Consumer Reviews of American Standard furnaces

Read more about American Standard furnaces

Date created: 2015-11-23 Location: Morrison co

"Heating fast for a good price!"
Our old furnace died in the fall of 2014 just after bringing home our brand new baby. I looked at reviews and we chose to purchase an American Standard model. It heats our home very quickly and our bills have been significantly lower since the purchase. We have had no issues with it and have not had to repair it at all. I would absolutely buy this brand again. The only con is that It was expensive but after seeing the lower bills every month I feel like the cost was worth it.

Date created: 2015-11-09 Location: Boston, MA

"Quick heat and great value!"
We bought this furnace after our ancient American Standard furnace died in the middle of winter last year. So far, we are so impressed with this furnace. It runs well, is quick to heat and has saved us at least $100 on our gas bill compared to our old furnace. We bought this brand again because our old furnace lasted for decades. We figured that this new furnace might last a long time, too. Additionally, this is the same brand of furnace that our families have, and their furnaces have always lasted a long time. I would definitely buy this furnace again.
Date created: 2015-02-16 Name: Hema Jani

"Extremely noisy, very annoying Gold series"
Very noisy Gold series, and there were lots of problems with the installation! Very unsatisfied!
Date created: 2014-11-10 Name: M. Stocking
Location: LaGrange Park, IL

"Beware when buying a new furnace"
I would never buy another American Standard furnace again. I purchased this one a year ago. First, there were problems with the thermostat. Service had to come out three times before the company sent a part to fix that. They didn't charge for the part but I had to pay a service call for two times. Now, the furnace stopped working and I had to call a repair man. He identified the problem as an ignitor switch. The switch is covered under warranty, but not the service call and labor - $209. One does not expect this from a brand new furnace! I have used my service for many years with the old furnace and am disappointed in them for charging to repair the furnace they just installed a year ago.
Date created: 2014-10-18 Name: howard
Location: Florida

"To all complainers here"
First and foremost, as you have read here, no brand is fault proof. All brands break down, some more than others. American Standard is not as good as it used to be, but better than most. Carrier is the absolute pits, and for those who care to listen, I have some true life horror stories. For the people that say only Trane reps should do start up, you are obviously surrounded by idiots. I am not a Trane technician, but have installed dozens of Trane units without a glitch. A/C units are A/C units, easy to understand if you have a brain. Quality has gone down some for sure, but just like your car, A/C units need maintenance. Every customer I have who does a yearly service never has a major problem; just tiny little things once every few years. Problems compound themselves and fester, so waiting too long to see a problem usually leads to many issues, or a major issue. Most of the problems I have been reading about here are due to bad service techs, rather than due to American Standard. So those of you that do price shopping for installers and techs, you get what you pay for. Look at cars on the road and the service departments that handle them. They are always busy, with either repairs or warranty issues. Nothing that is used as much as cars or A/C units, with all the moving parts they have, does not have issues to be looked at. Rheem, American Standard and Ameristar are all good products, and yes, they still have issues. Don't buy Carrier; their customer service is the worst(at least here in South Florida) and the warranty is the worst in the market.
Date created: 2014-09-16 Name: jaime
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

"Freedom 80 Comfort R"
6 Years in (1 Year after warranty) the circuit board and ignitor had to be replaced! The cost was $600.
Date created: 2013-03-19 Name: C Leon
Location: Littleton, CO

"Lasted 2 years after warrany then died."
Lasted 2 years after the 5 year warrany expired then both blowers failed and cost 1/2 the price of the unit to repair. Will not buy again.
Date created: 2013-02-07 Name: Werner Friesendorf
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

"I am very happy with my American Standard Gold ZM"
The new furnace reduced temperature swings and helped to lower my heating bills by 47%. Thanks to the 2 stage heating, running at energy- saving 65 percent capacity more than 80 percent of the time, 97 % efficiency. I do agree it can be the installer who messes up. The company I hired showed me several things the installer from the old furnace did totally wrong. They fixed it all at no extra costs. For example the fresh air intake was too close to the exhaust and the old furnace sucked in a mixture of pollutant with oxygen. That caused the body inside the old furnace to roost and deteriorate. The heat has never been more comfortable than now with my 2-stage Gold ZM furnace.
Date created: 2012-12-04 Name: Susan

"Wouldn't Buy Again"
Installed our furnace on Christmas Day in 2006. We asked for the very best available because our first furnace died after just 7 years in a brand new home. In the past 5 weeks I've had service out 3 times. First because the blower worked, no heat. But now we have heat and no blower. $1,800 to fix the motor and one other part. Do your research and buy something else!
Date created: 2012-08-07 Name: Jesse Winna
Location: Wright, WY

"Run and hide"
My thermostat manual disappeared and I needed to find out some information on it. Easy right? In today's connected world it should be easy. No way - their web site says contact the dealer. The dealer says 7 days for a new manual. Are you kidding me! Thank God it wasn't something broken or I would have been up the creak. Instead I get a system that can't be changed because they are to stupid to put the manuals on their website. Meanwhile I can download an operations manual for my $15 clock from Walmart in 30 seconds.