Consumer Reviews of WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Read more about WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Date created: 2010-03-17 Name: Peter Torres Sr.

"Mr.Peter Torres Sr."
This is my second year with the Weil-Mclain Gold series wgto4 and it has been excellent. My heating bill has dropped 25% compared to the last two years. I have no compaint.

Date created: 2010-01-31 Name: Just a Tech

"Typicaly NOT the boiler"
I am a certified technician for every boiler, furnace, air conditioner and water heater manufacturer sold in this country and a few European models. As for Weil-McLain, this boiler is a "Cadillac" of boilers. A yearly tune-up and proper planned maintenance is the key to longevity and smooth operation. Also, having this service performed by "certified technicians from a reputable company". It is a costly endeavor. Around $400.00 a year depending on location. All of the problems I've read here aside from cracking castings.. (typically due to improper installation.. even if it doesn't happen for years) are poor workmanship or lack of proper maintenance or poor quality replacement parts. A thermocouple going bad repeatedly .. more often than every 3 years.. is a sign of a different problem. Improper venting or pilot settings or blocked flu-ways. Roll out switches going bad.. the same thing. They don't just go bad. Some reset .. some don't .. if it trips.. There is a problem in the venting, or chimney. Yes, the newer solid state electronics are persnikity at best. Not Weil-McLains doing. Honeywell controls are on everything from every company. The one flaw I can truly find was when Weil-McLain tried their own burner. The QB series. Poorly engineered and only on the market for a couple of years. A huge mistake. Now, you will only find Beckett, Carlin, or Riello. All wonderful burners. Well hahaha.. if properly installed and set up right. I guess the moral of the story is... you get what you pay for and if you look for the cheapest service company, or some guy you know that says he knows about that stuff, well .. you deserve what you get. lol. People are trained for a reason.
Date created: 2010-01-19 Name: Toni Blacklock

"Toni blacklock"
Weil-Mclain customer service is horrific. I would not recommend. They don't honor their warranty.
Date created: 2009-12-11 Name: Jim

"Weil mclain"
We have a gas fired steam boiler, it replaced a similar weil mclain unit that was 20 plus years old, before it started to fail. The newer unit works well, but we have not noticed any reduction in gas consumption.
Date created: 2009-12-06 Name: R. May

"Educated Homeowner"
For many years, Weil-Mclain built, what have proven over time, one of the best, if not the best cast iron natural draft boiler with standing pilot light. I have owned many of their boilers over the years, with the youngest one being 40 years and the oldest being, 60 years. However... The Weil boiler in my current house is 40 years old, and for the year, I have been researching the kind of boiler I would like to purchase. I know that Weil has had different owners, and I heard that they no longer foundry their own castings. I look on the internet, and it is disturbing to see the kind of complaints people have about the company. It seems to me, that too many are related to them not standing behind their product. A warranty is not worth the paper that it is written on if the party making the warranty only looks at the bottom line. This is particularly true when you see a company change hands many times, and even the employees are unhappy. I suppose they can get castings from China, but it could mean years of problems. I do believe in cast iron low efficiency boilers, however, as there is little to wrong with them. Don't you love hearing that in a world bent of efficiency. The problem is that, from what I can tell, the real efficiency difference between a high-tech and a cast iron is only 9-10 percent. Is it worth paying 2-3 times as much to install, and then spend a lot more for the maintenance on a high-tech. There are the castings, the high limit switch, a transformer, a relay, and a gas valve. Don't even bother with electronic ignition...it saves little. If you want to contact me, give them a copy of this review, and tell them to give you my email address on file.
Date created: 2009-11-13 Name: Gary

"I am an installer.."
Do not buy Wiel Mcclain Boilers!! They are overpriced,expensive to repair and do not honor waranties!! Their factory reps are jerk offs and they will do everything to find a reson not to pay a claim let alone reimburse the contractor for his time. Ct. Liscenced installer
Date created: 2009-03-12 Name: B. Barnes
Location: Wisconsin

"Bad gas valve, bad warranty policy"
Ultra 105, gas control valve went out in winter. Building unoccupied, lucky to have discovered it or could have been big trouble. very dissatisfied with the way Weil McLain manages warranty - card was in back of manual which was left with boiler by installer for future maintenance. No card, no coverage despite positive proof the boiler is less than 5 years in service. Was told that some parts aren't covered, are considered "consumables". Absurd policy, will never buy another Weil McLain product ever and will recommend against them.
Date created: 2009-03-06 Name: Vance fFritz
Location: Thornbury, PA

"Weil-mcclain gold boiler"
Let's starteps. and rep mgr, in delaware county, PA. Scott Weegin is the rep in my area ...very poor communications with customers, he was supposed to call and stop by to look at my boiler at my house on march 28,2009 , he did not call or show up. His manager-Bill Price very unprofessional, Iay in business long enough for him to retire, because they do not stand behind their products or warranties, I'm afraid that the reviews that you read about cracked boilers is all true, so do not hesitate to send a letter to Better Business Bureau and tell them the truth about your experience will your boiler!! This is the second cracked boiler for me in 11 yrs and the second time they gave me a boiler which was 2 yrs older than the original boiler. I will never recommend a weil-mcclain boiler to anyone
Date created: 2009-01-02 Name: D. Sudermann
Location: Northfield, MN

"Weil-McLain VHE4 (Series 2) Gas Boiler"
I did most of the installation myself in 1984, replacing an ancient Bryant gas boiler. When I moved the boiler to a new location in 1998- 99, I took the flu collector assembly apart, since the silicon glue had deteriorated and re-glued with high-temp silicon. I cleaned the whole furnace and reinstalled. In 2000 the solenoid in the gas valve wore out and I replaced it with a used gas valve. Yesterday, 1 January 2009 the solenoid bit the dust again and it was replaced today with a White- Rogers 36c84-912 valve. Over the years the furnace has worked very well. No other parts, except a relief valve, were replaced. I have kept the unit clean and the blower motor oiled at least twice a year. Oh, I forgot to mention: our VHE(Series 2) heats the water in an Amtrol Residential Hot Water Maker, and that has functioned well, too. It is gratifying to be able to live with equipment that has worked so well for so long.
Date created: 2008-12-18 Name: Jacob family
Location: Chicago, IL

"Homeowner"
This unit has been going strong without problems for 42 years. The water circulating pump has been replaced three times. The boiler has cast iron burners and is serviced/cleaned annually. Today the service man said it was is great shape, though we assume it is not as efficient as modern boilers. He also warned that replacements for the cast iron burners are no longer available so we are keeping our fingers crossed and researching other boilers in order to be ready for an inevitable mid- winter breakdown.