Consumer Reviews of WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

• AHE (1 review)

Date created: 2015-01-21 Name: Robin Roi
Location: United States

"Double trouble"
We purchased two Weil-McLain gas fired water boilers with tankless heaters for our two-family home in January, 2009. We have had many repairs over the 5 years we have owned these units. It was installed and recommended by "Fast Repair" in Brooklyn, New York. Our constant complaint has been the cycling of hot water in the showers. We've never have had enough hot water to fill a tub and the showers go from hot to cold in about two minutes, then about 3 minutes of cold discomfort and then slowly it cycles to warm, then hot, and continues to cycle. No one has ever been able to fix the problem for more than a couple of months. Now the coil in one of the boilers is completely rusted out and needs to be replaced for $1,000.00 in parts and $400.00 in labor. My current contractor says these units just need replacing...after 5 years!

Date created: 2015-01-02 Name: Tom
Location: Barrington, IL

"Completely undependable"
I live in the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois, and had 3 Weil-Mclain boilers installed in my new home in 2005. I have radiant heat and the design/build firm picked my HVAC contractor, and the contractor chose these boilers. I have had nothing but problems from day one. Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. My HVAC contractor has been at my house 4-6 times a year to fix something on these boilers. Some years it's been a lot more frequent. Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine that I would be spending thousands of dollars a year to just try to keep my boilers running. Water leaks, circuit boards, pumps, heat exchangers - all have failed and now I only have 2 boilers running. My third boiler is completely dead due to a hole in the heat exchanger. This boiler was used for parts to keep another of my boilers running. How can this company stay in business with such a poor product? My contractor even admitted to me that this company made a faulty product and I have 3 of them. This brand is horrible. I would never use it again. It has no value to me or others if you read all the reviews. I have not gone even 1 year without numerous visits to repair something on 1 of my boilers.

Date created: 2014-11-08 Name: S Gardner
Location: Fayetteville, PA

"Customer service is the worst I have ever worked with"
The unit is a very good unit but the customer service sucks. They downright lied and they were very unhelpful.

Date created: 2014-09-21 Name: C. Button
Location: Newfoundland , Canada

"50 years and going strong"
I live in a 50-year-old, 3800 square foot, 2 house and garage that I have completely renovated. The furnace was a Weil-McLain boiler, as I have cast iron, water-heated baseboard radiation. I live in eastern Canada (climate is 7 months of winters and 5 months of hard sledding). This old trojan has been going strong for half a century and the service guys test it at 95% efficient. Despite living in an oil producing area, the costs of oil are regulated only by the marketplace and they have and will continue to rise, so we're converting to electrically-heated water distribution, as the price is regulated by a state-owned corporation which produces it from hydro dams. Bottom line...I can't be more satisfied with this unit and if they produced electric home heating boilers, I'd buy theirs! By the way - in disassembling this 300 lb unit for replacement, I have looked inside and outside the guts of the unit and it is simply like it had been used for a year. Amazing!

Date created: 2014-08-20 Name: Michael Klein
Location: Westchester, NY

"Weil McLain Ultra 230 is garbage"
Professional plumber installed Ultra 230 in 2008. A month ago I heard banging and I called service. They told me that for the Ultra 230 there were recalls and that they need parts. After a week they got one part, now they need another part and saga goes on. Weil McLain is not helpful at all. I tried to call them directly but it was a waste of time. Stay away from that boiler and that company.

Date created: 2014-03-12 Name: Chad

"Ultra Plus 40 Water Heater"
Had Weil-Mclain boiler & water heater installed on 08/18/10. Everything working great until the other day I noticed water on the floor around the water heater. I dried up the water to see if I could find out where the water was coming from. One place was the automatic air valve on top of the unit. This just drips water out slowly. The second one is coming out in- between the black bottom and the tank. Weil-Mclain only covers the cost of the part, not labor. So, after only 3.5 years I have to spend a couple hundred dollars to get it fixed already.

Date created: 2014-01-11 Name: L. Meyer
Location: Xenia, OH

"DO NOT NOT NOT BUY THIS BRAND!!!"
This unsatisfactory review includes extreme dissatisfaction with Heifner Heating in Xenia. It was they who were responsible for recommending and installing this huge mistake and they who told us we would save money on heating. Our old boiler developed a leak in the pump. Nothing wrong with the boiler itself, just the pump. Could have replaced it for about $1100. Instead we were talked into a whole new boiler for more like $7000. Said we would see as much as 40% savings on our gas bill. There has been absolutely NO reduction in our gas *usage* (money cost can't be fairly compared due to price increases) and this boiler has been an absolute piece of undependable JUNK and nothing but a headache. As others have noted, it shuts off and locks out during the coldest weather. "Factory trained techs" come out and work on it and it's fine until the next cold snap, the time you really need your heat. Additionally, we can no longer turn the thermostat down at night because it takes....are you ready for this?....between four and five hours to return the house to the set temperature in the morning. Yep, this incredible piece of crap will raise the temperature in our house by a whopping ONE DEGREE PER HOUR! I have no words that will express how sorry I am that I did not know enough to read reviews before buying. Stay as far away from Weil-McLain as you can!

Date created: 2014-01-09 Name: Dan Graz
Location: Glen Cove, NY

"Do not buy Weil Mclain"
My parents have a Weil Mclain furnace and it almost killed them. The chamber broke and allowed co to enter the house. I spoke to Weil Mclain and they said the chamber should be replaced every 5 years. Can you imagine, you have to replace the chamber every 5 years otherwise it may kill you. The co in my parents house reached 166 ppm which is lethal! Be warned, do not purchase a Weil Mclain furnace.

Date created: 2013-12-24 Name: chancellor
Location: Quad Cities, Iowa

"PROBLEMS...and more problems"
2010 installation. Service calls commenced within 1 wk of installation. I am of the opinion that Weil-McLain has poor quality components. Further, the service techs seem clueless about this gas hot water boiler.

Date created: 2013-11-06 Name: G. Luke
Location: Hobart, Indiana

"The Rock"
I purchased my old home from my parents in 1975. They bought it from my grandparents in 1968. The Weil McLain boiler installed by my grandfather in 1967 while he was prepping the house to sell to my parents, is still down there, running perfectly well. I have it checked by professionals every few years and have heard "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" many times. I am on this website simply assuming it won't run forever and trying to shop and prepare. I'll bet they don't make them like mine anymore.