Consumer Reviews of Hydro-Smart boilers

Date created: 2018-10-21 Name: Rebecca
Location: Lake Leelanau, MI

"Horrible, donít buy"
Our furnace is three years old and has broken down more than once a winter. Now we have a broken flow valve. Of course, not covered under warranty and they wonít even ship it overnight at our expense. They say they donít have our part in stock when we called the company. Ridiculous, as it snowed here last night and weíve been without heat for almost a week now! No idea when, or if we will get it running again. I would not recommend!

Date created: 2018-06-06 Name: Dwight
Location: Canada

"Hydrosmart 120"
Has worked perfectly for 2 years but the inspector won't allow it in Canada because it's certification is as a water heater not a boiler. Check with your gas inspector before buying.
Date created: 2018-01-04 Name: Adam S
Location: Wisconsin

"Not meant for Heating!"
This is a domestic hot water unit, not a space heating unit. This is a rebadged Takagi unit and they raise the price significantly. Plus if you buy the Takagi unit you get the remote control to raise the temp past 160 degrees. With Hydro Smart you have to spend extra for the remote (which they don't even offer). I can only get 4.0gpm out of this unit with only a 20 degree temp rise, not the claimed 8gpm (10 if it's less than 140 degrees). And if it's set above 140 degrees it won't stay running. It will just kick in and out. It does not heat my house! And when I called to figure the problem out they blamed "air in the system" when I know there is none! Spend a little extra and get a unit that is designed to heat your house, not just your shower.
Date created: 2017-11-14 Name: A Fritsche
Location: Stevens Point, WI

"Flow meter shot"
After troubleshooting startup problems all last winter, I finally narrowed it down to the flow sensor inside the unit. $60 dollar part but pain of ass to change. Everything I see online points at this being a pretty common problem. Cheap parts on a cheap unit. Worked fine for the first year and part of the second year. 3Rd year I have to restart the unit every day just to get heat from it. The flow meter is siezed up.
Date created: 2017-05-25 Name: Ted Naparala jr
Location: Princeton, WI

"Many issues"
I bought one of these for my house in the summer. First off after hearing a whining noise in the unit and water flow lower then what it should be on the display I removed the flow sensor and found a piece of Teflon tape wrapped around it which leads to problem number one. The unit didn't have the filter on the inflow port. The unit struggled to keep up heat in the house. Had power go off once found it doesn't auto start so if your not around to turn it back on when it happens your sol. Thing brings up the last straw with the unit, wasn't heating as it was when installed when showering. Opened unit had water dripping out of blower fan. Found out heat exchanger had leak. Called hydro smart all they cared about is the heating set up. Poor customer service never again bought a ranai unit been working great.
Date created: 2016-05-10 Location: Suffolk, LI, NY

"Hydro-Smart Boiler has helped greatly with the heating system."
I purchased this boiler a year ago. It has a freeze protection feature, is very compact, and very powerful.
Date created: 2015-12-18 Location: Hamilton, Ohio

"Good boiler for price!"
I purchased this boiler a year ago and it has helped greatly with heating. I do like that it has a freeze protection feature. This boiler is very compact and can fit virtually anywhere, compared to others in the same price range. That is definitely an advantage of this boiler. It is very powerful for its size; however I would like for it to do just a little more than what it does. It doesn't fully heat 3 bedrooms well enough. I would purchase from this company again because the quality of this product is very good. They do often offer discounts on almost all of their products. If you are looking for a heater that if affordable and is the best quality you can find then this is the heater for you. I have two small children so safety is very important to me as well and this is a very safe boiler.