Consumer Reviews of Utica boilers

Read more about Utica boilers

• MGB (10 reviews)

Date created: 2010-05-11 Name: Mikecroky

"Steam boiler rusting out"
When my old boiler, which had worked many years without problem, needed to be replaced my oil man suaggested a Utica boiler. I have oil fired, steam heat. After less than 3 years the boiler rusted out from the inside. My oil man told me it was because I had an automatic water feed. Utica gave me a new boiler but I was on the hook for $1500 in labor. Got that reduced to a 3 way split between me, oil company and Utica. 3 years later and my Utica boiler has rusted from the inside out again. Never buy a Utica again. My old boiler had automatic water feed and never rusted.

Date created: 2010-04-07 Name: B. Welker

"Utica Boiler"
I installed my Utica Starfire Boiler over 20 years ago and it still runs great. I service it myself and it has only needed the basic tune-up parts, nozzels, electrodes, filters,etc. I would buy another one today if I needed a new boiler.

Date created: 2010-01-25 Name: Jb

"Home owner"
My Utica boiler was installed back in May 09. The boiler makes a lot of noise. It seems sometimes like it wants to blow up possibly due to gas buildup. Not sure why it's making this sickening boom sound when it fires, but if I knew this, I would have left my old boiler in.

Date created: 2009-11-02 Name: J. Massachusetts

"August 1983"
I bought a house that had one of these in it from august of 1983. Lasted until 2009. It's older than my wife. We're having another Utica installed hoping to have another 26 years of heat.

Date created: 2009-10-26 Name: Bryant Farrell

"Had a Utica Installed Today"
I just had a Utica installed today. The sfh 3100. If I had used my head and read these reviews before it was installed, I wouldn't have went with it. The majority says it's junk!! I hope not!! Pray for me!!

Date created: 2009-07-16 Name: George White

"3 Utica Steam Boilers Within 7 Years"
This is our experience with the Utica Starfire iii Oil-Fired Steam Boiler. The original installation was in October, 2002. The system worked well until November 2005, when it developed a serious leak and had to be replaced under the warranty. This replacement block again worked well until this past spring (2009)when it also developed a serious leak, and again has to be replaced under the warranty although its not too reassuring that the warranty has only 3 years remaining. Although the blocks have been provided under the warranty, the labor has been a major expense. The original cost in 2002 was $5,750.00. The next installation in 2005 was $1800.00, but a service contract with the oil company paid for half. The third installation cost $2,575.00.

Date created: 2009-07-01 Name: A. Iacobellis

"Owner"
I had just installed a new boiler, within minutes of operation a part burned and the boiler stopped operating. A replacement part was installed and the boiler functioned well. The next day when the gas company came to inspect the boiler, it failed to work once more. It seems that I purchased a lemon!! I have been waiting for over an hour to hear from the service company. I am very seriously considering changing this boiler and eat the cost for another new boiler. Weil-Mclain seems to be the choice, the replaced boiler worked well for 23 years.

Date created: 2009-05-30 Name: Matthew Mitchell

"UTICA BOILERS STINK"
I would never buy another Utica Boiler. They leak and in 5 years we have had 11 service calls. I would rate this a consumer worst buy.

Date created: 2009-04-06 Name: UTICA BOILERS

"DISSATISFIED UTICA BOILER OWNER"
Upon moving into my 1926 townhouse I installed a new utica boiler, hoping to avert any problems entailed with an old,inefficient system. I have lived in several other 1920's homes, all with older, even original boiler systems and this new Utica does not compare with even the oldest, which never gave me a problem! In six years I have had to replace the heating unit three times when the boiler failed (usually on a weekend or at night in the dead of winter). Cost of the part was the least of the expenses, the highest cost being installation/service call cost. Is there a "lemon law" regarding boilers? The company that installed the unit says that failure of this part is common, but that you cannot predict when it will happen, even if you are, as I am, conscientious about having the unit maintained yearly. One should be able to invoke a "bad product"law to recover money wasted on service to keep the thing going! Thoroughly disgusted with this product. My old units from the 1920's were far more reliable.

Date created: 2009-03-20 Name: UTICA BOILERS

"ThermoTron"
I put this ThermoTron unit in to replace a relic. This unit ran perfect for 3 years with out any service or adjustments. Plenty of heat and hot water.