Consumer Reviews of WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Read more about WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Date created: 2016-01-04 Name: R. Wheeler
Location: Albany, NY

"Pilot light assembly, wire burns"
Furnace installed in 2006. Trouble started not long after installation, within a season and a half. Furnace calls for heat, pilot light ignites, pilot light is not recognized even though it is burning. After 15 seconds, the furnace recycles and continues to do so until power is shut off on the power switch. Technicians replaced the control module and it worked for a little while. While the furnace was recycling, I found I could get the burners to light by moving the pilot light assembly wire (orange) which come from the module. Had to convince the tech that the wire might be bad and is starting to short out. The pilot light wiring must show 1 microamp in order for the main gas valve to open. If the wire shorts out the pilot light is not recognized and the main valve will not open. The orange wire was breaking down under high intense heat. The insulation was OK because it is a high temp insulation. In one case the metal inside the insulation had turned to metal slivers. I've gone through 3 to 4 pilot light assemblies, each one with metal wire failing. The trouble shooting chart has no block to address the issue of a burned metal wire. Installation company can't figure out why the wire burns. He enclosed the wire in a high temp white insulated material and that kept it operating a little longer than a season and half. But that burned up the metal portion and the wire detached from the ceramic cigarette upon a cleaning removal. Tech help from Weil- McLain came about two years ago and tried everything from gas pressure at the house inlet to many other tests performed by the installer. When I finally convinced him of the failing wire, he couldn't figure it out. He promised to check with his engineering section. He never called the installer or me. It died. That was over two years ago and the furnace continues to burn up the pilot light assembly wire. Spent loads of money on this boiler; two control modules (not the problem), pressure valve (not the problem) and so on. Three to four pilot light assemblies at about $94 a pop, yes they are the problem. Currently in contact with the tech group at Weil-McLain and they are looking into it but I hold out little hope because the installer put a generic assembly in the last time, which burned up, but which lasted longer than the original product, and the Weil-McLain people advised I had to use original products. I have been, all other that burned up were original equipment. I hold out little hope for the 2006 furnace which has been a problem from day one, the installer has stopped returning my phone calls and Weil- McLain doesn't know either.

Date created: 2015-12-14 Name: Ron S
Location: Ontario, Canada

"Unit leaks, no one cares"
Had this new unit installed just over 7 years ago. It aways had a drip leak but now it's a full blow one and all customer service would do is ask if we wanted to buy a new one.

Date created: 2015-12-07 Name: J. Snith
Location: New York

"Customer service"
The customer service line is terrible. Ask a question regarding the operation of a Weil McClain boiler, they refer you to a non-Weil-McLain web site. The boiler works, no better than any other manufacturer. The customer service is abysmal. Operators simply don't understand the product. Seem to put more effort into avoiding a reply than answering the question. P.S. - this is a simple steam boiler EG-50-PI without the water heater and with the auto vent damper.

Date created: 2015-12-02 Location: griffith IN

"Weil Mclain boiler system"
I have now owned this boiler for 9 years. I love it because it never breaks down or needs cleaning. There is nothing that I dislike about it because it is top of the line. I only needed to repair a small leak one time, which I was able to do myself. I would highly recommend purchasing this system again or recommending it to my friends and family. The boiler that I had before did not function as well and it always needed constant repair. My older brother is the one who suggested that I get this particular boiler because he had not had any issues with his system in the 3 years that he owned his.

Date created: 2015-11-25 Location: West Sunbury, PA

"Weil-McClain Boiler Review"
I'm relatively new to having a boiler, and due to it just now becoming cold enough in my area to warrant continuous use of heat in the house, I'm really just now getting used it. I came from a home with an oil furnace, so obviously I am much happier with the boiler than with that. My energy bills are lower, it's a "cleaner" heat, etc. My house is set up with a thermostat on both of the main floors, each able to be controlled independently, which is nice and also not something I was used to with other methods of heating. I could do without the noises the baseboard units make, but that's really the only complaint I have so far. I have not had to have any repairs done nor replacement. I would recommend it to a friend, although perhaps a newer, more energy efficient model (mine is just old). It definitely seems like Weil-McClain is a long established, good brand.

Date created: 2015-11-23 Location: Portsmouth, Virginia

"Very Efficient Boiler for Small House"
My boiler does a very good job of keeping the house warm in the winter and since it heats our water, our hot water is very hot. Our house runs off electricity for mostly everything except heating the water and the heating system. The house we have has a chimney, which is the only thing that would have stopped us from buying it because we did not have one in our previous house. Overall, my gas bill is very low, but our house is sufficiently warm during the winter, and sometimes the water is too hot. We bought it brand new, and the installation was quick and fast. We have not had any problems that would require repair, so our only expense was the purchase and installation, but I believe we are saving money on the gas bill than we would normally be paying, so in the end, I am overly satisfied. I would definitely tell a friend to buy this brand and this product.

Date created: 2015-11-13 Location: Farmington, MI

"I recently had to replace my boiler. It set me back financially but it was worth it in the long run. My house is at least 30% m"
I have no real problems with my current boiler except for the fact that sometimes it short circuits. I have been promised by the manufacturer that such situations will be rectified.

Date created: 2015-11-09 Location: Howell NJ

"Very efficient boiler"
Approximately 3 years ago my old boiler had a problem and had to be replaced. My local natural gas company suggested the Weil McLain GV-90 boiler. It was professionally installed by the gas company. This boiler is by far the best boiler I ever had. It has internal recirculating pumps for improved efficiency, automatic air bleeding and a condensate pump. The exhaust gas is removed by a PVC pipe for easy venting.When the workers started it up for the first time you could barely tell it was running. The boiler got hot very fast. Since it has been in use for the last 3 plus years I notice the house warms up very fast and as I said before it is quiet, you can hardly tell it is on. My natural gas bills have markedly gone down because of its super efficiency. Overall I would rate it very high.

Date created: 2015-10-10 Name: J. Backes
Location: Des Plaines, IL

"Pretty good boiler"
Keeps us warm enough. Uncertain of boiler age--there is no legible serial #. Our HVAC man said the model was built about 1992 but we don't know when the boiler was installed. We've owned the boiler since 2002 when we bought a ranch style house built in 1963. According to a handwritten service tag (was earlier tag lost?) attached near the boiler, these parts were replaced before we bought the house in 2002: in 1998 the spark module & pilot sensing switch and in 2000 the mercury sensor & circulator pump (don't think external pump is considered part of the boiler). Since 2002 we replaced the manifold gas valve & spark plug in 2004. In October 2015 our HVAC guy warned us that the exhaust blower motor is using too many amps and may go bad at anytime.

Date created: 2015-09-23 Location: Hiddenite, Nc

"Fairly standard boiler"
I got this boiler about 5 years ago. The boiler is your standard boiler, it does its job fairly reasonably. I don't like that it seems to be very energy inefficient, but since I am the only one that uses it, it hasn't been much of an issue. I needed repairs done to it about one year ago. I don't know what happen, but one of the pipes loosened and it began to leak. The repair was fairly easy, and I was able to get replacement parts easily and fairly cheap. Overall I am not overly impressed, but still satisfied. I probably would choose a different brand next time, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.