Consumer Reviews of Armstrong Air furnaces

Read more about Armstrong Air furnaces

Date created: 2015-02-02 Name: Call me Captain Scott
Location: Calgary, Canada

"Avoid Armstrong Air at any cost"
My parents original house was built in 1959. I lived there from 1974 until the mid-90'S. The furnace started running in the fall, went on and off all winter, and stopped in the spring. We replaced a couple of fan motors and a thermocouple over the years. That was it. This is our second Armstrong Air furnace. We bought an old home in 2008; the previous owner had installed a high-efficiency Armstrong. It limped through several winters with condensate drain problems, but at least I could get it to run. When we eventually demolished the house, I stored that furnace in the garage. I'll come back to that. Much to my chagrin, the new house we built on-site has an Armstrong High Efficiency. This is our second winter with it. It's a great furnace until it gets cold and runs a lot. You know, when it's cold out...when you need a furnace... Last winter, we had a couple of visits from the technician and the condensate drain was finally fixed (they put a check valve in). I was more optimistic going into this winter. Unfortunately, it's no better. It's stopped, and the only way to get it going again is some combination of turning it off and back on, then hitting "reset", standing on one foot, facing Mecca, swearing off beef... I don't actually know which of these things made it work, but it was working briefly this morning. The technician we spoke to said it might be overheating due to the filter. That was replaced within the last 6 months, so I doubt that's the problem. We'll see when he comes on Wednesday. Two nights of space heaters. Wish me luck. My uncle, who is a 45-year tradesman, put a mid-efficiency furnace in some time ago. I was tempted to source one when we were building, but I believe they've been taken off the market in Canada. I'm now considering, more seriously, the idea of sourcing a used mid-efficiency furnace, and getting my uncle's sheet metal buddy to put it in. It won't be an Armstrong.

Date created: 2014-10-26 Name: D.Raymond
Location: Peace River, Alberta, Canada

"High efficiency? Maybe in Hawaii"
Our house was built in 1959-60. The furnace was the original and had seen its day, so we decided to replace it with a high-efficiency model. Our installer chose the Armstrong Air GLD91BT, which he said was a pretty good unit. Had I known we would have so much trouble with a new furnace, I would have put up with the old one. In June 2011, we installed the Armstrong and, of course, it wasn't kick started until late September 2011. It wasn't 5 months later, and it quit working. It had blinking red lights and needed a new pressure switch. The service man advised they were made in Mexico and only 1 out of 5 in his pocket usually would work. Then, again, 3 flashing lights in March 2013. The pressure switch was open with the inducer on. The service man came, pulled off the rubber hoses, threw one switch away, reconnected the hoses in a different sequence, and away we go. October 2014, the furnace is not working and the inside temperature is 60 degrees. 6 flashing lights? This is just about enough from a supposedly efficient model and years of trouble free heating! I have never seen such a piece of crap product put on the market. How does one fix the failure codes themselves? And, of course, it is not - 40 below, so no service men are on call. I will never recommend this product to anyone. Stay away from it, and go buy a wood stove. At least there will be no codes to diagnose. And if it starts to get cold in the house, at least you'll know you're out of wood.

Date created: 2014-10-19 Name: Chad
Location: Saint Paul, MN

"Unsatisfied"
We just bought our house in May of this year. We had a technician out to do a yearly maintenance check on it. Come to find out, we need a new furnace and it's only 10 years old. The secondary heat exchanger is about to go out. In addition, there is a wire behind the front panel which is starting to melt. We are very dissatisfied with the quality. Of course, I don't how much maintenance was done on it before we bought the house, but the tech could tell other parts had been replaced as well.

Date created: 2014-10-18 Name: Nancy Wheeler
Location: Louisville, KY

"Motor failed two times in 7 years"
I chose this furnace in 2007 for the energy savings, and I have saved money on heating bills. But the money I saved is going into repairs. The motor failed once the first year, 2008, while it was under warranty. But it just failed again in 2014 - only 6 years later. I guess I should have bought the 10-year warranty. I expect a furnace to last about 20 years, or maybe start having trouble at 15 years, but I won't buy an Armstrong again.

Date created: 2014-08-16 Name: Mr. Fix it
Location: Central Ontario

"Still Satisfied"
I have the 93 single stage, and it worked great for two years, no issues (installed Oct 2012). This past early spring, ventor came on and then went off, did not attempt to fire or it would turn off the flame in the middle of a cycle and then try again. No codes, but if I played with the pressure switch (blew in and out), I could get it to run for week or so until it acted up again. I searched, found a tech bulletin from Armstrong Air about an updated pressure switch (93w86). Found one for $28 and replaced myself, pretty simple. Based on what I see in the automotive sector, I figure "tech bulletins" and "recalls" are now a fact of life for all products (80% tested, get it to market, deal with it later), so I have learned how to fix it myself.

Date created: 2014-08-04 Name: Stephanie
Location: Cheney, wa

"What More Can You Ask For?"
I don't know the model number of the Armstrong furnace that was just replaced. I did find the serial number inside after it was removed. Today's date is August 04, 2014, the furnace was made in Febrary of 1967 making it 47 years old! I replaced it only because I knew it was old....just not that old! Wow!!! How phenomenal is that?! It still worked too!

Date created: 2014-01-28 Name: Paul
Location: Milwaukee

"A great furnace"
I had the sx ultra 95 installed in 2000 by a certified installer. It has been running flawlessly since then. I do have yearly maintenance done and religiously change the filters according to usage. Now I use a nest thermostat to remind me to change filters based on usage. I also check water lines going in and out for leaks. Water back up or leaks from humidifier lines can destroy a furnace.

Date created: 2013-12-09 Name: Mary Casey
Location: Yorkville, IL

"Bad NEWS!"
This is the first negative review I have ever written for a product, but I want to warn people thinking of buying a new furnace. I moved after 31 years (with no furnace problems) and this furnace was put in my new house. The builder installed an Armstrong Air Essential, Series 6009m10823, Model ec1p36cm-1. Right from the beginning we had small problems which the builder fixed for us. Now three years later we had the furnace stop in the spring then two weeks ago and of late this past Saturday night. After forking out $535 I hope the problem has been fixed. If I prevent anyone from buying an Armstrong furnace and having my problems, the time taken here will well be worth it. Be aware they are very aware of the problems this furnace is having. They will replace parts but no compensation for the labor involved. They are still selling this furnace.

Date created: 2013-09-26 Name: Leonard

"Armstrong, Lennox Are All Made by Allied"
We installed Armstrong for years, always had good luck but now they have switched to 33-inch tall models. Our altitude is approximately 3200 feet above sea level. Myself and all other dealer including Lennox dealers are all having issues with the air switches. Allied builds these and many other brand furnaces. Lennox and Armstrong are the only ones we have compared sitting side by side, and yes they are the same furnace regardless of what Lennox will tell you. We have had to turn the air switch out approximately one quarter turn to make the furnace run. We have complained to Allied and they do admit they have a problem finally after bitching for over a year. Beware, Lennox is an Armstrong. Maybe try a Coleman. My one builder only uses them and every one we have installed has not given a problem. Until this new 33-inch tall Armstrong came out, we never had a problem with them either. Thank god we have found a way to keep these new furnaces running. But this fix we are doing under nessaty voids the warranty. Don't know what else to do.

Date created: 2013-09-19 Name: R. Godick
Location: Thunder Bay ON

"Very Unhappy Customer"
I also received an Armstrong furnace after the flood in Thunder Bay 2012. The unit was installed in August 2012, in February it stopped working. Thermomechanical came over and replaced some part that they said was failing on a lot of the furnaces they installed. The furnace has been off since May, it's now mid-September and I need the furnace and it isn't working. I called the company and they said it's not under warranty and I have to pay the bill. They replaced a mid efficiency furnace that lasted over 18 years with very little problems. So I would never recommend an Armstrong furnace to anyone. Here in Northern Ontario, we need a reliable furnace.