Consumer Reviews of AMANA furnaces

Read more about AMANA furnaces

Date created: 2009-12-12 Name: Natalie Stavenger

"Amana Furnace"
I recently purchased an Amana Variable Speed Furnace in the Barrie Ontario area. Salesman told me it was the best furnace on the market and has a total unit replacement warranty. Turns out it is not a modulating furnace like York or Rheem and has only two stages. I paid more for the Amana and it is extremely loud and makes a clicking noise all night. They tried to fix it but no luck. You think I can get the unit replaced. Absolutely not. Beware of this unit replacement gimmick. It's like any other warranty, great until you need it.

Date created: 2009-12-09 Name: Ranganathan

"Amana Home Furnace"
I installed a new Amana furnace and air conditioner in our home (2005). During winter when we want heat, the furnace never starts. Every winter, I have had to call the heater mechanic several times. So far he has not succeeded. My recommendation is do not throw your hard earned money into buying an Amana home furnace.

Date created: 2009-11-24 Name: rick

"Ignitor"
All brands of furnaces had problems with hot surface ignitors. if you have a furnace that have had to replace it two or more times in five years. your furnace service tech should be offering you a option of installing a ignitor upgrade kit. the new ignitor kit has the same ignitor that is being installed in new furnaces . the kit that we sell has a five year warranty, can be installed on any brand of furnace. old ignitors were made of silicon carbide, new style silicon nitride which are more durable and longer life. the cost is 2 1/2 to 3 times the cost to install kit, but will stop the problem.

Date created: 2009-11-22 Name: Rod

"Same old stories"
It seems that you can read just about the same stories for any brand of furnace, on this website and any other that I have searched. Some like them, others hate them. It seems to me that installation is the key. One thing that I have learned is that there is a lot of confusion among installers as to the size of the furnace. Some do a seat-of-pants load calculations based on averages for the region and get a warm and fuzzy feeling for the size--others just look at the old furnace and judge it from there. But customers (and of course, the "unbiased" dealers that provide advice)are not provided with much clarity as to which brands are better than others, and for what reasons. Even the Consumers Report ratings based on complains and faults do not vary much--from a low of 13% to a high of 16%. So that is not of too much use.

Date created: 2009-11-17 Name: Mr Todd B

"Distinction"
Bought this unit new to replace a 20 year old furnace thinking I would see less repairs. Boy was I wrong!! Igniter has blown out twice plus a board fried. What a piece of junk. Makes you wonder if this garbage is made in Mexico. Bottom line is stay away from Amana/Goodman.

Date created: 2009-10-31 Name: R March

"Beware - Amana Distintions Brand"
Beware of the the amana Distinctions Brand that some of the furnace seller and Direct Energy push. These are nothing more than than a Goodman but they are charging higher prices. In fact the part numbers and brochures are identical. If you want an Amana make sure the model# they are selling starts with an a (Amana) and not a g (Goodman) example: AMV... Amana variable speed DC (Stainless steel) GMV... Goodman variable speed DC (Aluminized steel)

Date created: 2009-10-22 Name: Karl Reimer

"Amana or Goodman"
I purchased a High End Amana Furnace last year in Toronto. The unit is a total lemon, ignitor failed in the first month. Contractor told me that they are very brittle and replaced, this year it would not start for thesame reason and was replaced again. I no longer trust my Furnace and am afraid to go to the cottage. The Lennox Mid-Eff I replaced worked for 18 years, no problems. I feel cheated as I paid a lot more for the Amana over a new Lennox as it had a Stainless Steel Heat Exchanger. It turns out what I really got was a Goodman, not an amana with no ss Heat Exchanger. Don't buy this brand

Date created: 2009-10-11 Name: Tom Albitz

"Homeowner"
We have a htm plus heating system, installed 9/1986, that also heats our water. The unit has been very satisfactory. We have replace the circulating pump 3 times, replaced the ingitor 5 times, had the heating coil cleaned once, computer replaced and replaced the thermostat. All this seems reasonable, the pump was the most troublesome as it cracked at the circulating head twice. The pump motor was ok and only the head replaced as it is fiberglass resin, last time I had the whole pump replaced. the circulating fluid (antifreeze) has been replaced 3 times, when the pump was repaired. It is very efficient,especially the hot water system, it never runs out! When should I consider replacing the burner?

Date created: 2009-10-03 Name: E. Stanley

"Ed"
I am in the process of replacing my 23 year old Amana Air Command 80 furnace. Wonderful service; just four unscheduled service calls over the life of the unit. First one was related to intermittent ignition; Dealer installed a separate ground wire to water pipe under warranty. Have had just one igniter replaced. Someone on the thread said “Do not touch igniter surfaces.” That and a good ground connection is the secret. Plus a solid attachment so they do not vibrate. Also had to replace the controller in the a/c unit. The reason for current replacement is intermittent furnace ignition; the main gas valve is faulty, it does not supply enough gas pressure to support ignition. Good pressure at the inlet but below spec pressure at the burner. It has been adjusted to its highest setting but it is still intermittent. I have rust from A/C condensation in the A coil pan and the plenum. The humidifier needs to be replaced. It just seems that after 23 years my luck will finally run out. The unit was serviced by the installing dealer every fall, probably another reason that the unit performed so well. The original dealer is now a Trane and Rheem Dealer. I will let him talk but I am seriously looking for a local Amana Dealer to give me an estimate. I have read a number of Trane and Rheem reviews; they left me confused. People either liked them very much or disliked them very much; no middle ground. The same seems to be somewhat true for the Amana products.

Date created: 2009-10-02 Name: j paoli

"Amana air comand 90 gas furnace"
My furnace censor above sparker to light gas always goes off shutting down the furnace