Consumer Reviews of Slant-Fin boilers

Read more about Slant-Fin boilers

Date created: 2018-05-17 Name: Martin Weaver
Location: Indiana

"Nickle and Dime"
We've had this for seven years, and it is very temperamental. It manifests all kinds of mechanical problems requiring expensive service calls and the potential for frozen pipes during the Michigan winters. This replaced a unit made in Michigan City, Indiana that worked flawlessly for over forty years. The installers admitted that what they'd installed wasn't very good. Stay away from Slant Fin. I'm sixty- seven, so I'll never buy another boiler, but if I were younger, I'd never consider Slant Fin.

Date created: 2018-03-27 Name: Custom Builders
Location: Saratoga, WY

"Poor Ignitor Design"
I am a general contractor and I have sent my plumbing crew out 4 times to replace the ignitor in this furnace. Each time when the inserted the ignitor the ignitor broke. I finally called Slant/Fin and they said they knew what was happening. There is a shield (perforated tube) that warps and was breaking the ignitor when it was inserted. They knew of the problem but would not even send a replacement part. They told me to buy a new ignitor and take pliers and break off the shield and everything would be fine. To top it all off just got the new Slant/Fin part and it was cracked in the box.
Date created: 2018-01-26 Name: Jill Miller
Location: Appleton, MN

"Awful boiler"
Our old American Standard was 60 years old. It was replaced with a Slant- Fin boiler 10 months ago. Once it was installed, it ran 4 hours and needed a new sensor already. A few months later, it needed a new circuit board since it wasn’t making the water hot enough. Now it needs a 3rd part already at 10 months. It has been a very cold winter here in Minnesota, so very irritating.
Date created: 2017-11-28 Name: F Aiello
Location: Collingwood, Ontario, Canada

"Repair"
Took 3 weeks to get a part for a boiler that is less than 10 years old with the weather below zero. The part I needed was a small aluminum tube on the inducer assembly. I had to purchase the very expensive assembly that included the blower just to get a 3 inch tube. Never in my many years owning boilers and forced air furnaces have I even remotely experienced anything like this.
Date created: 2017-10-02 Name: Al Bartlett
Location: Chepachet, RI

"Noisy"
This boiler makes much more noise than our old boiler. The technician changed nozzles, controls, etc and the problem didn't change. He finally changed the burner. Not much help. He added a hood but the noise level was still too loud. I insulated the exhaust pipe which didn't help. I built an insulated enclosure surrounding three sides, the remaining side was the foundation. It helped but it's still noisy. This is obviously something we have to live with, but I'm not happy about it.
Date created: 2015-11-20 Location: Aurora Il

"Love My New Boiler"
I recently purchased a new boiler. I knew it was going to be expensive, as these things usually are. Then I got a recommendation for the Slant/Fin Sentinel natural gas boiler. It was cheaper than any others I had looked into. I've owned it for six months now, and couldn't be happier with it. Unlike my old boiler I've never had to have any repairs done on this one, and it works like a dream. Not only does it save a lot more energy than my old one, which is good for the environment and my pocket book, but it also comes with a 25 year warranty. So if it ever does break I can have it replaced for free, and not suddenly have to come up with another 1,500 dollars. I would recommend this product not only to family and friends, but to anyone looking to replace their old boiler.
Date created: 2015-07-16 Location: Wayne New Jersey

"living with 2 boilers"
I have lived in the house with the two boilers for 9 years. The Galaxy is the older of the two and is steam for the basement and main floor. The Sentry was put in by the previous owner when he did an addition to the house on the third floor and it is forced hot water (baseboard). I like the Sentry better because it is more efficient and a drier heat. The Galaxy is noisy and makes the wall black when the steam is discharged. The only thing that needed to be done to the Galaxy was the automatic water feed stopped working, shutting down the boiler. We never had the automatic one reinstalled due to the fact the tech told us that the valve could always go the other way, stick on and flood the basement. We made the decision to go with the manual vale and maintain the proper level on the site glass. On the Sentry the only thing that needed to be done was the expansion tank went. It was an easy fix, I bought the tank and installed it myself. So the answer would be I like the Sentry better and I would recommend it to a friend just because less things to go wrong with it and its easy serviceability.
Date created: 2014-09-18 Name: FRED UDING
Location: Nanticoke, PA

"Bad electronics"
Started to have things go wrong 3 days after install. I was told there was a part recall after I called to ask why it wasn't working. Now I find out there is another recall, but they want $500 for the parts!
Date created: 2014-08-09 Name: R. Ciarlo
Location: Cranston, R.I.

"Boiler out of service again"
System put in in 2/14/12. Furnace is losing water again, already replaced gasket for intake and now outflow pipe is leaking and need to replace that gasket. Had to replace electronic parts, low water control shut off control now must replace low voltage transformer circuit bd. As of right now system is dead . Would not recommend this boiler company for any products.
Date created: 2013-12-17 Name: M. Horbatsch
Location: Toronto, Canada

"Gasket Failure"
8 years old, was maintained, last year DirectEnergy service rep put silicone on the gasket (to supposedly fix it), now the service guy put my heating out of service, the gasket is frayed. Apparently, quite common with SlantFin. $1.500 repair? Bringing in a winch to lift the heat exchanger, put in a new seal, and then what? (Another 8 years?) No thanks, get away from this company, as fast as you can, their engineers are idiots. The old boiler in the house lasted ~40 years, and wasn't even broken, just not very efficient.