Consumer Reviews of WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Read more about WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Date created: 2010-10-05 Name: Fred Small
Location: Chicago,IL

"Electronic pilot light fails frequently"
I have a cgi-8 Weil Mclain. Installed in the fall of 2008. The first winter I needed one service call per month. The control board failed on one of the coldest Chicago winter days. Then the transformer failed. Worst is the electronic pilot light that fails frequently. Either the pilot light wont come on or it stays on and the gas valve wont open because it detects a problem with the pilot light. I just tested the boiler last week because it's October and it's getting cold. Again, the electronic pilot light has failed. God, I hate this Weil Mclain boiler after having a 50 year-old behemoth boiler that was 100% reliable.

Date created: 2010-10-05 Name: JAG GREWAL
Location: NEW HAMBURG,ONTARIO,CANADA

"CGI-6 167 BTU"
I HAVE TWO BOILERS INSTALLED AT MY MOTEL. ONE IS BARELY TWO YEARS OLD AND THE OTHER ABOUT 4 YEARS. THE OLDER ONE QUIT IN MARCH 2010 AND THE OTHER HAS STARTED LEAKING NOW.I AM TOLD THE HEAT EXCHANGERS ARE LEAKING AND I NEED NEW BOILERS.THIS IS SHOCK TO ME AS THE QUOTES ARE MIND BLOWING. I AM AMAZED THAT THE COMPANY TALKS OF A LIMITED LIFE TOME WARRANTY WHERE AS TWO BOILERS HAVE QUIT IN LESS THAN 4 YRS . I DONOT RECOMMEND THESE BOILERS TO ANYONE.

Date created: 2010-09-14 Name: Gary Senier
Location: Buffalo, Wy

"Poor product, poor support"
Bought this boiler some time around march 2010. first of september 2010 the main gas valve went bad. It has been 2 weeks to ship a replacement so far and it still isnt here yet. Also that valve was on recall. I dont think it should have been sent out from the distirbutor with a recalled valve on it. This product is for our busines and I was and still am broke-down waiting for a replacment valve. We are a small company and 2 weeks lost production may very well be the closing of our business!!!! I also need a tankless/on demand water heater but definatley wont be buying a weil-mclain.!!!

Date created: 2010-08-26 Name: J. Patterson

"Love this boiler"
I have had this boiler since April 1999. I have it cleaned every season. It has been very reliable plus we have the summer winter system. We never run out of hot water. I replaced an old Repco steel unit with this cast iron boiler and would do it again in a heart beat. Great equipment!!! Plus, it is a lot more efficient than the last boiler too.

Date created: 2010-08-08 Name: RW Totson

"Very BAD"
I guess it's a weil mcclain, it looks like one. But it says bruis on the front. I think it's pronounced: b r o o I s or something. anyway, the casing cracked, and when I tried to get some help, cust. service guy started talking gibberish of some sort! Get a buderus unit

Date created: 2010-08-08 Name: Bill Dolson

"WM GVA gas boiler"
The unit was installed in march 2009. It replaced an older cgs unit. the cgs unit cracked two years into living in the house. this was because of the anti-freeze the installer put in. it ate away at the rubber gasket that wm still puts in the boiler sections. installers bad. We are very satisfied with our gva unit, and to all you homeowners how complain about how terrible weil mclain is, you have probably done 0 upkeep.

Date created: 2010-04-21 Name: JH

"Rally awful"
The first one had to be replaced within 3 years. The second one never worked right. Too hot, too cold, over and over. Weil-McLain was rarely available for cust service when we had contractors here, and when we finally figured out that the factory setting was done wrong, they said that because the heater was too large for the house, they did nothing wrong. They are a terrible company and make a terrible product. It's the definition of what's wrong with American Manufacturing. Makes vw look honest.

Date created: 2010-03-22 Name: M P Fontaine

"Disappointed"
We had an Ultra 105 installed in our new home in November 2005. It seemed to heat the house fine, but turned off for seemingly no reason many times over the next 4 years. We had service people come regularly and the problem seemed to be corrected. But this winter, it started turning off again. My husband cleaned it, but this time it wouldn't remain on. He quickly discovered that the problem was much bigger this time. There was a crack in the heat exchanger and water was running out. This happened in February and our house had to be heated by a small gas stove in our living room for 3 days until a service man could come. The damage was so bad that we decided to scrap the whole thing and replace it with a Knight boiler. This was certainly unexpected $6000+ expense for us only 5 years after installing the Weil-McLain. I would not recommend these boilers. Ours was nothing but trouble for us and caused a lot of worry and frustration.

Date created: 2010-03-17 Name: Peter Torres Sr.

"Mr.Peter Torres Sr."
This is my second year with the Weil-Mclain Gold series wgto4 and it has been excellent. My heating bill has dropped 25% compared to the last two years. I have no compaint.

Date created: 2010-01-31 Name: Just a Tech

"Typicaly NOT the boiler"
I am a certified technician for every boiler, furnace, air conditioner and water heater manufacturer sold in this country and a few European models. As for Weil-McLain, this boiler is a "Cadillac" of boilers. A yearly tune-up and proper planned maintenance is the key to longevity and smooth operation. Also, having this service performed by "certified technicians from a reputable company". It is a costly endeavor. Around $400.00 a year depending on location. All of the problems I've read here aside from cracking castings.. (typically due to improper installation.. even if it doesn't happen for years) are poor workmanship or lack of proper maintenance or poor quality replacement parts. A thermocouple going bad repeatedly .. more often than every 3 years.. is a sign of a different problem. Improper venting or pilot settings or blocked flu-ways. Roll out switches going bad.. the same thing. They don't just go bad. Some reset .. some don't .. if it trips.. There is a problem in the venting, or chimney. Yes, the newer solid state electronics are persnikity at best. Not Weil-McLains doing. Honeywell controls are on everything from every company. The one flaw I can truly find was when Weil-McLain tried their own burner. The QB series. Poorly engineered and only on the market for a couple of years. A huge mistake. Now, you will only find Beckett, Carlin, or Riello. All wonderful burners. Well hahaha.. if properly installed and set up right. I guess the moral of the story is... you get what you pay for and if you look for the cheapest service company, or some guy you know that says he knows about that stuff, well .. you deserve what you get. lol. People are trained for a reason.