Consumer Reviews of Heat Transfer Products boilers

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2011-03-05 Name: Ken H
Location: Central PA

"High efficiency boilers"
You will see a lot of Blower issues on this site. you will see that some state that it is the installing contractor that causes the issue. In some cases this could be true, BUT I will tell you this, the swirl plate mounted to the blower on some earlier models is a molded plastic piece that is also laminated together to form a shell. if this is not properly laminated it will separate and I don't care how little cavitation you have it will disintegrate. PLEASE note I have replaced these fans on several boilers and the new FANS COME WITH A Solid One piece casting of aluminum now!! gee bet the installing contractor didn't tell you about that one did he? Bottom Line, Look at what the manufacture now requires for Routine maintenance, this will cost you hundreds of dollars to have regular Yearly maintenance and I'm sorry the gas savings that the higher efficiency you get will not cover the cost to maintain and repair this system. You are better off burning Coal or Wood than going this route.

Date created: 2011-03-05 Name: Michael Bell
Location: Kenosha WI

"I own 17 Munchkin boilers"
I own a 200 unit apartment complexand we use 17 Munchkin/ModCon boilers for central heat and domestic hot water. Our installations started in 2003. In the beginning, at around year three, we had a number of fault problems with the electronic controllers that seem to be completely eliminated with the upgrade to the 926 controller back in 2007. Also, as with all new technologies, the installers haad to learn the best way yo install. To me, the biggest problems were improper installation and the 925 controller. The new versions of the boilers are very good and I wouldn't consider anything else. Munchkin has continued to relentlessly improved their product.

Date created: 2011-02-28 Name: merle D
Location: N E Iowa

What a piece of shit. Now the blower motor went out! Thinking of buying one.. I'll sell you a used one for scrap price and that would be priced too high. Nothing but trouble from day one. It needs constant maint. and cleaning, and this is not something that the home owener can do. If I had to do it over again I would put in the cheapest 80% boiler I could fine and it would be a hell of a lot better. The dealer that sold it to me does not sell them anymore but still services them much as he hates to. DO NOT BUY!!!

Date created: 2011-02-26 Name: Steve - BELTLINE HEATING
Location: Grand Rapids Mi

"Blame the boiler"
David problems - He now has a bad heat exchanger - Notice that the boiler is to blame for this. NOT that he has had constant problems with this boiler. could it be that the boiler is not properly Installed thus causing all of his problems. I will bet that If he sent me pictures of his install I would find many things wrong. If you are having constant service problems or constantly replacing parts the problem is NOT with the boiler but with the installation.

Date created: 2011-02-25 Name: Tom
Location: St Louis, MO

"Homer is throwing off the review results"
Every time Homer answers a question he posts as "Very Satisfied" This gets logged into the system and even though he is one person, he gets multiple votes throwing off the review ratings for the Munchkin brand furnaces. This should be fixed and if it can not be fixed, then Homer can you please post with "Neutral" selected from now on when you give advise? Thanks.

Date created: 2011-02-25 Name: J.RUSSO
Location: Lake George, NY

"DON'T BUY A MUNCHKIN OR PINNACLE BOILER"
To my detriment, when I renovated my home, I let a relative handle the selection and purchase of the so called high efficiency Pinnacle system which is also known as the Munchkin. This was the worst heating system imaginable. There was always something malfunctioning and I spent about $3,000 in repairs over 5 years. I finally had the system yanked out in 2010 and replaced it with a Utica. The manufacturer and area rep were of no help. If I were purchasing a new home with one of these systems in it, I wouldn't buy it unless they replaced this type of heating system first! I save the old munchkin. Maybe, this spring we can bring it to the local firing range for target shooting and then set it on fire. That's about the only good use for it! DON'T BUY THIS TYPE OF BOILER!!!!! RUN FAST AND FAR FROM THESE SYSTEMS!!!!!

Date created: 2011-02-22 Name: David
Location: Salem, Virginia

"Dont buy it"
This was a big mistake. 8 years old and the heat exchanger is now cracked and it cost alot of money to get people out to fix this that realy had no clue to munchkin. It sucks.

Date created: 2011-02-21 Name: David
Location: Salem, Va

"Dont buy it"
I bought a munchkin high efficiciiency boiler with the "925" controller 8 years ago. Every year it's been service call after service call. Not to mention having to reset the the unit over and over again when I came home with no heat. Now they tell me the heat exchanger has a crack in it. This was the worste home improvement that I have ever done. Don't buy it.

Date created: 2011-02-12 Name: Steve - BELTLINE HEATING

"Adrian"
Adrian - I will let you in on a little secret. The Munchkin boiler does let you know there is a problem - They are called error codes. But you have to be there when it happens to see them displayed. Last time I checked You always have to be in your car when the check engine light comes on to see it. If you were somewhere else while your car was driving itself - You wouldn't get a warning either. AGAIN - if you are loosing motors or electronics your boiler is not installed properly. Steve - Beltline Heating

Date created: 2011-02-11 Name: Homer
Location: Nevada

"Cracking the Boiler Case"
I mentioned in an earlier post about partially opening the boiler case to condition the boiler intake air. I do want to state that by doing so, you defeat Category 4 venting requirements. IT IS IMPERATIVE that if you operate a Munchkin without the cover or with the cover partially open that you have a FirstAlert CO detector in the same room as the boiler. Please see, the Minnesota account of a NTI Trinity boiler that was improperly piped on the air intake, which lead to a death from CO poisoning. Exhaust gases from the boiler were coming back into the air intake vent. However, the air intake vent didn't connect to the boiler. The incoming air only went into the boiler room and the boiler pulled it combustion air from the boiler room rather than from outside. The boiler room filled with CO because of exhaust gas reversion. A tragic story. It is probably a good idea to have a C0 detector in the boiler room, anyway. CO detectors are cheap and save lives. A CO detector has a useful live of about 5 yrs. and then need replacing.

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>