Consumer Reviews of LOCHINVAR boilers

Read more about LOCHINVAR boilers

Date created: 2019-04-24 Name: Tiffany Guyett
Location: New Hampshire

"Lemon -Don't Buy!"
We've owned this unit for less than 2 years, have been left without heat on the coldest of days. Fearing all of our brand new plumbing was going to freeze. No hot water on a regular, and keeps getting a *lockout* error. No technician is supposed to work on it other than the person who installed it without ruining the warranty, but he can't figure out what is wrong with it. We've had it leak onto the electrics within the first few months. Replaced the gasket and the board. We have a brand new water tank and filter and the rep. Tried blaming it on the quality of our water. We've had a new igniter and currently, there is a gas valve on order because it won't stay running for more than a half hour. We've had the Noble rep. Out to our house 3 times and on average I would say we've had to re-set this boiler twice a month at the very least the entire time we've had it. Our last house had a boiler that was over 30 years old and got serviced once a year with no issues. It is very frustrating to invest in what is sold to you as the 'better product' to have the hassles that we've had this entire time.

Date created: 2019-02-28 Name: Mark N
Location: Denver, CO

"NKC-199 Lemon"
We had an nkc-199n installed in October just over 4 months ago. In January we had two parts replaced (we had no heat on one of the coldest days of winter). Then we had the boiler company come out for the flow sensor (we had no heat over the weekend), they had a rash of those fail all over town. After trying 4 different ones now they are going to try replacing the connection board. So in order to have hot water, I have to put a ring manually over a brass rod and then remove it to have heat for this two-week period, since the connection board is unavailable since last week and won't be available until next week at the earliest. When they come out to replace that, it will be the fifth service call we have had, and who knows if that will fix the problem. This could be a disaster if a critical heating component fails and there are no parts availability (and based on our experience already), I'm concerned about the next few years with this boiler.
Date created: 2018-10-17 Name: B Kapteyn
Location: Michigan

"FTXL fire tube heat exchanger"
We have installed 14 of these Lochinvar FTXL boilers in the past 2 years, with 10 heat exchanger failures - an over 80% failure rate. There seems to be a serious design problem with this boiler's heat exchanger.
Date created: 2018-08-23 Name: T. Ross
Location: Connecticut

"No problems yet"
I had a high efficiency Knight KBN400 installed to replace a conventional cast iron boiler that had started to leak after 15 years in service. The unit has only been in operation for two years, but it has worked great so far and my heating bills are much lower than they used to be. My only issue is that the installers recommended a model that is much too large. To prevent excessive short cycles, I programmed the unit using the LCD display to run for at least ten minutes at 10% of capacity before ramping up. With that set-up, the unit very rarely runs more than 10% capacity.
Date created: 2016-11-23 Name: Cusromer
Location: Ma

"Stay away"
Faults and failures. The technician said he had 6 calls of the same model ahead of me tonight. Stay away from this company.
Date created: 2016-07-17 Name: Frank
Location: Biddeford, ME

"Garbage!"
Really? How can such a basic component be so unreliable? Our unit is three years old and began to malfunction shortly after installation. It just does not work. No one knows why. Ten service outages in the last six months! Crazy. I am going to scrap it. Stay away from this company.
Date created: 2016-06-11 Name: S.Post
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

"Unreliable!"
Nothing but trouble. Techs cannot sync the system so there are domestic hot water failures all the time, constantly for the last 8 months. . At the same time I work on other properties with ancient boiler systems that only require 2 service calls per year. What is up with this inferior, way overpriced, problematic hunk of junk? 13 service calls in the last 8 months.
Date created: 2015-07-16 Name: smith
Location: Detroit, MI

"Beware of electrical issues"
Installed by a professional contractor in fall 2012 in Michigan. During the first cold weather it went red "Lock Out". The error code indicated an issue with temperature measurement. The installer was not much help. Knowing a little about electronics and motivated by the freezing weather, I started investigating the internals while waiting for Lochinvar and the installer to get together. Figured out that they used computer (pc) style connectors without any special contact coatings for the boards. Tried unplugging/plugging connectors (w/no power to unit) to clean up contacts and found that the temperature sensor was suddenly repaired. Lochinvar rep (talked to directly) confirmed that a bad connection could cause the observed error. Have had several lockout errors since. Each time, (after disconnecting power), I remove and reseat the cable connectors to the board (sensor one in particular). This has fixed the lockouts 100% so far. In fact, for 2015, I 'shined up' the connectors in November--no lockouts all winter. Seems to happen more when unit is turned on after being off and/or basement has been moist. Go figure. When it runs, it uses much less gas energy than the previous furnace, although the circulation pump runs all the time--need a low energy one of these to go with the furnace!
Date created: 2015-03-10 Location: Miami, FL

"One of the best boilers i have ever owned!"
The Lochinvar brand's Crest Condensing boiler line is an essential piece to our household. We've recently bought this and i could honestly say that i have never had a problem with this boiler and it seems to effortlessly do an amazing job time after time. On top of it all, it has a really solid, reliable, dependable, and durably respectable design. We've had many different brands before but this is by far the most stylish and economical one i have had the pleasure of owning. It has really up to date technology built right into the design and no one in the house really pays much attention to it or even probably knows what it does or why it exists. But it's benefit's are essential. Thumbs up for the Lochinvar's Crest Condensing boiler! Once again i am a happy customer willing to return and do business again with them in the future.
Date created: 2015-01-31 Name: David Cowan
Location: South Portland, ME

"Lochinvar Knight, the worst boiler ever!"
I purchased a new Lochinvar Knight series boiler in the fall of 2011 to replace an older failing boiler. I had the boiler installed by a reputable heating contractor who did a "by the book installation". Within 30 days the system was down due to a bad circuit board. My contractor called Lochinvar and they sent a new one under warranty. Fast forward to the fall of 2012, and once again the circuit board is junk. Mind you that the boiler was off line during the warm months, so in other words "it's off more than it's on". This time the rep hand- delivered the circuit board and left scratching his head with no explanation for 2 board failures. Fast forward to the fall of 2013, and guess what? Another board failure. This time Lochinvar sent a new board with the message "don't call us anymore, you're on your own". Fast forward to the fall of 2014, and now I have a locked out unit due to a fan code. The fan appears fine with no obstructions, but I replaced it anyway on my dime and still no luck. The only other possibility is a bad circuit board. Who saw that coming? So now I have a Lochinvar boat anchor sitting in my boiler room and don't want to throw good money after bad. To anyone thinking about a Lochinvar Boiler I say "run for your life!".