Consumer Reviews of WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Read more about WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Date created: 2013-06-22 Name: Carla Jordan
Location: Huntington Long Island

"Nine Year Old Boiler"
27 repairs in ten years. Don't buy this boiler, no heat Christmas, New Years day, Easter Sunday. I need divine intervention.

Date created: 2013-05-27 Name: m gunning

"Junk Junk"
I bought this house in 2001. This boiler worked fine the first six months. Then it decided it didn't want to start. I had the service guy come out and it would work fine for a couple weeks. Since then I have had them out no less than a dozen times. Here is a list of things that had to be replaced. The blower, castiron water jacket, igniter, control module, transformer and the cone. Now, May 2013 when it gets damp outside it refuses to start. Save yourself some grief and do not buy a Weil-Mclain!!

Date created: 2013-03-07 Name: PA Toussaint
Location: Carroll County, NH

"Ultra 155 Can I trust tech support?"
We have a wm Ultra 155 which was mfg in 2005 and installed in a new contruction home which was first occupied in March 2006. We bought the home fully applianced in December of 2010, our realtor was especially impressed with the boiler which is the only thing which has required repair. Frequent plural repairs. Less than 30 days after moving in we came home to find the boiler off,with an error code flashing. I wish I had written down the lockout code,indicating failed Control Board. We werent sure when boiler was installed or if under warranty,so we ate the cost of the part and labor. Since we travel frequently on business that winter we were loaned a heat alarm by gas company. No problems for the rest of that year or for most of 2012 which was lucky as we returned the borrowed heat alarm. August 2012 we began to experience hard lockouts E-18 for heat sensor, we repalced the indicated sensor;alternating with several Codes E-04, hard lockout after power outages. This resulted in the installation of a Power Fluctuation Protection devise, an after factory add-on, which had been previously been offered to homeowners by WM but never installed here because the builder had not registered the installation and previous homeowner never sent in the all important Homeowners Protection Plan registration card. The gas/service company couldnt get WM to comp this part but on the service managers advice I called my self, WM rep was sweet as pie and had one sent to me immediately as homeowner. We ate the installation costs. February 2013 more lockout codes and service calls and calls to tech support and our service manager is being told that code now means we need a replacement for the 2 week old sensor AND/OR the 2 year old Control Board, parts warranted for 1 year. Sensor is 2 weeks old so we go with another very expensive Control Board. March 2013 Two weeks later no heat, metallic thunk coming from boiler,flashing soft lockout codes indicate that the Sensor is picking up another too high temp reading which now indicates Circulating Pump needs to be replaced. And according to our service manager, most likely the newest control board was not necessary, and who knows if the sensors were bad or not if lack of circulation was triggering sensor codes. THey put back control board from February and credit me the $650 dallars for 3rd control board. 36 hours later, no heat, new set of flashing soft lockout codes which now require the adding of some high tech cleaner/ solution to the boiler. We have not had any gas leaks, we do use propane or water leakage issues and have not been told the heat exchanger has been compromised but how many of the failed/cracked heat exchangers came after the addition of this recommended cleaning solution? Is there any info or stats on that?

Date created: 2013-01-05 Name: J Normark
Location: Seeley Lake, MT

"Don't buy this boiler"
We have had continual problems since installation in 2005. The boiler goes out frequently, requiring manual reset . We had to replace the controller board twice and the entire firebox, seals, etc. once. It still doesn't work consistently, requiring us to have people constantly check it while out of town during mt winters. It will be out the door shortly!

Date created: 2012-12-12 Name: R. Erskine
Location: Woodstock NY

"Gold Series Failure after 15 years"
Front cast iron section of boiler cracked and leaking after just a little less than 15 years of service. Requires complete replacement. Have a 19 years old Blue Series Weil McLain in my other house, has worked well without problems. Company changed hands in the 1990's and quality control was not maintained.

Date created: 2012-12-03 Name: Douglas Jones
Location: Anchorage Alaska

"Frustrated in Alaska"
We had a new Gold gv-3 installed in July 2009. after about 2 years it sarted making loud banginfg noises (explosions) which would dislodge the direct vent exhaust gasket and allow exhaust fumes into the house. These were investigated and determined to be "hard Starts" About 2 months ago a very loud explosion woke us up. I inspected it to find the exhasust duct blown apart and the vent cap blown off the top, the cap was found in my yard. Since then, the unit make a low rumbling noise upon start up and we've had technicians and distribitor reps out at least 4 times to attempt a diagnosis to no avail. This mornigng it was 57 degrees in my house 0 F outside! Apparantly after another service call a pump is malfunctioning since it is pumping hot water out of my house! Try your luck with a different brand!

Date created: 2012-10-04 Name: J HOULE
Location: Michigan

"Ultra 80"
Constant eo2 code. Have to manually restart. This problem has occurred steadily over 6 years !!!! This was a NEW boiler installed in a NEW home. We are now forced to purchase a new furnace. Weil-McLain could care less.

Date created: 2012-09-03 Name: Barry S.
Location: Maryland

"Had W-M installed in 1994"
We had a Weil-McLain boiler installed professionally in 1994. Live in Maryland and have used it quite often. Have not had a bit of trouble with it!!! After 18 years, I believe it has served us very, very well and not sure why all the negatives. Will be looking to replace it soon, only because of it's efficiency and how much more efficient the ones are of today.

Date created: 2012-08-18 Name: Phil D'
Location: Dover NH

"Never a problem"
I have had a Weil- Mclein oil boiler in my home for 22 years and had never once had a break down! I have the unit cleaned yearly and thats it. I am looking for a boiler for a rental I own and was quite supprised to see the negative reviews. I intend to install a w-m in my rental and am trusting I will have the same good experience.

Date created: 2012-01-12 Name: J. Wojski
Location: No. Kingstown, Rhode Island

"Is this a sign of things to come?"
We had a Mclain boiler installed by a professional 3 years ago. The pressure temperature gauge is leaking. I'm just waiting for it to fail catastrophically and flood the basement. I'm waiting for the tenant to be away for a while to make the fix. My brother who owns 80 housing units doesn't remember the last time he saw a gauge fail. So much for a 4 thousand dollar unit!