Consumer Reviews of Mahoning coal furnaces

#1  of 3 brands of coal furnaces

5 of 5 stars 1 review

Read more about Mahoning coal furnaces

Read reviews of other Coal Furnace brands

Date created: 2015-02-26 Name: J. Andrews
Location: McConnellsburg, PA

"Why didn't I do this sooner?"
Let me start out stating that I am located in south central Pennsylvania. Last winter we had endured a few polar vortex weather anomalies which threw my electric bill into the $500 a month range heating with a heat pump. I live in a single wide mobile home, mind you, (insurance company will absolutely not let an indoor woodstove be installed) and that was the cost of me keeping our home @ an average of 66 degrees. Our plans are to live here until we build a house and then rent the mobile out; so when the idea to get an outdoor furnace came about, we decided it would not be worth the money to have one installed. In Pennsylvania you can no longer install a new outdoor wood furnace (unless you already had one installed before the legislation; then you are grandfathered in) unless it is a Stage 2 and the price of one of these units is substantially higher than the traditional units. Also, Stage 2 units require more maintenance. Then we found out we were pregnant with our first child. Can't keep a house 66 degrees with a newborn. I did some research and found that in Pennsylvania a traditional-style outdoor coal furnace is still legal to be installed. After researching a while I ordered my Mahoning in the fall. I highly suggest placing orders in the summer because mine did not make it until December due to a high influx of orders for the winter season; they get backed up. It's been in a little over a month now and I absolutely love it. This unit is heating my 900 square foot home, a 336 squar foot out building, and my domestic hot water. I have not burned any coal in my coal furnace yet, only wood. I fill it in the morning before I go to work and then again before I go to bed. I have a few acquaintances with older Mahoning wood furnaces and there are a lot of design changes that have been made for greater efficiency. The new furnace exhaust is sent through the back and then out as compared with the old style, which just went straight out of the top. Water tubes are in the top of the firebox now to heat water with lower blower times. Check them out to see other changes made. To sum it all up, I love my furnace and would recommend it to anyone. I wish I would have installed it sooner, but hindsight is 20/20. I will update this if possible if anything changes, and to state the difference in my electric bill as time goes on.