Consumer Reviews of American Standard furnaces

Read more about American Standard furnaces

Date created: 2010-05-21 Name: R. R. Brown

"Lasts just until the warranty runs out"
Just paid a whopping bill to replace the compressor - fortunately, the part just barely covered by warranty, but service (over $800) was not. That was after replacing a capacitor (not covered by warranty - part or service - another couple hundred bucks there), and of course every fix they make requires me to buy new freon. Now, we've learned there's yet another part that's gone bad - this is like some sort of sick joke. My builder put this piece of junk in - if I could afford to haul it off to the dump and buy a different brand I would.

Date created: 2010-05-20 Name: Kirk
Location: Oklahoma

"Furnace is trash"
I changed from a Lennox and purchased their two stage unit because I was told it would be more efficient. The highest gas bill I ever had was arround 100.00 with the Lennox in fifteen years. This year, I had two months with a bill over 130.00 and one with over 150.00. I live in Okla and keep my thermostat between 67 and 70. Stay clear of this junk. This also may be true of Trane as well, since their parts are interchangeable as per people I have talked to. cil,EWWwaa s mja

Date created: 2010-05-14 Name: R. Franklin

"Poor Quality"
We had a new furnace installed last December. Very noisy, service issues and today we have a bad blower motor. This furnace is over priced and lacks the quality that it should have.

Date created: 2010-04-01 Name: Dan Scheyer

"Dany"
My American Standard furnace broke down so many times I think I've replaced every part in it twice.

Date created: 2010-03-31 Name: U

"Hvac Contractor"
American Standard was the biggest smoke and mirrors dealership that I have ever encountered in 22 years. The parts are expensive and the product is not as bullet proof as they say. More and more chinese content year after year makes it tough to sell it as a quality product even though it is. I feel and it is only my opinion that they should stop trying to compete with Goodman and go back to the quality that everyone expects and forget about the junk that's being built by people like Goodman. If you happen to buy this product line, insure that you as a consumer purchase extended warranty and if your a contractor insist that your customer is informed. Contractors find your own extended warranty company that you can trust American Standard charges thru the roof for theirs! Maybe there's a reason. However, I'm not looking forward to the short years ahead with the out of warranty break downs. This leads to customer dissatisfaction with not only the contractor but the product as well!

Date created: 2010-03-06 Name: Justin

"Justin"
Well, the furnace (American Standard) came with the house in 1967 but in about 2004, we replaced it with a Rheem criterion 2 because the furnace was getting old and we also wanted air conditioning. It still was working fine when it was replaced. The furnace never really had any problems as I believe but I know the Rheem we have now is kind of noisy and every other winter we have to sand the flame sensor because it gets dirty and the flame won't stay lit. But anyways, I would recommend an American Standard furnace to anyone.

Date created: 2010-02-11 Name: MRD

"Recall"
Recently, had to have the receptacle transition replaced (plastic part). Repairman informed me that 3 years ago American Standard ordered a recall because of this part but only notified the distributors. Hey what about the end-buyer?

Date created: 2010-02-04 Name: Jim O'Bryan

"120K BTU 93%AFUE"
More than pleased with both the furnace and a/c units. No repairs in 9 years, lower bills than neighbors with larger homes.

Date created: 2009-12-26 Name: M. Moss

"Can you spell lemmon?"
I had 3 American Standard furnaces installed 9-10 years ago. The 95% unit in my house has had 5 boards, burners, blower motor and numerous little things. It was supposed to have a full 10 yr warranty but it has cost me $2800 in service calls in those 10 years. The second unit is an 80% downflow installed in an attic. It has had a service call almost every year since installation and has cost $2900 in service call over those 9 years. I will admit that some of the problems have been from shoddy installation. The company went bankrupt while installing the second unit. They did not convert it to lp gas and almost burnt the house down! Those charges do not include rebuilding that furnace to replace the heat exchanger and all of the wiring. The third unit, is a 95% downflow that I purchased used and installed it myself above my shop. It has very minimal ductwork so there are no back pressure issues. The only thing that I have done to it was replace the induction fan. American Standard parts are outrageously priced and can only be purchased by their registered dealers. They charged me $250 for the blower fan motor. I picked up the exact same fan from a local electrical repair store for $102. I plan to replace these furnaces asap rather than spend any more money on them.

Date created: 2009-12-22 Name: Martin Gisanti

"Heat exchanger replaced"
I have had to replace my heat exchange at my own cost for labor. I want to know why this happened in such a short time. My old furnace lasted 25 years. Mod.# aux080c942d2 Ser.# 3382drx7g