Consumer Reviews of American Standard furnaces

Read more about American Standard furnaces

Date created: 2011-03-24 Location: Fair Lawn, New Jersey

"The Workhorse in the Basement"
This furnace has been in this house since it was built int he 1950s. My family first moved into this house in 1983, and it's been chugging along just fine since. Wow, it's been 28 years we've technically owned the furnace. We love how it does it's job. It keeps the house nice and warm and never breaks. It's even green, my favorite color! It's in an awkward spot in the middle of the basement, however. But we've been here for so long that we got used to it. Also, it scared the kids when they were younger. There was this giant dusty, fiery dragon in the basement! It hasn't broken. It just keeps working. I'd definitely recommend the brand American Standard to a friend. I don't think you can still get this model though. It is about 60 years old. I'm sure the gas heating technology has improved since then.

Date created: 2011-03-20 Name: Robert
Location: Canada

"The freedom 80"
I had this furnace for 7 years now and has done me well. It has never cause me any trouble and there has been no repairs. This furnace is a little noisy.

Date created: 2011-02-09 Name: Bill Evangelista
Location: EUCLID OHIO

"Noisy and loud."
I purchased Model# 4txcbo31bc3hcaa in 7/2010. The original exhaust motor burned out in 1 week. Then a second motor was installed and was loud as well as vibrating the furnace and duct work. It also was replaced and louder than the first two. I was told all of the motors are loud and vibrate. Now I can here it in my bedroom and feel the vibration on my bed. Is American Standard ever going to fix this problem? Untill this problem is solved,I will not speak well of American Standard.

Date created: 2011-02-07 Name: brian
Location: new orleans

"Service company's"
All ways keep in mind that the unit is as good as the person repairing it. Just because joe mechanic says a part is bad does not necessarily mean it's bad, the tech needs to make money and secure his job, don't take everyone just on their word.

Date created: 2011-02-02 Name: Wilhelmina Cleveland
Location: Detroit Michigan

"I'm a very satified customer"
I wanted someone to be aware that my furnace was installed november 1964, and is still working well, I've only had minor problems with it over 46 years, each time I've had the local gas company come out they tell me that it's a good furnace, and the quality from back then was better than today, just wanted to give credit, where credit was due. I don't have the complaints that the others do, and had thought that I'd replace it with another american standard

Date created: 2011-01-08 Name: J. Insco
Location: Chicago, IL

"Beware of the 10 year, $ 700 warranty.."
Bought A.S. Model AUY 94% eff furnace in 2006. Installer I purchased from is no longer in biz and because I didn't read the fine print on back of the warranty, it became void after the 1'st year because I didn't know I had to have $115 annual, A.S. approved service (cleaning, etc) done. I just had my 2nd service call on this condensing furnace because it was making fan/water noise and found that the little plastic receptor was clogged w/dirt and was causing the inducer fan-motor bearings to fail. My old standard furnace that came when I bought the house (non-condensing, 80% eff.) lasted 30 years ('76 to 2006) when I made the mistake of purchasing A.S. Besides the bill I just paid for $157.80 to have the service man come out and clean the little plastic box(and dirty my bathroom sink), I'm was told that I need to replace the Inducer fan/motor at an additional cost $460.72 (not covered under warranty because I didn't have proper annual service, for a total of $618.22. I can then purchase the service contract for 2 years for an additional $340. It seems apparent, now, that this American Standard furnace was built to be serviced, not to last. The parts I saw the serviceman clean (sort of) and put back could have been off of a toy EasyBake oven. I'm too old to ever have the opportunity to purchase another replacement furnace, but if choose to gamble and buy American Standard or Trane, don't say you weren't warned. Or at least read all of the fine print and know how much it's going to cost you over the life of the system, before you decide to spend the money. In this 6th year of ownership with this furnace, after making the repairs and signing the service contract, I'll have over $1,400 invested in keeping it running. And to all of those who choose the new American Standard furnace because the old one lasted so long, think carefully and know that you will NOT be getting the same quality furnace that you once had.

Date created: 2010-12-23 Name: jag
Location: Boston MA

"LOUSY"
I have had all these problems. This furnace is a piece of crap!

Date created: 2010-12-19 Name: Nove Zdravevski
Location: IL

"Owner of house"
I have 2 units and both broke after 3 years

Date created: 2010-12-09 Name: Matt
Location: burlington

"Auh2b080a9v3"
Just purchased auh2b080a9v3 Not installed yet but being a MFG audiotr at the plant where we make this furnace i have to say the people there do take pride in there work and it is made in america. i KNOW I will be satisfifed after in install

Date created: 2010-12-07 Name: Heather
Location: Jersey shore

"Inductor motor and blower need to be replaced"
My furnace is 8 years old and I was told I need to replace the inductor motor and blower because the corrosion that takes place inside the unit due to poor design ventilation. The cost 1000. Apparently there is a service bulletin out that states this is the fix for this common problem. My contract said I had a 10 year warranty but the company says I should have filed some sort of paper work. I emailed American Standard and they said there was no warranty paper work. Now I am hot but not because I have heat.