Consumer Reviews of WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

• AHE (1 review)

Date created: 2012-01-10 Name: terry potier
Location: sturgeon bay,wi

"Yearly breakdowns"
This is the second Super High Efficiency furnace I have owned in 8 years. This Ultra 80 has not made it through a winter since it was installed 4 years ago. It has a 5 year warranty thank God. I recently contacted Weil-McLain to extend the warranty beyond the 5 years or send one of their technicians to look at my furnace and all I got was a phone number for my furnace guy to call which he already has. The first furnace company ignored me as soon as the warranty was up and I have a feeling Weil-Maclain will ignore me as soon as their warranty is up. I;m afraid they're all the same.

Date created: 2011-12-08 Name: jeff
Location: columbus ohio

"Bad service"
Needed a new section of cast iron, it split open at the support rail, took over a week to get it while was below freezing outside, was told it was on the way twice.

Date created: 2011-10-28 Name: C. Reehl
Location: Gouldsboro, PA

"What a nightmare...."
Well, we built our house in 1998 and had a Weil-Mclain Gold Oil Furnace installed. We moved in sometime in January and on Good Friday had our first failure. Without fail, we have had failures every year since then.It is now around 11:30 P.M. on a Friday night and I just got the unit back on line. I'm hoping this is one of the two average failures that we will experience this year.

Date created: 2011-10-26 Name: G. Bocelli
Location: Mount Laurel NJ

"Propane Boiler that can't be beat"
The best boiler money can buy. I have had only two problems in twenty seven years. One was a bird came down the chimney and got into my blower motor. It was easy to replace. The other was a water pump wore out. Not a problem. I use this Weil-Mclain HE Series #3 boiler summer and winter. I want to convert to natural gas if parts are available. If not, I will buy another Weil-Mclain.

Date created: 2011-09-20 Name: Bill

"5 section Gold oil fired Steam"
This boiler out performs 3 previous boilers in this building and is still running after 9 years with out a hick up. The only negative was it was heavier than taking down the stairs to the basement. Thank you Weil-Mclain!

Date created: 2011-05-18 Name: Often Cold
Location: PA

"Unreliable, Expensive and Poorly Supported"
We've had an Ultra 230 for 4 winters for we have never had a winter without problems. Multiple broken starters, compromised fire chamber gaskets, gas exhaust escaping into the house, fire hazard...on and on. There's always another excuse from wm about why it was the installer's fault (Which is extremely ironic becasue I've had their area reps & techs look at the system and i)even they didn't know how the system is supposed to be installed, ii) they don't actually know how to work it). They also claim they don't have problems like ours on their units. So supposedly "we are the first." But I scanned prior reviews here and I can see they clearly have them quite often. So its been our hard won experience that the system dies in the middle of the winter, when its below freezeing. Then their parts are not available when needed and their support is ridiculously slow or non-existant. I've seen my boiler guy wait for hours on the phone to get technical support. John Q. Homeowner can't even talk to their tech's so you'd better have a very patient boiler guy. I've been days without heat while we wait for some part to come from michigan factory. So thats all terrible right. To add insult to injury, the system costs just as much to run as the 30 year old system it replaced. Sorry for the rant. Thank you Furnacecompare for creating a site where owners can learn from each other and avoid purchasing mistakes. Bottom line. I bought WM's system based on their brand thinking they make good products and stand behind them. They don't. They sold me a piece of junk at top of the line prices. Its become clear to me that I will need to rip it out and start over. BTW-- Take a look at the preceeding 2 reviews...they are ridiculously obvious plants. Weil McLain..why don't you try improving your rating the old fashioned way. By improving your products..... rather than creating fake reviews.

Date created: 2011-05-04 Location: Chicago, IL

"Best Boiler ever used in Home"
I have been using this boiler for more than one year. I like this boiler pretty much other than the old boilers that i do have. Nothing much to dislike about the boiler and everything is pretty much good about this boiler. I do have a problem with the plumber after placing the boiler because there is little room for the boiler to fit and then the work from the boiler company is pretty much awesome because they reacted in no time and cleared my problem as soon as they can. yes, i will recommend the same boiler to my friends, in fact i had already done that to couple of my friends.

Date created: 2011-02-25 Name: R. Vrhovc
Location: Rockaway, NJ

"Direct vent oil burner"
Our boiler is about 5 years old. It's in the garage and vented directly to the exterior of the house. We've had trouble since day 1 with the burner cutting out, especially in real cold weather. i got some weil Mclain engineer on the horn and he sent some "patch" kit that consisted of one valve and a little blanket to put inside to pick up condensation. That didn't work either. The boiler is a piece of junk.

Date created: 2011-02-24 Name: Paul

"Runs like crap"
Have boiler contractor put the right nozzle in larger nozzles will make boiler run like shit

Date created: 2011-02-14 Name: Bob Cirafice
Location: Massachusetts

"Weil mclean Explosion ONLY 3 YRS. OLD"
Wtgo series 3 oil fired good but loud for 1 yr then nothing but problems after it is now 3 years old and had an explosion and blow back and it blew apart the vent pipes and soot went throughout the house and service tech replaced fuel pump and motor on burner he had me introduce air which I did then said I need more air which I put in a fan in a can still runs like crap the cost of repairs now are more than a wholesale cost of boiler. stay away from these boilers !!!!