Consumer Reviews of American Standard furnaces

Read more about American Standard furnaces

Date created: 2011-02-07 Name: brian
Location: new orleans

"Service company's"
All ways keep in mind that the unit is as good as the person repairing it. Just because joe mechanic says a part is bad does not necessarily mean it's bad, the tech needs to make money and secure his job, don't take everyone just on their word.

Date created: 2011-02-02 Name: Wilhelmina Cleveland
Location: Detroit Michigan

"I'm a very satified customer"
I wanted someone to be aware that my furnace was installed november 1964, and is still working well, I've only had minor problems with it over 46 years, each time I've had the local gas company come out they tell me that it's a good furnace, and the quality from back then was better than today, just wanted to give credit, where credit was due. I don't have the complaints that the others do, and had thought that I'd replace it with another american standard

Date created: 2011-01-08 Name: J. Insco
Location: Chicago, IL

"Beware of the 10 year, $ 700 warranty.."
Bought A.S. Model AUY 94% eff furnace in 2006. Installer I purchased from is no longer in biz and because I didn't read the fine print on back of the warranty, it became void after the 1'st year because I didn't know I had to have $115 annual, A.S. approved service (cleaning, etc) done. I just had my 2nd service call on this condensing furnace because it was making fan/water noise and found that the little plastic receptor was clogged w/dirt and was causing the inducer fan-motor bearings to fail. My old standard furnace that came when I bought the house (non-condensing, 80% eff.) lasted 30 years ('76 to 2006) when I made the mistake of purchasing A.S. Besides the bill I just paid for $157.80 to have the service man come out and clean the little plastic box(and dirty my bathroom sink), I'm was told that I need to replace the Inducer fan/motor at an additional cost $460.72 (not covered under warranty because I didn't have proper annual service, for a total of $618.22. I can then purchase the service contract for 2 years for an additional $340. It seems apparent, now, that this American Standard furnace was built to be serviced, not to last. The parts I saw the serviceman clean (sort of) and put back could have been off of a toy EasyBake oven. I'm too old to ever have the opportunity to purchase another replacement furnace, but if choose to gamble and buy American Standard or Trane, don't say you weren't warned. Or at least read all of the fine print and know how much it's going to cost you over the life of the system, before you decide to spend the money. In this 6th year of ownership with this furnace, after making the repairs and signing the service contract, I'll have over $1,400 invested in keeping it running. And to all of those who choose the new American Standard furnace because the old one lasted so long, think carefully and know that you will NOT be getting the same quality furnace that you once had.

Date created: 2010-12-23 Name: jag
Location: Boston MA

"LOUSY"
I have had all these problems. This furnace is a piece of crap!

Date created: 2010-12-19 Name: Nove Zdravevski
Location: IL

"Owner of house"
I have 2 units and both broke after 3 years

Date created: 2010-12-09 Name: Matt
Location: burlington

"Auh2b080a9v3"
Just purchased auh2b080a9v3 Not installed yet but being a MFG audiotr at the plant where we make this furnace i have to say the people there do take pride in there work and it is made in america. i KNOW I will be satisfifed after in install

Date created: 2010-12-07 Name: Heather
Location: Jersey shore

"Inductor motor and blower need to be replaced"
My furnace is 8 years old and I was told I need to replace the inductor motor and blower because the corrosion that takes place inside the unit due to poor design ventilation. The cost 1000. Apparently there is a service bulletin out that states this is the fix for this common problem. My contract said I had a 10 year warranty but the company says I should have filed some sort of paper work. I emailed American Standard and they said there was no warranty paper work. Now I am hot but not because I have heat.

Date created: 2010-11-11 Name: J Hull
Location: Pittsburgh PA

"Exceptional Upgrade and Performance"
I purchased the Fredom 94 Comfort R furnace with variable speed blower and modulating burner. I am extremely impressed with how quiet it runs and how little the temperature varies in the house. It is so quiet you usually don't even know it is running. It was worth every extra cent to upgrade to this model. In addition, in installed the communicating module for the model. It is great for the traveler and will call your cell phone and your service company if temperatures or humidity levels fall outside the thresholds you set. It also comes with the Comfort Control thermostat, which also measures and displays outside temperatures and provides a higher rate of burn to heat the house if the outside temperature falls below the threshold. I never write reviews but was compelled but the superb performance of the system.

Date created: 2010-11-01 Name: Dale McCargar
Location: Westminster, Colo

"Circuit board"
I had a furnace that was 10 years old, and no problems..I was talked into replacing the furnace just over 5 years ago, and just a month AFTER the warrenty ran out, the circuit board went out, and now I have to replace it to the tune of over $500.. I have no confidenct in the American Standard furnace.. the circuit board should be warrentied much longer than 5 years!! I would suggest that if you have an American Standard, that you get the circuit board replaced BEFORE the warrenty expires...

Date created: 2010-09-20 Name: Nelly
Location: Springfield, VA

"Unit works great"
I had my 20yr old Amana unit replaced with an American Standard split system 2 years ago and it's been working great. It's quiet and efficient. Please note that very little can go wrong with a brand new unit unless the mechanical contractor that put it in did a poor job. I work for a mechanical contractor myself and we install many brands, however the most preferred ones by our customers are AS and Carrier, that's why I decided to go for AS myself. It is also important to do your part of preventive maintenance and not wait until the unit breaks. There are so many people out there who don't even know how to change a filter and when; then 6 months down the road the problems start. Get a clue first and then call the equipment piece of crap. May be by starting to read that manual for once!