Consumer Reviews of LAARS boilers

Read more about LAARS boilers

Date created: 2015-05-27 Name: Wil
Location: Tennessee

"NTV500NJN2"
Installed new in 2012 in a 100 room apartment complex for seniors. The first year, replaced a pump; it was under warranty. Then it went two years without trouble. The third year, replaced the other pump, two igniters, the igniter cable and it is still having trouble. I have put $4000 into two boilers that are not five years old. They are total garbage

Date created: 2015-05-25 Name: Drew
Location: Golden, CO

"Money pit"
The boiler came with the house, not too sure how old it is. First winter - gas valve = $860.00. Since then, the gas valve has failed and been replaced 3 times. Nothing but problems. I've spent enough money just trying to keep the thing running that I could have bought 2 new ones. The standing pilot has issues every year. Very unreliable and expensive to have repaired. The main issue seems to be the gas valve & pilot set-up. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Date created: 2014-04-14 Name: Christa t
Location: Wakefield, ri

"Getting a Laars? Hope you enjoy cold showers..."
Bought a Mascot 2 by Laars after it was highly recommended by my bf's family. His cousin is a plumber and did the install. Can't even tell you how many times he's been back to try to fix it. Happens every summer. Hot water won't work unless the heat is on. Yup, gotta run the heat in the summer to take hot showers. I actually boiled water on the stove the other day to take a sponge bath because now the hot water won't work even with the heat on. This thing cost $ 7,000, not including install because we're family. Can't imagine how much this thing would've cost if we weren't related to a plumber.

Date created: 2013-07-11 Name: Lori Meyers
Location: Queens, NY

"Pool Heater"
Has a problem every year since we had it installed. We take very good care of all our equipments but this heater is the worst.

Date created: 2013-01-02 Name: Lorraine
Location: Ansonia

"HOME INSPECTOR WARNED ME"
My house was built 12 years ago and a laars was installed. When I purchased this home 6 months ago the home inspector warned me about this boiler. He also said it has about a 15 year life span. The repair tech tried a new control panel and pump, still no heat. By 6pm on New Years Eve they said there was nothing else they could do until Wednesday when they could contact tech support. The repair total so far is $ 1,400. Decided to put the $ 1,400 to a new boiler rather than continuing to trouble shoot. My inspector was right on the money!

Date created: 2012-11-14 Name: Perry Kioussis
Location: Montreal, Canada

"Laars never ever buy"
I have a 2 500 000 btu laars for my 60 unit apartment building that replaced the original install Volcano flame tube boiler. This laars thing is the biggest pile of junk I have ever bought. After first winter season on warranty replaced the controller board and the ignitor, 2 ignitors the second year and every year there after. Now this is the start of season 6 and one more ignitor. Very big inconvenience over the years as I have to to show up and reset the boiler. Every summer the thing needs to be opened up and worked on from controllers, ignitors, copper coil cleaning, low fire aquastats, leaking copper welds, failed internal water pump impeller. Ive spent $28000 in repairs on this piece of garbage since the install in October 2007. The old Volcano was completely reliable and trust worthy never that call in the middle of the night for heat. The consumption with the volcano was 100000 m3 of gas for the year, the laars brought the burn down to 70000 m3. Now that's 30% less but anything that I saved went into repair and frustration. This will be the last year and I'm going to get rid of it as soon as this winter is over. I will try and get some kind of compensation but who knows...

Date created: 2012-07-10 Name: Willie Conklin
Location: new york

"Service"
We had a hard time finding a contractor for our laars boiler . It was not hooked up proper from day 1 . Runs like a swiss clock

Date created: 2011-01-31 Name: D Lajoie
Location: Vermont

"Endurance"
Have put in 3 new control panels ($400) each in 8 years.. uses way to much fuel for heat output

Date created: 2010-12-06 Name: David I Potter
Location: New York State

"Teledyne Laars Boilers"
I would highly recommend NOT BUYING any Laars boilers for any purpose. Long story, but the current Vice President of Sales & Marketing for Laars designed and helped installed our home unit. He at that time (1997) had sold his heating and plumbing business in the N.Y.State area and was in the process of moving out to California to become a vice president of Teledyne/Laars out there. While still involved with the local business, he, I believe was "playing around" trying to learn more about hydronic heating and used our new home construction as a trial system. Knowing full well he was leaving and would not have to bother with it, plus I am sure to make some extra money by selling what ever he could(on his way out). It was a huge disaster. The system through poor boiler design and his system design was left running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It went through a 500 gallon tank of gas in less than 4 weeks during moderate outside temps. I had to finally contact a Teledyne Rep myself about the problem and he forced the local business to make good with over a thousand dollars worth of repairs, more parts and work. But mean time the designer had left. It was a BIG MESS and many hard feelings. Now years later the house has been sold twice and the new owner can not get any help in trying to work on the Laars boiler. I am just trying to help the new owner and I have been told that most boiler businesses in the area have stopped carrying the Laars boilers because of all the problems with them. The ones that do, really have no market reps to help them out with problems. (So why would anyone buy them at all???. If the company can't stand behind them) My opinion, I would highly recomend not dealing with any company that even carries the Laars brand. Also, in my opinion, if a company would not service their own product, or help people out that have one of their products, seems they have found a perfect match with this Vice President of Sales and Marketing. A person that designes crap, is also trying to sell crap and not worry about any service. But mean time, I am sure on a Vice President's salary, he is living VERY comfortably and not at all concerned about the way he does business or the position he puts his product's owners in.

Date created: 2010-05-05 Name: Ken

"Laars HH715 Might Therm Hydronic Boiler"
We have a Laars hh715 Mighty Therm heating a 12 suite apartment building. It rarely makes it through a winter without service calls and the heating bills are the same as our antique cast iron boiler building. I would not buy one again.