Consumer Reviews of WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Read more about WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Date created: 2011-02-07 Name: E. Courtney
Location: [email protected]

"Home owner"
Williamson unit works like a champ. It has been in for three yrs and I have NO problems

Date created: 2011-01-08 Name: ken B
Location: New London, NH

"Constant repair and is inefficient"
I will never do business with the heating contractor that sold and installed the Weil-Mclain cgi-6 boiler. It breaks down, has constant smells due to propane leaks and is inefficient. After five years I have to look for a new heating system that will get me through the winter without servicemen having to continuously traipse through my home.
Date created: 2011-01-08 Name: Shawn Steffen
Location: Attleboro,MA

"15 hours old"
People tell me good things about weil mclain products. In my case not so good. It is 15 hours old and I came in to water coming out the back of unit.The tech came out and said it is a bad rear section and needs to be swithched out. It is friday night and now I have to wait till monday to get a answer as to when this will happen. In the meantime water is just coming out the back of unit. Not a good start! This is the ultra uo-3 model.
Date created: 2010-12-20 Name: Thomas Sutton
Location: Canaton, OH

"Architect"
Boiler lost efficiency right from the start and failed to work after five years even after recommended maintanance.
Date created: 2010-12-15 Name: J. French
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota

"COMPUTER CONTROLS"
I would like to add my comments to the chorus of very unsatisfied users of the Weil-Mclain Ultra series of hot water boilers. Almost from the installation of the Ultra-80 boiler in October, 2008 I have had problems with the computer controls. The boiler has gone into a maintenance lockout or flow too fast lockout. I can plan on this happening at least monthly. So far I have been able to reset the system but I don't dare leave the house for more than a few hours at a time. Not much chance of getting out of Minnesota for a winter vacation. This is a new house with a new boiler. The installing contractor has come by but just scratches his head, resets the system if I have not and leaves. No help there! He says he has been in contact with the company but they sure giving him the runaround or something. I could never recommend and would certainly never buy another product from this company!
Date created: 2010-12-08 Name: akton marls

"Well, I'm happy enough."
It replaced an aero line brand that 45 years old. It's oil fired, the gold series. It's 85% efficient, which is great! It's only had one problem: customer service. They are awful. But if you buy a Weil-Mcclain of any type, it should work fine.
Date created: 2010-11-23 Name: D. Andres
Location: Ohio

"Ultra 155"
Update to previous post. After 64 hours the blower assembly has been replaced and I have heat and hot water. This unit is 2 years old. Glad the weather is unusually warm for November
Date created: 2010-11-22 Name: D Andres
Location: Ohio

"Broken new boiler"
Boiler with water heater is just 2 years old. Have had no heat or hot water and it will be 48 hours before the service person can get a part. The code on the Weil-Mclain says E-29 meaning a control module but now we are looking at a heat exchanger. Supposed to be under warranty but who is paying the labor? It shouldn't be ME!
Date created: 2010-10-20 Name: pod
Location: R.I.

"GV-Gold gas boiler"
Worked well for about a year and since then it locks out when the outside temperature gets very cold. Can restart by cutting power and it works for an hour, a day , a week and then all over again. On the coldest nights it will lock out 5-6 times. I have installed a timer to shut it off and on a few times a night to avoid pipe freeze.Three service visits and two control units later still a problem. I would never contemplate buying anything from this company. They used to be highly regarded (when the units were simple) but no longer. STAY AWAY is my recommendation.
Date created: 2010-10-05 Name: Fred Small
Location: Chicago,IL

"Electronic pilot light fails frequently"
I have a cgi-8 Weil Mclain. Installed in the fall of 2008. The first winter I needed one service call per month. The control board failed on one of the coldest Chicago winter days. Then the transformer failed. Worst is the electronic pilot light that fails frequently. Either the pilot light wont come on or it stays on and the gas valve wont open because it detects a problem with the pilot light. I just tested the boiler last week because it's October and it's getting cold. Again, the electronic pilot light has failed. God, I hate this Weil Mclain boiler after having a 50 year-old behemoth boiler that was 100% reliable.