Consumer Reviews of WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Read more about WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Date created: 2015-02-06 Name: Jay
Location: Illinois

"Weil-McClain apparently is a bad choice"
I wish we knew some of the "bad things" before installing a Weil-McLain hot water boiler (heating system) less than 5 years ago. It started locking out and shutting down when the weather turned cold a couple of months back. Now it has died completely - in the middle of the winter. We are having trouble getting parts for repair. If we have to replace it, it will not be with a Weil-McLain product.

Date created: 2015-01-28 Name: Thomas
Location: Washington, DC

"Avoid Weil Mclain"
It often goes on lockout/shutdown, always on the coldest nights. And the unit is only in its second year, with the tech coming out for the 5th time this winter. Don't waste your $$ on Weil McLain products.

Date created: 2015-01-21 Name: Robin Roi
Location: Brooklyn, NY

"Double trouble"
We purchased two Weil-McLain gas fired water boilers with tankless heaters for our two-family home in January, 2009. We have had many repairs over the 5 years we have owned these units. It was installed and recommended by "Fast Repair" in Brooklyn, New York. Our constant complaint has been the cycling of hot water in the showers. We've never have had enough hot water to fill a tub and the showers go from hot to cold in about two minutes, then about 3 minutes of cold discomfort and then slowly it cycles to warm, then hot, and continues to cycle. No one has ever been able to fix the problem for more than a couple of months. Now the coil in one of the boilers is completely rusted out and needs to be replaced for $1,000.00 in parts and $400.00 in labor. My current contractor says these units just need replacing...after 5 years!

Date created: 2015-01-02 Name: Tom
Location: Barrington, IL

"Completely undependable"
I live in the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois, and had 3 Weil-Mclain boilers installed in my new home in 2005. I have radiant heat and the design/build firm picked my HVAC contractor, and the contractor chose these boilers. I have had nothing but problems from day one. Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. My HVAC contractor has been at my house 4-6 times a year to fix something on these boilers. Some years it's been a lot more frequent. Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine that I would be spending thousands of dollars a year to just try to keep my boilers running. Water leaks, circuit boards, pumps, heat exchangers - all have failed and now I only have 2 boilers running. My third boiler is completely dead due to a hole in the heat exchanger. This boiler was used for parts to keep another of my boilers running. How can this company stay in business with such a poor product? My contractor even admitted to me that this company made a faulty product and I have 3 of them. This brand is horrible. I would never use it again. It has no value to me or others if you read all the reviews. I have not gone even 1 year without numerous visits to repair something on 1 of my boilers.

Date created: 2014-11-08 Name: S Gardner
Location: Fayetteville, PA

"Customer service is the worst I have ever worked with"
The unit is a very good unit but the customer service sucks. They downright lied and they were very unhelpful.

Date created: 2014-09-21 Name: C. Button
Location: Newfoundland , Canada

"50 years and going strong"
I live in a 50-year-old, 3800 square foot, 2 house and garage that I have completely renovated. The furnace was a Weil-McLain boiler, as I have cast iron, water-heated baseboard radiation. I live in eastern Canada (climate is 7 months of winters and 5 months of hard sledding). This old trojan has been going strong for half a century and the service guys test it at 95% efficient. Despite living in an oil producing area, the costs of oil are regulated only by the marketplace and they have and will continue to rise, so we're converting to electrically-heated water distribution, as the price is regulated by a state-owned corporation which produces it from hydro dams. Bottom line...I can't be more satisfied with this unit and if they produced electric home heating boilers, I'd buy theirs! By the way - in disassembling this 300 lb unit for replacement, I have looked inside and outside the guts of the unit and it is simply like it had been used for a year. Amazing!

Date created: 2014-08-20 Name: Michael Klein
Location: Westchester, NY

"Weil McLain Ultra 230 is garbage"
Professional plumber installed Ultra 230 in 2008. A month ago I heard banging and I called service. They told me that for the Ultra 230 there were recalls and that they need parts. After a week they got one part, now they need another part and saga goes on. Weil McLain is not helpful at all. I tried to call them directly but it was a waste of time. Stay away from that boiler and that company.

Date created: 2014-01-09 Name: Dan Graz
Location: Glen Cove, NY

"Do not buy Weil Mclain"
My parents have a Weil Mclain furnace and it almost killed them. The chamber broke and allowed co to enter the house. I spoke to Weil Mclain and they said the chamber should be replaced every 5 years. Can you imagine, you have to replace the chamber every 5 years otherwise it may kill you. The co in my parents house reached 166 ppm which is lethal! Be warned, do not purchase a Weil Mclain furnace.

Date created: 2013-11-06 Name: G. Luke
Location: Hobart, Indiana

"The Rock"
I purchased my old home from my parents in 1975. They bought it from my grandparents in 1968. The Weil McLain boiler installed by my grandfather in 1967 while he was prepping the house to sell to my parents, is still down there, running perfectly well. I have it checked by professionals every few years and have heard "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" many times. I am on this website simply assuming it won't run forever and trying to shop and prepare. I'll bet they don't make them like mine anymore.

Date created: 2013-07-24 Name: Mike R
Location: Connecticut

"Boiler Leaks"
I installed a Weil-McLain model 68 oil-fired hot water boiler in 1993. In 2012, it started slowly leaking water on my basement floor. I am so disappointed. The boiler is limping along as of 2013 and needs to be replaced. I will never buy another Weil-McLain boiler again - or any gasketed boiler for that matter. I have no reason to believe that any gasket materials can withstand the test of time for boilers.