Consumer Reviews of Utica boilers

Read more about Utica boilers

• MGB (10 reviews)

Date created: 2011-09-12 Name: R. Craig
Location: Danvers, MA

"Problems with Aluminum Boiler Blocks"
The system is very efficient, however, after 3 years the block began to leak. Utica provided a new block, but would not pay any &#9824;labor costs. After 2 years the second block began to leak, same scenario. Our plumber heard rumors that Utica had a problems with the aluminum blocks on this particular model, and reading other reviews it appears to be the case. The third block has totally different markings indicating a different manufacturer-we shall see. The original distributor no longer handles Utica boilers, but went to bat for our plumber, but commented how bad their customer service is. I will never purchase another Utica product or recommend them to anyone.

Date created: 2011-08-10 Name: John Anderson
Location: Flinton, Pa

"Be careful of hard water"
Bought a house five years ago with a now 12 year old Utica boiler. Have had many problems, but found that some of them were made worse by the extremely hard water in our area. Added a new Culligan water softener and it helped somewhat. Utica seems to be of poorer quality and I am replacing.

Date created: 2011-03-29 Name: J Perez
Location: Springfield, NJ

"Yet to go a season without a problem"
In less than 4 years, I had to replace the ignitor (twice), the circuit board, the pressure switch and now (hot off the presses) the burner...This unit is terrible - If I hadn't (over)paid so much for it, I'd take a sledge-hammer to it and replace it with a real brand.

Date created: 2011-03-10 Name: r. travis
Location: BROADALBIN, NY

"BUY ANOTHER BRAND"
MODEL#UB90-175LP Five years with a new house, five years with a new furnace that is JUNK. The concept of a multiple firing furnace is great but the product and the company are not sufficient for the concept to be implemented. Over 5 years we have had a technician here no less than 20 times, no heat, no hot water, concern when on vacation that it won't come on leaving frozen pipes. A company that does not service the product. Spend the extra money and buy a Buderus or specificy it when you buy your house.

Date created: 2011-01-29 Name: H. PHILLIP
Location: South Orange, NJ

"MAINTAIN PROPERLY"
NOT ALL GOOD THINGS CAN BE CONSIDERED BAD. I BOUGHT A UTICA GAS STEAM BOILER 14 WINTERS AGO, REPLACING ANOTHER BRAND. THIS BOILER HAS WORKED CONSISTENTLY WITHOUT TROUBLE UNTIL THIS WINTER WHEN IT SPRUNG A LEAK. THATS A PRETTY LONG RUN. BY ALL MEANS IT COULD HAVE GONE LONGER. BUT CAN WE CONTINUOUSLY DRAG DOWN EVERY MANUFACTURING ENTITY WE HAVE IN THIS COUNTRY BECAUSE WE HAVE THE POWER TO WRITE FREELY. THINK OF WHAT MAY HAVE GONE WRONG BEFORE PASSING BLAME.

Date created: 2011-01-04 Name: Tom Murphy
Location: Binghamton, NY

"No Parts on hand"
I have a Utica Boiler and it has run very well for 15 years but the Direct Vent Blower Motor went bad and destroyed the fan as well. The problem is I can't get replacement parts from any of Utica's dealers (no parts in stock). I called Utica directly and they told me this blower is a "Utica Exclusive Blower", manfactured by FASCO for Utica. Utica didn't have the part in stock but they would call Fasco and could have the part sent to my local distributor in 3 to 7 days. I find this unacceptable as it is winter and my house is stone cold and I'm borrowing space heaters from neighbors to keep the pipes from freezing. Thank You Utica.

Date created: 2011-01-02 Name: Bette Berga
Location: Wakefield, MI

"UB90-100LP"
I had to replace my oil furnace and made the switch to propane. My furnace installer sells Utica. I checked this site and was surprised to find such negative reviews. I told him about it. He said he hadn't had any issues and he promptly told his distributor who told the company. When they collectively researched the reviews, most of the units were not the one I was looking at, but aside from that,it was found on all but a couple that either installation was incorrect or there was too much antifreeze added, which caused leaking. How many people have bothered to write a positive review? We are always fast to complain, but slow to praise. These are how many negative reviews out of how many units sold? 100? 1000? 10,000? I trust my furnace installer and know he would not handle a product on which he has to deal with complaints. I am thrilled with my boiler and would buy another.

Date created: 2010-12-11 Name: Mitchell Gregory
Location: Frankfort NY

"I got two pieces of junk"
Two years ago purchased two Utica Boilers for my 3 story apartment building. One for the 1st floor and one for the 2nd and third. Total cost $13000.00. $3000.00 in repairs over the last three years. Both heat exchangers leaked and had to be replaced this year. Ignitors gone bad twice. Both pumps gone bad. In process of sueing Utica Boilers and the contractor who installed them. Whats worst of all, I live 7 miles from Utica NY where they are made and spoke to people who work for the company and they all say the boilers are junk.

Date created: 2010-12-07 Name: Jim Glenn
Location: Manchester NH

"Utica SFH4150 st boiler"
Boiler was 5 years old when we bought the home 10 years ago. 2 years ago noticed the plumes of white smoke out the chimmny, and luke warm water(this unit has on demand hot water). Being mechanicly inclined I pulled the stack off and found a golf ball sized hole in the rear heat exchanger. Had to install an electric h2o heater to have reliable hot water. Got no help from customer service because I was not the origional owner. Would not buy a Utica product.

Date created: 2010-12-06 Name: Joe Smith

"Utica Garbage"
My home is 3 years old and I am on the 3rd Utica Boiler (gas fired). The first two cracked in the aluminum cast and leaked badly. They also had to have the igniter replaced three times in two years. Just last night the newest "most efficient" upgraded model ran an error and I woke up to a freezing house. These things are junk. I gave them several chances and have had a minimum of three issues during the cold Winter with all of them.