Consumer Reviews of AMANA furnaces

Read more about AMANA furnaces

Date created: 2009-12-22 Name: R J
Location: Toms River, NJ

"Homeowner"
The Amana furnace that we purchased was recommended by the company that installed it in Toms River NJ. We had gone through 7 ignitors, 2 circuit boards, one gas valve and a dozen service calls in 5 years. 7 different technicians, as well as a factory engineer have checked it out last month. I woke up with no heat again. The company that did the install is telling me that the ignitor should be replaced every season, however, they are the only ones saying that, besides I never had an ignitor last a full season. Some of the ignitors failures maybe from oily hands, but not all. I now keep an ignitor by the unit. This is the worst furnace I have ever owned. I am afraid to go away for long periods of time, legal action will be the only resolve since the installer and Amana will not solve the problem. STAY AWAY FROM AMANA..... any positive reviews seem to be from either older units or from people who sell and service them.

Date created: 2009-12-22 Name: Maria

"Thermopompes N & R Sol"
We installed Amana heat pump on July 22, 2009. I canít really say how well the heat pump works but choose your contractor really well. We went with Thermopompes N & R Sol Inc, and I am regretting about our choice. We had to place a service call 4 times already (in 5 months).

Date created: 2009-12-22 Name: CJ

"Amana furnace"
We are going on our fourth year with this horrible furnace. 13 service calls later, we are still frustrated that neither Long's Heating and Air Conditioning of New Jersey who installed the unit, nor Amana, will rectify the situation.

Date created: 2009-12-13 Name: D. Thiel

"Amana air command 90"
Quiet and works perfectly--no service calls---do they still make this model? I will buy another if available.

Date created: 2009-12-12 Name: Natalie Stavenger

"Amana Furnace"
I recently purchased an Amana Variable Speed Furnace in the Barrie Ontario area. Salesman told me it was the best furnace on the market and has a total unit replacement warranty. Turns out it is not a modulating furnace like York or Rheem and has only two stages. I paid more for the Amana and it is extremely loud and makes a clicking noise all night. They tried to fix it but no luck. You think I can get the unit replaced. Absolutely not. Beware of this unit replacement gimmick. It's like any other warranty, great until you need it.

Date created: 2009-12-09 Name: Ranganathan

"Amana Home Furnace"
I installed a new Amana furnace and air conditioner in our home (2005). During winter when we want heat, the furnace never starts. Every winter, I have had to call the heater mechanic several times. So far he has not succeeded. My recommendation is do not throw your hard earned money into buying an Amana home furnace.

Date created: 2009-11-24 Name: rick

"Ignitor"
All brands of furnaces had problems with hot surface ignitors. if you have a furnace that have had to replace it two or more times in five years. your furnace service tech should be offering you a option of installing a ignitor upgrade kit. the new ignitor kit has the same ignitor that is being installed in new furnaces . the kit that we sell has a five year warranty, can be installed on any brand of furnace. old ignitors were made of silicon carbide, new style silicon nitride which are more durable and longer life. the cost is 2 1/2 to 3 times the cost to install kit, but will stop the problem.

Date created: 2009-11-22 Name: Rod

"Same old stories"
It seems that you can read just about the same stories for any brand of furnace, on this website and any other that I have searched. Some like them, others hate them. It seems to me that installation is the key. One thing that I have learned is that there is a lot of confusion among installers as to the size of the furnace. Some do a seat-of-pants load calculations based on averages for the region and get a warm and fuzzy feeling for the size--others just look at the old furnace and judge it from there. But customers (and of course, the "unbiased" dealers that provide advice)are not provided with much clarity as to which brands are better than others, and for what reasons. Even the Consumers Report ratings based on complains and faults do not vary much--from a low of 13% to a high of 16%. So that is not of too much use.

Date created: 2009-11-17 Name: Mr Todd B

"Distinction"
Bought this unit new to replace a 20 year old furnace thinking I would see less repairs. Boy was I wrong!! Igniter has blown out twice plus a board fried. What a piece of junk. Makes you wonder if this garbage is made in Mexico. Bottom line is stay away from Amana/Goodman.

Date created: 2009-10-31 Name: R March

"Beware - Amana Distintions Brand"
Beware of the the amana Distinctions Brand that some of the furnace seller and Direct Energy push. These are nothing more than than a Goodman but they are charging higher prices. In fact the part numbers and brochures are identical. If you want an Amana make sure the model# they are selling starts with an a (Amana) and not a g (Goodman) example: AMV... Amana variable speed DC (Stainless steel) GMV... Goodman variable speed DC (Aluminized steel)