Consumer Reviews of American Standard furnaces

Read more about American Standard furnaces

Date created: 2018-10-20 Name: Paul Luis
Location: Alexandria, VA

"Cheap components"
Exhaust blower failed after 6 years due to lack of lubrication in "permanently" lubricated bearings that can't be lubricated. This little motor, just like the one in your bathroom exhaust fan, will cost $700 to replace, and I am without heat for 5 days until the special order arrives. A quality furnace would not have failed after only 6 years, or there would have been oil holes on the bearings so that a few drops of oil could cure the problem. You can't maintain "permanently" lubricated bearings because they are sealed and need to be replaced when the oil runs out, which is only a matter of time. Second gripe is the warranty, which is voided if you don't have an annual maintenance visit that costs $200 around here. The maintenance visits we had earlier consisted of opening the furnace, looking at things and going after 2 minutes, because there is nothing to maintain except changing the filter, which you do yourself. If the motor had oil holes, there would be something that needed maintenance, but there is nothing else to maintain. Would you buy a car that you couldn't add oil to? Previous furnace lasted 27 years with one $50 service call the 21st year.

Date created: 2018-10-11 Name: Roger Schlemmer
Location: Hudson, WI

"Excellent Furnace"
Our American Standard natural gas furnace was installed in 1994. Only problem since then: an igniter had to be replaced once. Runs quiet, heats just fine. How can I complain about a furnace that has served us perfectly for 24 years? Maybe the quality has changed since 1994. I hope not.
Date created: 2018-04-08 Name: Lily
Location: De Pere, WI

"Not sure."
Difficult to tell if a jet is going over our new home or if itís just our American Standard furnace running.
Date created: 2018-01-26 Name: Donald Blahovec
Location: Pennsylvania

"Sold bad unit you could care less"
The platinum series heat pump top of the line is nothing but problems. First the compressor goes south and of course the hottest part of summer. I put up with three weeks of no parts trying to find a compressor. Dont you have parts strike one then of course the coldest part of winter it breaks again and parts again takes weeks to get delivered. You should pay the difference on the heating bill but you greedy people probably will never respond and could care less. You finally convinced me not to buy your products. I will tell my petroleum contacts not to use your products in their businesses. Hi
Date created: 2017-12-01 Name: Michael

"Great furnace"
Had my furnace since 2011 and no problem. I get it maintained once a year and everything is great
Date created: 2017-11-05 Name: Peter
Location: Livonia, MI

"Quiet furnace"
I decided to replace my old furnace with one of these new high efficiency units. George from fahrenheit heating and cooling did a great job explaining how the new furnace operates and the crew did a wonderful job installing the furnace. My wife and I can't believe how quiet the furnace is. If our house wasn't warm we wouldn't even know that it's been running.
Date created: 2017-02-09 Name: B Anton
Location: Chugiak, AK

"Thieves and liars"
I bought this furnace by first checking out what kind of schematics were supplied with the unit. All seemed well as the schematics were easy to read making for any troubleshooting that would have to be done down the line. A little less than three years went by before troubleshooting was necessary. At that point I found that the schematic was useless as they had replaced all the wiring with a pc board with no markings. To make matters worse, I was told by a customer disservice representative that the company would pay for the parts under the warranty with the condition that a registered heating service employee would install it. Furthermore, I would have to pay for the installation. To add insult to injury these thieves and liars told me that I would have to pay for the shipping of the parts. The only part I liked about this useless chunk of tin is that I didn't have to install a flue for it. Everything else was useless junk. As for ever buying anything with the American standard label again, not only no, but heck no.
Date created: 2017-01-31 Name: ccampbell
Location: Seattle, WA

"Furnace is a lemon"
Heats well and is quiet but have had to replace the inducer motor 3 times in 7 years. $780 for each replacement not under warranty.
Date created: 2017-01-03 Name: H Hughes
Location: Hartville, OH

"Worst Company I dealt with"
We purchased this heat pump in Dec 2008 and it is not even listed anymore. This is a 16 Seer 3 Ton unit Model number aaywar0004 that worked great until Dec 2011. For the next 3 years it was one problem after another and it got to the point that a rep from Trane had to come out. I tried to get them to replace the entire unit but they would not. We purchased the extended warranty to cover this for 10 years. They pay for all replacement parts and or labor subject to the product coverage listed. Make sure you read it word for word. Does not cover shipping the replacement item so you have to pay for that. Service calls are only covered if during normal hours so if call is outside normal hours then you pay the difference so if you have an issue after hours it will cost you. I will never purchase another American Standard product again.
Date created: 2016-11-06 Name: Hema Jani

"Air quality is very poor"
I have lint-like white gray stuff all over my home and the installer doesn't know how to fix it. Wonder if it's installed properly?