Consumer Reviews of WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Read more about WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

• AHE (1 review)

Date created: 2010-04-21 Name: JH

"Rally awful"
The first one had to be replaced within 3 years. The second one never worked right. Too hot, too cold, over and over. Weil-McLain was rarely available for cust service when we had contractors here, and when we finally figured out that the factory setting was done wrong, they said that because the heater was too large for the house, they did nothing wrong. They are a terrible company and make a terrible product. It's the definition of what's wrong with American Manufacturing. Makes vw look honest.

Date created: 2010-03-22 Name: M P Fontaine

"Disappointed"
We had an Ultra 105 installed in our new home in November 2005. It seemed to heat the house fine, but turned off for seemingly no reason many times over the next 4 years. We had service people come regularly and the problem seemed to be corrected. But this winter, it started turning off again. My husband cleaned it, but this time it wouldn't remain on. He quickly discovered that the problem was much bigger this time. There was a crack in the heat exchanger and water was running out. This happened in February and our house had to be heated by a small gas stove in our living room for 3 days until a service man could come. The damage was so bad that we decided to scrap the whole thing and replace it with a Knight boiler. This was certainly unexpected $6000+ expense for us only 5 years after installing the Weil-McLain. I would not recommend these boilers. Ours was nothing but trouble for us and caused a lot of worry and frustration.

Date created: 2010-03-17 Name: Peter Torres Sr.

"Mr.Peter Torres Sr."
This is my second year with the Weil-Mclain Gold series wgto4 and it has been excellent. My heating bill has dropped 25% compared to the last two years. I have no compaint.

Date created: 2010-01-31 Name: Just a Tech

"Typicaly NOT the boiler"
I am a certified technician for every boiler, furnace, air conditioner and water heater manufacturer sold in this country and a few European models. As for Weil-McLain, this boiler is a "Cadillac" of boilers. A yearly tune-up and proper planned maintenance is the key to longevity and smooth operation. Also, having this service performed by "certified technicians from a reputable company". It is a costly endeavor. Around $400.00 a year depending on location. All of the problems I've read here aside from cracking castings.. (typically due to improper installation.. even if it doesn't happen for years) are poor workmanship or lack of proper maintenance or poor quality replacement parts. A thermocouple going bad repeatedly .. more often than every 3 years.. is a sign of a different problem. Improper venting or pilot settings or blocked flu-ways. Roll out switches going bad.. the same thing. They don't just go bad. Some reset .. some don't .. if it trips.. There is a problem in the venting, or chimney. Yes, the newer solid state electronics are persnikity at best. Not Weil-McLains doing. Honeywell controls are on everything from every company. The one flaw I can truly find was when Weil-McLain tried their own burner. The QB series. Poorly engineered and only on the market for a couple of years. A huge mistake. Now, you will only find Beckett, Carlin, or Riello. All wonderful burners. Well hahaha.. if properly installed and set up right. I guess the moral of the story is... you get what you pay for and if you look for the cheapest service company, or some guy you know that says he knows about that stuff, well .. you deserve what you get. lol. People are trained for a reason.

Date created: 2010-01-19 Name: Toni Blacklock

"Toni blacklock"
Weil-Mclain customer service is horrific. I would not recommend. They don't honor their warranty.

Date created: 2009-12-11 Name: Jim

"Weil mclain"
We have a gas fired steam boiler, it replaced a similar weil mclain unit that was 20 plus years old, before it started to fail. The newer unit works well, but we have not noticed any reduction in gas consumption.

Date created: 2009-12-06 Name: R. May

"Educated Homeowner"
For many years, Weil-Mclain built, what have proven over time, one of the best, if not the best cast iron natural draft boiler with standing pilot light. I have owned many of their boilers over the years, with the youngest one being 40 years and the oldest being, 60 years. However... The Weil boiler in my current house is 40 years old, and for the year, I have been researching the kind of boiler I would like to purchase. I know that Weil has had different owners, and I heard that they no longer foundry their own castings. I look on the internet, and it is disturbing to see the kind of complaints people have about the company. It seems to me, that too many are related to them not standing behind their product. A warranty is not worth the paper that it is written on if the party making the warranty only looks at the bottom line. This is particularly true when you see a company change hands many times, and even the employees are unhappy. I suppose they can get castings from China, but it could mean years of problems. I do believe in cast iron low efficiency boilers, however, as there is little to wrong with them. Don't you love hearing that in a world bent of efficiency. The problem is that, from what I can tell, the real efficiency difference between a high-tech and a cast iron is only 9-10 percent. Is it worth paying 2-3 times as much to install, and then spend a lot more for the maintenance on a high-tech. There are the castings, the high limit switch, a transformer, a relay, and a gas valve. Don't even bother with electronic ignition...it saves little. If you want to contact me, give them a copy of this review, and tell them to give you my email address on file.

Date created: 2009-11-13 Name: Gary

"I am an installer.."
Do not buy Wiel Mcclain Boilers!! They are overpriced,expensive to repair and do not honor waranties!! Their factory reps are jerk offs and they will do everything to find a reson not to pay a claim let alone reimburse the contractor for his time. Ct. Liscenced installer

Date created: 2009-10-09 Name: M Corrigan

"Very poor tech support"
Went from oil to gas weil mclain ultra 155 on 08-13-08 and as of todays date 10-09-09 after one year I finaly got the boiler repaired by the field rep. He replaced the so called brain and circuit board. Boiler now runs great.My heating installer had a lot of trouble getting a service rep. to show up. Very bad customer relations.

Date created: 2009-03-12 Name: B. Barnes
Location: Wisconsin

"Bad gas valve, bad warranty policy"
Ultra 105, gas control valve went out in winter. Building unoccupied, lucky to have discovered it or could have been big trouble. very dissatisfied with the way Weil McLain manages warranty - card was in back of manual which was left with boiler by installer for future maintenance. No card, no coverage despite positive proof the boiler is less than 5 years in service. Was told that some parts aren't covered, are considered "consumables". Absurd policy, will never buy another Weil McLain product ever and will recommend against them.