Consumer Reviews of ARCOAIRE furnaces

Read more about ARCOAIRE furnaces

Date created: 2014-05-31 Name: JANET SUE HARRIS
Location: Du Quoin, Perry Co., IL

"SUCKS... NOT GOOD"
Unit is also for a/c had it for over one year... Does not heat or cool our home at all. Have to have in summer one ceiling fan on in front room. My bedroom has a tower fan by the register to help cool and a tower fan in kitchen to help keep the thermostat at 78 degrees. Runs non stop for 10 - 15 hours at a time to keep the house comfortable. Power bill is outrageous. What is wrong with this unit?

Date created: 2014-05-16 Name: B Nicholas
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

"Mr Trytofixit"
This Arcoaire is a 80,000 btu 80% efficiency furnace that was an original installation when this townhouse complex was built in 1984. In the first 10 years, the fan motor failed, likely due to not lubricating the two bushings for the fan shaft. Since then, when I change filters (2) I lube the bushings with a Zoomit turbine oiler. (A plastic squeeze bottle with a pullout tube that makes it easy to extend the tip out to lube the hard to reach oil holes). Contains a special?? Type of oil better suited to electric motor shaft bushings. Usually sold at plumbing & heating parts counters. Next problem has the igniter for the electronic ignition system. I have had to replace two of these in the past 10 years. I now keep a spare on hand. $34 item from a local supplier who sells to trades and the public. Most recent problem had really questioning replacing the furnace. Problem presented itself as intermittent no heat. Furnace would get a request for heat from the thermostat, and start its cycle, then shut down in a minute or so, then the "flame induced draft blower motor runs for a minute to purge any unburnt fuel. The furnace control module then tries to light the flame a total of 7 times if it is not successful. The control module has a diagnostic led light that will 1 time repeatedly approximately 2 seconds apart. This identifies a "system lockout" - the furnace stopped trying to light the flame, because it was unsuccessful. In my case, the gas control valve was at fault, it has a rubber plunger that moves up and down as it feeds fuel to the burner. After 19 years the plunger started sticking / hanging up. This would lead to the furnace lighting one time, then not the next. I had a serviceman come out and it would not light the burner when he arrived. While he was checking it, it started working. He did multiple restarts and could not get it to fail. 5 minutes after he left I tried it again and it failed. When it fails the furnace will try to light and if the burner does not light, the 7 retires take about 10 minutes. This appears to the homeowner as a furnace that is working, but blowing cold air. And if the gas control valve is just starting to fail / stick intermittently, it can be very confusing. A replacement White Rodgers 36 e gas valve was installed and the furnace runs flawlessly. While troubleshooting this problem the control board was replaced (not needed). The replacement was a White Rodgers 50a55-843 "universal replacement integrated ignition module. This has actually improved the furnace operation as it monitors the first 10 - 15 start ups after it is first installed and adjusts the startup oft efficiency. Parts for this furnace are readily available and only if the heat exchanger cracks does the furnace need replacing. My rating is this has been a good furnace and is still usable as long as 80% efficiency is acceptable.

Date created: 2014-03-12 Name: S. Myers
Location: Ontario

"Buyer beware"
Furnace has been a problem since day one and the warranty covers parts but not labor to remove and install them.

Date created: 2013-01-14 Name: corgow
Location: Edmonton Alberta

"Furnace is not the problem getting parts in Edmonton will break the bank"
We have had our arcoair for over 20 years and love it. Yes gas went off untill we learnt to use a nail file on the igniter. Now the we need parts to fix it paid $200.00 to a company here in Edmonton told them the make , model and part needed . Guy shows up charges us just to tell us he can not find the part. So I keep trying to find parts . Any hints email me. corgow@gmail.com.

Date created: 2012-11-15 Name: E.HARVEY
Location: Roseville.MI

"My Gas Bill is out of this Planet"
What happen to the heat from the Furnace? I have a small 2 Bedroom Condo and my Gas bill is out of this world. I also have an ac and I can not afford to run in the Summer because the ac is not cooling my small Condo in the Summer nor is the Furnace heating my small Condo in the Winter! I wonder why my Basement get all the benefits?

Date created: 2012-02-20 Name: jbf
Location: pittsburgh pa

"Where's the heat ???? Furnace is suppose to heat"
My landlord installed these cold air loud energy eaters this October. My bill has gone outrageous and I am cold all the time. Can't wait to see what happens in summer when they put in the ac unit -- we will probably get heat when we put on the ac. My neighbors agree it blows cold air on heat. What a waste of $.

Date created: 2011-10-04 Name: j p
Location: mi

"Junk arcoaire"
From the point of view of a full time installer and service technician stay away from anything arcoaire N9MP1100J20*. I have never installed one but have torn many fairly new units out and replaced them with carrier or bryant. Take it from me, when it comes to furnaces more so than air conditioners you do get what you pay for so spend a little more now and in the end you will save many time over.

Date created: 2011-04-20 Name: Ken Graham
Location: Owen Sound, Ontario

"Mid efficiency gas furnace"
2 year old furnace and the heat exchanger failed nearly killing someone. Company couldn't care less and wouldn't even cover $500 labour charge. Stay away from International Comfort Products

Date created: 2011-03-08 Name: N. Chappell
Location: Traverse City, MI.

"So far. so good!!"
My buddy had the Arcoaire for a year and when he remodeled his home he had to install a different style. He sold me his for a bargain price. Him and I did the installation at my home 7 yrs ago and it has been a great gas furnace so far; efficient, cost effective and quiet with minimal maintenance. His brother owns a heating & cooling business and swears by Arcoaire.

Date created: 2011-01-30 Name: j.p
Location: south jersey

"Dealer and installer"
I read some all of these reviewes and for the most part these appear on the surface to be installers problems,first and formost equipment sizeing is very important,to big is no good to small the same,your equipment dealer or from who your buying the product from should do a proper heat load calculation on the dwelling and then to insure the proper opration on the equipment check out the duct sizing coming off the furnace,85% of the reviews I read here can be related to either one of those causes not being properly address,some failures will happen no matter who,s furnace you purchase,are far as getting parts on a timely bases,in my 23 years of being on the street Ive never known that to be the case all the major manufactures of hvac equipement as resposive to the costomers needs,its up to the dealer /installer to have that network of responce set up in there corner before selleig the product line,most all HVAC equipment is created equil,its up to the installer/dealer,to make sure the what is prescribe for you job not only works at the thermostat,but support is readlly available.