This page lists resources that relate to furnaces that pump warm air through the ducts of your home.
If you are looking for information on heating systems that transfer heat through hot water or steam -- and distribute that heat around your home through radiators, you can find more information on our pages dedicated to boilers.
Articles on Buying a Furnace
The most common way to install a new furnace is to hire a heating contractor that will size your furnace (determine how large a furnace you should buy), present you with alternatives and then install the unit in your home. The following resources describe how this proces works and provide suggestions on how to negotiate an agreement that you're happy with.
- 10 Best Furnaces for 2017
- Buying a Furnace
- 2013 Furnace Price Guide
- How to Choose a Furnace Contractor
- How to Buy an Electric Furnace
- High Efficiency Furnaces
- How to Negotiate with Heating Contractors
- Getting the most from your Furnace Warranty
- HVAC and Customer Support
- An Interview with Trane on Furnace Quality
- Installing a Furnace
- How to Calculate a High-Efficiency Furnace's Payback Period
- Furnace Manufacturers
- How to Buy a Whole House Humidifier
- Spring and Fall Manufacturer Incentives
- Governmental and Utility Rebates
Articles on Comparing Furnaces
Most homeowners that install a new furnace need to choose between competing furnaces. Perhaps they have a single contractor that offers multiple models; perhaps multiple contractors have offered multiple models. We have pulled together the data that we think is most important in comparing furnaces: specifications and efficiency, customer reviews and price.
Articles on Maintaining your Furnace
Once you own a furnace, there are a range of common maintenance tasks: annual maintenance, changing filters, hiring a contractor to make repairs and more. These articles address each of these tasks in detail:
- Furnace Repairs
- What to Do When Your Furnace Blows Cold Air
- Did your Furnace Fail Because of a Manufacturer's Defect or an Installer's Error?
- Furnace Filters
- Annual Furnace Maintenance
- Introductions to common furnace replacement parts
- Convert to Natural Gas
- Waiting for Furnace Repairs? 5 Steps to Prepare
Paying for Heat
We have a series of articles that discuss topics as varied as how to reduce your monthly heating bills, how to negotiate the cost of a new furnace, and how to help others that are having a hard time keeping their homes warm.
Different Types of Furnaces
"Furnace" is a very broad term, and it can include many different systems to heating your home. The following resources provide information on the many pieces of equipment that may be characterized as a furnace.
- Heat Pumps
- Oil vs Propane Furnaces
- Heating with a Propane Furnace
- Outdoor Wood Boilers and Furnaces
- Pellet Stoves
- Wood-Burning Stoves
Popular High-Efficiency 90+ AFUE Gas Furnaces
- Bryant Evolution Plus 90i
- Carrier Infinity 96
- Goodman GMV95
- Lennox G61V
- Rheem Classic 90 Modulating Furnace
- Tempstar SmartComfort VS90
- Trane XL90
- Trane XR90
- Trane XV90
- Trane XV95
- Westinghouse 92+
- York Affinity 9V