Consumer Reviews of WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Read more about WEIL-MCLAIN boilers

Date created: 2008-10-25 Name: OwnUltra230

"Weil McLain has many problems"
My Weil McLain has problems all the time. It shuts itself off. It is barely more energy efficient than the 25 year old boiler it replaced. I deeply regret buying Weil McLain. Too much trouble.

Date created: 2008-10-22 Name: WantedEfficientBoiler
Location: Oshkosh, WI

"Stay away from Weil McLain"
The Weil McLain dealer totally butchered the installation. The boiler turned off several times in the middle of winter requiring manual re- start. Fortunately I was home or our pipes would have frozen. Despite the shutdowns and exhaust gas venting into the house, the Weil McLain manufacturers rep called the installation "good." After suing the dealer and having another contractor re-pipe the system, I wrote executives at Weil McLain's corporate parent, SPX. Weil McLain sent an engineer to check the boiler for damage. A Weil McLain rep promised to extend the warranty. He lied. I received a bill for $450 to extend the warranty. If a Weil McLain rep comes to your house, I recommend you video the visit.

Date created: 2008-06-26 Name: Gordon R.
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota

"New boiler for an old house"
20 years ago I replaced an old oil-fueled boiler with this natural gas unit. It is much smaller and quieter. I have had to replace about four hot-wire ignitors, usually on very cold days in Minnesota, but the system has performed very well for many years. The newer ignitors have a different shape so the frequency of replacement has gone down considerably. I have had no problems with valves (three zones) or controls (Honeywell). I would buy another Weil-McLain.

Date created: 2008-02-29 Name: Thomas Colardo
Location: Johnston, RI

Just had installed not to long ago. It seemd to run the same as the 30 year old boiler that was there. It also seems to be alot louder then the previous. Ca someone please tell if this is normal. other wise I am still reviewing the product for savings on oil.

Date created: 2007-10-16 Name: N. Clark
Location: Evanston, Illinois

In the first 8 or 9 years of life this boiler was fine, but over the last decade the control items (igniter, blower motor, gas switch, etc) have been extremely unreliable. It appears to me that Weil-MCLain uses cheap, poorly made and poorly designed control devices (Honeywell, for example) that really cripple the performance and reliability of what is a pretty good basic unit. I am about to replace this boiler, and I am hoping that W-M recognizes that the perception of the W-M name depends on the quality of the entire unit. When they start to lose business to a (Japanese or German?) manufacturer that attends to details they shouldn't squawk.

Date created: 2007-07-22 Name: timothy stafford
Location: unadilla n.y

I was happy with the reliability but my three section boiler is drastically leaking fire between the sections i felt it was kind fast started after fifeteen yrs and i am going to replace the boiler now. i am staying with weil mclain for the the break down factor is minimal.i would like to buy direct is that possible?

Date created: 2006-11-12 Name: W. Brooks
Location: New Hampshire

The previous owner of our house installed this boiler, and we have a contractor out each Spring to perform the annual maintenance. We've only had one problem with it in the 4 years that we've owned it. It wouldn't start one day, so we had a contractor come look at it. There was something wrong with the ignition system, and about $200 later it was fine.