Consumer Reviews of WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Read more about WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Date created: 2012-09-03 Name: Barry S.
Location: Maryland

"Had W-M installed in 1994"
We had a Weil-McLain boiler installed professionally in 1994. Live in Maryland and have used it quite often. Have not had a bit of trouble with it!!! After 18 years, I believe it has served us very, very well and not sure why all the negatives. Will be looking to replace it soon, only because of it's efficiency and how much more efficient the ones are of today.

Date created: 2012-08-18 Name: Phil D'
Location: Dover NH

"Never a problem"
I have had a Weil- Mclein oil boiler in my home for 22 years and had never once had a break down! I have the unit cleaned yearly and thats it. I am looking for a boiler for a rental I own and was quite supprised to see the negative reviews. I intend to install a w-m in my rental and am trusting I will have the same good experience.
Date created: 2012-01-12 Name: J. Wojski
Location: No. Kingstown, Rhode Island

"Is this a sign of things to come?"
We had a Mclain boiler installed by a professional 3 years ago. The pressure temperature gauge is leaking. I'm just waiting for it to fail catastrophically and flood the basement. I'm waiting for the tenant to be away for a while to make the fix. My brother who owns 80 housing units doesn't remember the last time he saw a gauge fail. So much for a 4 thousand dollar unit!
Date created: 2012-01-10 Name: terry potier
Location: sturgeon bay,wi

"Yearly breakdowns"
This is the second Super High Efficiency furnace I have owned in 8 years. This Ultra 80 has not made it through a winter since it was installed 4 years ago. It has a 5 year warranty thank God. I recently contacted Weil-McLain to extend the warranty beyond the 5 years or send one of their technicians to look at my furnace and all I got was a phone number for my furnace guy to call which he already has. The first furnace company ignored me as soon as the warranty was up and I have a feeling Weil-Maclain will ignore me as soon as their warranty is up. I;m afraid they're all the same.
Date created: 2011-12-08 Name: jeff
Location: Columbus, OH

"Bad service"
Needed a new section of cast iron, it split open at the support rail, took over a week to get it while was below freezing outside, was told it was on the way twice.
Date created: 2011-10-28 Name: C. Reehl
Location: Gouldsboro, PA

"What a nightmare...."
Well, we built our house in 1998 and had a Weil-Mclain Gold Oil Furnace installed. We moved in sometime in January and on Good Friday had our first failure. Without fail, we have had failures every year since then.It is now around 11:30 P.M. on a Friday night and I just got the unit back on line. I'm hoping this is one of the two average failures that we will experience this year.
Date created: 2011-10-26 Name: G. Bocelli
Location: Mount Laurel NJ

"Propane Boiler that can't be beat"
The best boiler money can buy. I have had only two problems in twenty seven years. One was a bird came down the chimney and got into my blower motor. It was easy to replace. The other was a water pump wore out. Not a problem. I use this Weil-Mclain HE Series #3 boiler summer and winter. I want to convert to natural gas if parts are available. If not, I will buy another Weil-Mclain.
Date created: 2011-09-20 Name: Bill

"5 section Gold oil fired Steam"
This boiler out performs 3 previous boilers in this building and is still running after 9 years with out a hick up. The only negative was it was heavier than taking down the stairs to the basement. Thank you Weil-Mclain!
Date created: 2011-05-18 Name: Often Cold
Location: PA

"Unreliable, Expensive and Poorly Supported"
We've had an Ultra 230 for 4 winters for we have never had a winter without problems. Multiple broken starters, compromised fire chamber gaskets, gas exhaust escaping into the house, fire hazard...on and on. There's always another excuse from wm about why it was the installer's fault (Which is extremely ironic becasue I've had their area reps & techs look at the system and i)even they didn't know how the system is supposed to be installed, ii) they don't actually know how to work it). They also claim they don't have problems like ours on their units. So supposedly "we are the first." But I scanned prior reviews here and I can see they clearly have them quite often. So its been our hard won experience that the system dies in the middle of the winter, when its below freezeing. Then their parts are not available when needed and their support is ridiculously slow or non-existant. I've seen my boiler guy wait for hours on the phone to get technical support. John Q. Homeowner can't even talk to their tech's so you'd better have a very patient boiler guy. I've been days without heat while we wait for some part to come from michigan factory. So thats all terrible right. To add insult to injury, the system costs just as much to run as the 30 year old system it replaced. Sorry for the rant. Thank you Furnacecompare for creating a site where owners can learn from each other and avoid purchasing mistakes. Bottom line. I bought WM's system based on their brand thinking they make good products and stand behind them. They don't. They sold me a piece of junk at top of the line prices. Its become clear to me that I will need to rip it out and start over. BTW-- Take a look at the preceeding 2 reviews...they are ridiculously obvious plants. Weil McLain..why don't you try improving your rating the old fashioned way. By improving your products..... rather than creating fake reviews.
Date created: 2011-05-04 Location: Chicago, IL

"Best Boiler ever used in Home"
I have been using this boiler for more than one year. I like this boiler pretty much other than the old boilers that i do have. Nothing much to dislike about the boiler and everything is pretty much good about this boiler. I do have a problem with the plumber after placing the boiler because there is little room for the boiler to fit and then the work from the boiler company is pretty much awesome because they reacted in no time and cleared my problem as soon as they can. yes, i will recommend the same boiler to my friends, in fact i had already done that to couple of my friends.