Consumer Reviews of WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Read more about WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Date created: 2012-12-29 Name: Laura
Location: Xenia, OH

"Avoid Weil-McClain"
We spent thousands of dollars on a new wm boiler and could not be any less happy with it. It shuts down and 'locks out' in the coldest weather and doesn't seem to be fixable. The repairman has been here countless times and even brought a WM area rep once and we still have problems. We were induced to buy by being told we could save up to 40% on our gas bill. After three heating seasons, we have had exactly a big fat zero reduction in our CF usage. Our old boiler wasn't even a problem, just the pump. This was a HUGE mistake. I hate this boiler. I would never, ever recommend buying a WM boiler unless I had a grudge against the person and wanted some really great revenge.

Date created: 2012-12-12 Name: R. Erskine
Location: Woodstock NY

"Gold Series Failure after 15 years"
Front cast iron section of boiler cracked and leaking after just a little less than 15 years of service. Requires complete replacement. Have a 19 years old Blue Series Weil McLain in my other house, has worked well without problems. Company changed hands in the 1990's and quality control was not maintained.

Date created: 2012-12-03 Name: Douglas Jones
Location: Anchorage Alaska

"Frustrated in Alaska"
We had a new Gold gv-3 installed in July 2009. after about 2 years it sarted making loud banginfg noises (explosions) which would dislodge the direct vent exhaust gasket and allow exhaust fumes into the house. These were investigated and determined to be "hard Starts" About 2 months ago a very loud explosion woke us up. I inspected it to find the exhasust duct blown apart and the vent cap blown off the top, the cap was found in my yard. Since then, the unit make a low rumbling noise upon start up and we've had technicians and distribitor reps out at least 4 times to attempt a diagnosis to no avail. This mornigng it was 57 degrees in my house 0 F outside! Apparantly after another service call a pump is malfunctioning since it is pumping hot water out of my house! Try your luck with a different brand!

Date created: 2012-10-04 Name: J HOULE
Location: Michigan

"Ultra 80"
Constant eo2 code. Have to manually restart. This problem has occurred steadily over 6 years !!!! This was a NEW boiler installed in a NEW home. We are now forced to purchase a new furnace. Weil-McLain could care less.

Date created: 2012-09-03 Name: Barry S.
Location: Maryland

"Had W-M installed in 1994"
We had a Weil-McLain boiler installed professionally in 1994. Live in Maryland and have used it quite often. Have not had a bit of trouble with it!!! After 18 years, I believe it has served us very, very well and not sure why all the negatives. Will be looking to replace it soon, only because of it's efficiency and how much more efficient the ones are of today.

Date created: 2012-08-18 Name: Phil D'
Location: Dover NH

"Never a problem"
I have had a Weil- Mclein oil boiler in my home for 22 years and had never once had a break down! I have the unit cleaned yearly and thats it. I am looking for a boiler for a rental I own and was quite supprised to see the negative reviews. I intend to install a w-m in my rental and am trusting I will have the same good experience.

Date created: 2012-01-12 Name: J. Wojski
Location: No. Kingstown, Rhode Island

"Is this a sign of things to come?"
We had a Mclain boiler installed by a professional 3 years ago. The pressure temperature gauge is leaking. I'm just waiting for it to fail catastrophically and flood the basement. I'm waiting for the tenant to be away for a while to make the fix. My brother who owns 80 housing units doesn't remember the last time he saw a gauge fail. So much for a 4 thousand dollar unit!

Date created: 2012-01-10 Name: terry potier
Location: sturgeon bay,wi

"Yearly breakdowns"
This is the second Super High Efficiency furnace I have owned in 8 years. This Ultra 80 has not made it through a winter since it was installed 4 years ago. It has a 5 year warranty thank God. I recently contacted Weil-McLain to extend the warranty beyond the 5 years or send one of their technicians to look at my furnace and all I got was a phone number for my furnace guy to call which he already has. The first furnace company ignored me as soon as the warranty was up and I have a feeling Weil-Maclain will ignore me as soon as their warranty is up. I;m afraid they're all the same.

Date created: 2011-12-08 Name: jeff
Location: columbus ohio

"Bad service"
Needed a new section of cast iron, it split open at the support rail, took over a week to get it while was below freezing outside, was told it was on the way twice.

Date created: 2011-10-28 Name: C. Reehl
Location: Gouldsboro, PA

"What a nightmare...."
Well, we built our house in 1998 and had a Weil-Mclain Gold Oil Furnace installed. We moved in sometime in January and on Good Friday had our first failure. Without fail, we have had failures every year since then.It is now around 11:30 P.M. on a Friday night and I just got the unit back on line. I'm hoping this is one of the two average failures that we will experience this year.