Consumer Reviews of Navien boilers

• NHB (1 review)

Date created: 2017-11-11 Name: Chris Baker
Location: Massapequa, NY

"Worst burner ever"
I have had the Navien combo burner for five years now. I have had problems every year since the installation. It shuts down for the slightest problem. I am sitting here freezing because iwhile installing a warranted part, another part was broken. Leaving me now with both no heat, nor hot water. Can't get the part for two more days. By the way, the part may be covered, but the installation of it is not - to the tune of $850! At this point I am ready to cut my losses and rip the thing out. Old burner that came with the house -30 years- no problems.

Date created: 2017-11-06 Name: Bob Ruscitto
Location: Barnstable, MA

"Unreliable"
Repeated failures involving no-heat or hot water. Three-way valve replaced twice in two years. Leaks anti freeze and water from overflow valves (pt?).

Date created: 2017-09-28 Name: Madeleine
Location: Boston, MA

"Do not buy a Navien"
I used a Navien trained licensed plumber to install 2 Navien ch-240n asme high efficiency hot water boiler combo in November 2011. Since the installation I have spent more than $1000 dollars in repairs, with one boiler failing once and the second one failing 4 times. We were left with no heat or hot water. Their trained plumbers who came out to address the issues failed to follow Navien protocols, resulting in me not being reimbursed for parts under used that were under warranty. Navien's position is the plumbers are independent contractors, and they are not responsible for their behavior or action. As a customer of Navien be prepared to be on your own if you have a problem with their product. I have not found Navien to be accommodating or sympathetic to my needs or concerns, do not buy this product!!!!! The follow ups are nightmares.

Date created: 2017-09-13 Name: Medi
Location: Greater Toronto Area, Canada

"It has a design problem with exhaust duct"
It was in old home that I bought and after checking some leakage smell find out that the internal exhaust duct is melted and has a big hole , I am an experienced engineer and know that there is a design problem with it , I do not know they solved it yet or no , but I could not recommend as obviously it is dangerous .

Date created: 2017-07-21 Name: Randy
Location: Connecticut

"Robbing Peter to pay Paul"
I've spend over 1000 dollars in the past 3 years since the new installation Apparently, though not yet determined, there was an incorrect install. Now I need to find yet another 'expert' technician- if one exists in my area. I'm sure there is, but wish I installed the 'tried and true' plain vanilla gas low efficiency boiler at this pot. It's a horse race of Navien vs bmw (my 535xi) who will succeed in extracting the most $ from my pocket.

Date created: 2017-05-27 Name: J Nelson
Location: Williamson, NY

"Not at all good and Navien knows it"
Would like to start a class action suit. Navien is requiring a $1600-ish retrofit and line-flush to fix a design issue they have. This is the 3rd time without hot water in a two week period, even as the service company did first a unit and screen flush, (lasted for 10 days and then again, no hot water) and then a 4-hour, whole-house flush and screen/unit clean. Lasted 3 days. And we are on a water softener systems so don't tell me it is hard water of some sort. Our prior boiler lasted 18 years; this is less than 18 months. The newer Naviens have the $900 valve they want me to buy, as part of the design of the new units. This is not a model improvement, it is a fix of a known design flaw. (I'm a design engineer; I know the difference)

Date created: 2017-05-17 Name: K. Cardilli
Location: Stamford, CT

"Very unreliable"
There have been multiple problems with the system and it is only a few years old. The first one that was installed was finally replaced a short time after being installed. The new one also has had multiple problems. In January I had to pay $1100 for a repair. This morning, May 17, I had no hot water. I can't go through this any longer. I never know when another problem is going to arise. Before I had this heating system installed I had a very old oil system that never gave me a problem. I converted to gas and got a nightmare with this system. Very unreliable.

Date created: 2017-04-18 Name: P Roach
Location: New Jersey

"Terrible piece of garbage"
Over the last 3 years I have installed 3 different Navien combo boilers all on natural gas, they were installed in 2 rental properties and my home. All 3 have broken down multiple times one resulting in frozen pipes because it wouldn't got to high fire. The plumber I used is great and has spent many many no charge hours trouble shooting them. The manufacturer has been good at sending replacement parts at no charge but that's not the point. You cannot rely on the boiler to work and in the cold North East that can be a disaster 3 out 3. All duds

Date created: 2017-04-06 Name: Big Joe 3479988669
Location: Brooklyn, NY

"No problems"
I have install about 20 of the Navien combo unit 240 model. I had one call back and that was because the lady son accidentally turned the emergency switch off. I am planning to install one in my house. Two days ago I went to look at one that was install by another contractor and the contractor installed a feed regulator valve which in not necessary because it caused the system to go into error. There is no need to install a feed regulator valve because it has a built in one. The pressure on the system keep going low and the system was shutting down. I took it out and hot water and heat was sailing.

Date created: 2017-03-12 Name: J Hyland
Location: Nassau, NY

"Waiting for repairs"
I may change my evaluation in a week, but for now I am disappointed and very unsatisfied with the Navien ncb 240 combo boiler. I am waiting for a water leak repair and my chosen heating company is being held up for a go-ahead because Navien in NJ insists on a water sample before authorizing parts. The original installer sub-contracted as he is a builder and I want to work directly with a heating and fuel company. I had a nyserda (nys) grant to help with the installation and was given glowing reviews of this heat and hot water system. It began to leak in November 2016 and was repaired under labor and parts warranty. Now the same leak has occurred and I will have to pay for labor. Ok, now a week has gone by, the system still drips water on to all of the internal parts and the company is hedging on the repair because they want to say that my well water is the problem. If this is the case I should have been fully informed before installation that I needed my water tested first. Also, I have a whole-house water filter installed and a water softener. I would say, buyer beware. You will hear more excuses why the system shuts down than you can imagine. Before you buy, it's all roses and what a great company. If my repairs will amount to as much as a new product, I will donate the Navien back to the company and buy something else. I see the Bosch has great reviews. If Navien comes though soon, I may change my tune, but today I am discouraged and feel taken for a ride.