under necessity voids the warranty. Don't know what else to do.

Date created: 2012-02-11 Name: M J Malick
Location: Antioch Illinois

"My mistake"
This is the worst heating plant I have ever had in my home! The contractor talked me into it instead of a Carrier system that I had selected. I have had to have the blower motor replaced (3) times since it was installed. I breaks down on a regular basis, and has cost me hundreds of dollars over that period. The old Carrier furnace lasted 22 years with never so much as one service call! I am very disappointed as I spared no expense with the new system, and would never buy another one!

Date created: 2012-02-03 Name: A Rasmussen
Location: Provo, Utah

"Natural Gas Forced Air Furnace"
Thirty-two years without a single service call qualifies this to be an excellent furnace. It has a simple and functional design. What more could one ask for.