Consumer Reviews of WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Read more about WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Date created: 2015-01-02 Name: Tom
Location: Barrington, IL

"Completely undependable"
I live in the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois, and had 3 Weil-Mclain boilers installed in my new home in 2005. I have radiant heat and the design/build firm picked my HVAC contractor, and the contractor chose these boilers. I have had nothing but problems from day one. Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. My HVAC contractor has been at my house 4-6 times a year to fix something on these boilers. Some years it's been a lot more frequent. Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine that I would be spending thousands of dollars a year to just try to keep my boilers running. Water leaks, circuit boards, pumps, heat exchangers - all have failed and now I only have 2 boilers running. My third boiler is completely dead due to a hole in the heat exchanger. This boiler was used for parts to keep another of my boilers running. How can this company stay in business with such a poor product? My contractor even admitted to me that this company made a faulty product and I have 3 of them. This brand is horrible. I would never use it again. It has no value to me or others if you read all the reviews. I have not gone even 1 year without numerous visits to repair something on 1 of my boilers.

Date created: 2014-11-08 Name: S Gardner
Location: Fayetteville, PA

"Customer service is the worst I have ever worked with"
The unit is a very good unit but the customer service sucks. They downright lied and they were very unhelpful.

Date created: 2014-09-21 Name: C. Button
Location: Newfoundland , Canada

"50 years and going strong"
I live in a 50-year-old, 3800 square foot, 2 house and garage that I have completely renovated. The furnace was a Weil-McLain boiler, as I have cast iron, water-heated baseboard radiation. I live in eastern Canada (climate is 7 months of winters and 5 months of hard sledding). This old trojan has been going strong for half a century and the service guys test it at 95% efficient. Despite living in an oil producing area, the costs of oil are regulated only by the marketplace and they have and will continue to rise, so we're converting to electrically-heated water distribution, as the price is regulated by a state-owned corporation which produces it from hydro dams. Bottom line...I can't be more satisfied with this unit and if they produced electric home heating boilers, I'd buy theirs! By the way - in disassembling this 300 lb unit for replacement, I have looked inside and outside the guts of the unit and it is simply like it had been used for a year. Amazing!

Date created: 2014-08-20 Name: Michael Klein
Location: Westchester, NY

"Weil McLain Ultra 230 is garbage"
Professional plumber installed Ultra 230 in 2008. A month ago I heard banging and I called service. They told me that for the Ultra 230 there were recalls and that they need parts. After a week they got one part, now they need another part and saga goes on. Weil McLain is not helpful at all. I tried to call them directly but it was a waste of time. Stay away from that boiler and that company.

Date created: 2014-01-09 Name: Dan Graz
Location: Glen Cove, NY

"Do not buy Weil Mclain"
My parents have a Weil Mclain furnace and it almost killed them. The chamber broke and allowed co to enter the house. I spoke to Weil Mclain and they said the chamber should be replaced every 5 years. Can you imagine, you have to replace the chamber every 5 years otherwise it may kill you. The co in my parents house reached 166 ppm which is lethal! Be warned, do not purchase a Weil Mclain furnace.

Date created: 2013-11-06 Name: G. Luke
Location: Hobart, Indiana

"The Rock"
I purchased my old home from my parents in 1975. They bought it from my grandparents in 1968. The Weil McLain boiler installed by my grandfather in 1967 while he was prepping the house to sell to my parents, is still down there, running perfectly well. I have it checked by professionals every few years and have heard "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" many times. I am on this website simply assuming it won't run forever and trying to shop and prepare. I'll bet they don't make them like mine anymore.

Date created: 2013-07-24 Name: Mike R
Location: Connecticut

"Boiler Leaks"
I installed a Weil-McLain model 68 oil-fired hot water boiler in 1993. In 2012, it started slowly leaking water on my basement floor. I am so disappointed. The boiler is limping along as of 2013 and needs to be replaced. I will never buy another Weil-McLain boiler again - or any gasketed boiler for that matter. I have no reason to believe that any gasket materials can withstand the test of time for boilers.

Date created: 2013-06-22 Name: Carla Jordan
Location: Huntington Long Island

"Nine Year Old Boiler"
27 repairs in ten years. Don't buy this boiler, no heat Christmas, New Years day, Easter Sunday. I need divine intervention.

Date created: 2013-05-27 Name: m gunning

"Junk Junk"
I bought this house in 2001. This boiler worked fine the first six months. Then it decided it didn't want to start. I had the service guy come out and it would work fine for a couple weeks. Since then I have had them out no less than a dozen times. Here is a list of things that had to be replaced. The blower, castiron water jacket, igniter, control module, transformer and the cone. Now, May 2013 when it gets damp outside it refuses to start. Save yourself some grief and do not buy a Weil-Mclain!!

Date created: 2013-03-07 Name: PA Toussaint
Location: Carroll County, NH

"Ultra 155 Can I trust tech support?"
We have a wm Ultra 155 which was mfg in 2005 and installed in a new contruction home which was first occupied in March 2006. We bought the home fully applianced in December of 2010, our realtor was especially impressed with the boiler which is the only thing which has required repair. Frequent plural repairs. Less than 30 days after moving in we came home to find the boiler off,with an error code flashing. I wish I had written down the lockout code,indicating failed Control Board. We werent sure when boiler was installed or if under warranty,so we ate the cost of the part and labor. Since we travel frequently on business that winter we were loaned a heat alarm by gas company. No problems for the rest of that year or for most of 2012 which was lucky as we returned the borrowed heat alarm. August 2012 we began to experience hard lockouts E-18 for heat sensor, we repalced the indicated sensor;alternating with several Codes E-04, hard lockout after power outages. This resulted in the installation of a Power Fluctuation Protection devise, an after factory add-on, which had been previously been offered to homeowners by WM but never installed here because the builder had not registered the installation and previous homeowner never sent in the all important Homeowners Protection Plan registration card. The gas/service company couldnt get WM to comp this part but on the service managers advice I called my self, WM rep was sweet as pie and had one sent to me immediately as homeowner. We ate the installation costs. February 2013 more lockout codes and service calls and calls to tech support and our service manager is being told that code now means we need a replacement for the 2 week old sensor AND/OR the 2 year old Control Board, parts warranted for 1 year. Sensor is 2 weeks old so we go with another very expensive Control Board. March 2013 Two weeks later no heat, metallic thunk coming from boiler,flashing soft lockout codes indicate that the Sensor is picking up another too high temp reading which now indicates Circulating Pump needs to be replaced. And according to our service manager, most likely the newest control board was not necessary, and who knows if the sensors were bad or not if lack of circulation was triggering sensor codes. THey put back control board from February and credit me the $650 dallars for 3rd control board. 36 hours later, no heat, new set of flashing soft lockout codes which now require the adding of some high tech cleaner/ solution to the boiler. We have not had any gas leaks, we do use propane or water leakage issues and have not been told the heat exchanger has been compromised but how many of the failed/cracked heat exchangers came after the addition of this recommended cleaning solution? Is there any info or stats on that?