Consumer Reviews of HTP boilers

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2011-04-08 Name: C. MacKenzie
Location: NW20 110 15 W5

"NOT RELIABLE !!!!!!"
When this unit is working it is a JOY !!! HOWEVER.... since having this unit installed it has gone out on an average of every 3 months...(totally unreliable)....I have "learned" how to take the flmae probe out, clean it, and put it back in.....crossing my fingers that it will ignite once again !!! I am a "Senior" living in a remote area of Northern Alberta. My unit was installed by a local agent. (They are called and visit more than most relatives) I also called KVC Industries and talked with Gerald....(Gerald, you were going to call me right back....that was in Feb./11....It is now April 8th. and guess what??? My furnace is out again....this time it will not fire up...after having cleaned the probe.... SOMEONE... PLEASE HELP !!!! Catherine

Date created: 2011-04-03 Name: Homer
Location: Nevada

""It's elementary, dear Watson"--Sherlock Holmes"
D Krueger--Richland Center, WI--I'd be pretty p*ssed off if my Munchkin performed like yours. I'd want to get to the source of the problem, which you obviously haven't from what you said about your repair history. "I suspect, dear Watson that you've encountered the dreaded Parts Replacer." In other words, "We will keep replacing parts till we fix the problem, no matter how much it costs." The problem is that a contractor gets a license and he thinks that makes him capable. It's worse when the home owner believes that, too. You have to make an informed judgment about who works on your boiler. (Choose Wisely) Any plumber worth his salt can solder two pipes together. (Although, I still have trouble with it and I've been at it for over 40 years. I figure in another 40 years I'll have it mastered.) To be capable, your contractor needs training, experience, and intelligence. (I know what you're thinking, a plumber and intelligence are a mutually exclusive thing.) He need intelligence to make a rational analysis of your problem and training to understand what he is applying his intelligence to: the Munchkin, specifically, how it functions. You want someone who has experience with Munchkins. You don't want someone gaining "practice time" on your dime. So ask the pertinent questions regarding training and experience. Also, ask, what's wrong and why you think so?--Why do I need this part and why did it fail?--You're his employer, you have a right to know, you hired him. After he removes the case cover, your question should be, "Are you going to connect your Laptop computer to the control board on the Munchkin?" Your contractor's answer should be, "that's the next thing, I was going to do." Any other response, beware. If he does say that, get down on your knees and kiss his feet, HALLELUJAH! you've just found the Holy Grail of boiler repairmen. You could ply him with lots of yummy cake and coffee. The Laptop can access the control board's memory which stores information on the Munchkin's performance and can change the boiler's parameters with the right software. In summary--you don't want a Parts Changer working on your boiler--unless you're JD Rockefeller.---Your combined vent length for 3" PVC is about 85'(intake added to exhaust) minus so many feet for each tee, 90 & 45 degree fitting in the your venting system. So, depending on the fittings (sharp 90 or Long Sweep 90) your existing combined vent length can be a lot shorter than 85'. Fittings reduce the allowable length of the combined vent.---YEARLY MAINTENANCE---The first thing that I do for yearly maintenance, and I have been doing a lot of them lately, is collect the money in advance, hahaha! I connect a laptop to the control board and read the history on the boiler. I want to know how long the boiler has been operating, when was the last maintenance, and what was done and whether the boiler needs a tune-up or a major cleaning. In a yearly maintenance, I assume a tune-up. I clean the electrodes, check the system piping configuration and look for anything out of the ordinary, replace the o-ring on the pressure/temperature gauge (an A111-HNBR o-ring replacement) an EPDM o-ring would work, too. I don't use NB o-rings as they don"t stand up to temperatures as well. The factory o-ring hardens from the temperature and water begins to drip from the connection in about 3 years. I run the boiler through its paces and check the rectification current and the high and low fan speeds while looking at the flame through the viewing port. I look at the target refractory for damage. I check the condensate drain for flow and if it has a neutralizer connected, I check the PH with a meter. I check the wiring harnesses. I look for signs of exhaust reversion and look at the outside venting terminations. There are other thing that I do, too, but this covers most of it. I can do this less than an hour at reasonable cost, which doesn't take food from the mouths of your children.---MAJOR MAINTENANCE---All of the above plus a deep cleaning of the HX (heat exchanger), replacing the burner gasket and tighten the four screws with a 1/4" socket wrench, good-n-tite. I always replace the burner gasket whether it needs it or not. It's kinda like, I take a shower once a month whether I need it of not. The burner gasket is cheap and I don't want a failure and have to do it, later. Not having a secure burner attachment affect the rectification current and can cause an F09 error code. I do a combustion analysis and check the boiler Hi and Low fire and efficiency. I find that a MAJOR MAINTENANCE needs on average (my experience) to be done every 3 years. It takes me about 3 hours to do one. It cost more. OK, so your kids will be eating porridge for a week, at least they'll be warm.---Keep a log on your boiler and give it to your boiler guy when he comes a knock'n.--- Please, read the other posts.

Date created: 2011-03-20 Name: john

"Garbare"
Thats why there isnt much of a warranty on those boilers buyer beware!!!! U cant buy your own parts because u need a boilers license.. in the long run your better off just buying a water heater and furnace>>cost me 1000 dollars to get it fixed 300 for the part and the rest labor F###K B#Tch

Date created: 2011-03-19 Name: Dave G
Location: Tewksbury NJ

"Munchkin A OK!"
I am an plumbing contractor in NJ. I have personally installed almost two hundred Munchkin or Contender boilers made by Heat Transfer Products.In all the installs, I've had two minor issues that popped up in the first couple of weeks. One was a bad wire harness and the other and bad board. Other than that I've not had a single issue even if the homeowners don't perform the required service when they should. I have no doubt almost any issue can be traced back to an improperly installed boiler/system. In fact about 35% of my boiler work is repairing other contractors boiler installations. Dollar for dollar, HTP offers one of the best products on the market. I will continue to sell and install them until someone offers a better unit for the money.

Date created: 2011-03-18 Name: R. Mathieu
Location: Augusta, ME

"Munchkin Service in Augusta Maine?"
I have a Munchkin T80 and have had occasional F09s but nothing like what I have read here. This site has made me determined to find a good service tech with experience with Munchkins. Can anyone make a recommendation? I live in Augusta Maine.

Date created: 2011-03-09 Name: Homer
Location: Nevada

""Just the Facts, Mam."--Joe Friday"
Ken H--Central PA--Let's get our facts straight for the dear readers. The swirl plate is mow made of nylon and aluminum and is sandwiched between the Dungs gas valve and the blower housing. I think that Ken was referring to the blower impeller, which rotates inside the blower housing and not the swirl plate. The new blowers for the 140M and 199M now have metal impellers. The 80M is still plastic, however. The metal impellers are not one piece cast aluminum, but are constructed of many pieces placed together. I believe that the metal impellers are a vast improvement over the plastic impellers and when replacing a blower, you should insist on a metal impeller in your new replacement blower.---Secondly, it is IMPOSSIBLE to have cavitation in a blower. Cavitation is the creation of micro vapor bubbles which implode at the outer edge of the impeller and volute due to pressure changes within the pump housing. Cavitation is most often very destructive as well as noisy and we try to avoid it in water pumps that have impellers. Ken H. I know what you meant but the dear readers may be in the dark as to what you were implying. My take on the failure of the plastic impeller is this, the plastic impellers, which are made of hydrocarbons are weakened by acidic hydrocarbon vapors from combustion process getting into the blower housing thru gas reversion (an installation issue) and or vapors moving up the fuel plenum to the blower housing from the combustion chamber plus stresses on the rotating impeller. Plastics don't handle acidic hydrocarbons very well.---All high efficiency boilers require regular maintenance. As far as cost savings, my 140M cost about $150 to $200 per month in the cold winter months for heating and domestic hot water, whereas, my old Slant Fin cast iron boiler cost me $300 to $350 a month in winter. So the savings more than compensates for the required maintenance. If natural gas prices escalate the saving would be greater. I haven't had any trouble with my boiler. Of course my Munchkin is professionally installed by a knowledgeable expert, me!

Date created: 2011-03-08 Name: Homer
Location: Nevada

"Throwing off the review results"
Tom--St Louis, MO If you look at my last 4 posts, you would see that I did check neutral. One should read the posts and not depend on the ratings, anyway. There are many posts that repeat that are checked unsatisfied that skew the results, too. It all balances out. When making a decision about buying a boiler, read the posts as they contain a lot of valuable information. Most important--choose your installer wisely.... David--Salem, Virginia A cracked heat exchanger would create water flowing into the combustion chamber and it is unlikely that the boiler would function at all. If it is leaking outside of the boiler shell it is most likely coming from the header connection to the heat exchanger or the brass nipples. these can be fixed... Merle D--N E Iowa Soon, you may not be able to buy a 84% boiler. Europe has mandated by law, the replacement of all inefficient boiler with high efficient ones. The US of A is about 5 to 8 years behind them but catching up fast. Heat Transfer Products makes a low maintenance, efficient boiler called the Pioneer, which is suitable for many boiler replacements in existing systems. Replacing a boiler in an existing system is a difficult challenge. It is better to design a system from scratch in new construction. Then everything works together. Most of these complaints are replacement boiler in existing systems. So the installation is the primary suspect in malfuncting systems. Sometimes the boiler is at fault, but I lay my bet with the application and installation.

Date created: 2011-03-05 Name: Ken H
Location: Central PA

"High efficiency boilers"
You will see a lot of Blower issues on this site. you will see that some state that it is the installing contractor that causes the issue. In some cases this could be true, BUT I will tell you this, the swirl plate mounted to the blower on some earlier models is a molded plastic piece that is also laminated together to form a shell. if this is not properly laminated it will separate and I don't care how little cavitation you have it will disintegrate. PLEASE note I have replaced these fans on several boilers and the new FANS COME WITH A Solid One piece casting of aluminum now!! gee bet the installing contractor didn't tell you about that one did he? Bottom Line, Look at what the manufacture now requires for Routine maintenance, this will cost you hundreds of dollars to have regular Yearly maintenance and I'm sorry the gas savings that the higher efficiency you get will not cover the cost to maintain and repair this system. You are better off burning Coal or Wood than going this route.

Date created: 2011-03-05 Name: Michael Bell
Location: Kenosha WI

"I own 17 Munchkin boilers"
I own a 200 unit apartment complexand we use 17 Munchkin/ModCon boilers for central heat and domestic hot water. Our installations started in 2003. In the beginning, at around year three, we had a number of fault problems with the electronic controllers that seem to be completely eliminated with the upgrade to the 926 controller back in 2007. Also, as with all new technologies, the installers haad to learn the best way yo install. To me, the biggest problems were improper installation and the 925 controller. The new versions of the boilers are very good and I wouldn't consider anything else. Munchkin has continued to relentlessly improved their product.

Date created: 2011-02-28 Name: merle D
Location: N E Iowa

What a piece of shit. Now the blower motor went out! Thinking of buying one.. I'll sell you a used one for scrap price and that would be priced too high. Nothing but trouble from day one. It needs constant maint. and cleaning, and this is not something that the home owener can do. If I had to do it over again I would put in the cheapest 80% boiler I could fine and it would be a hell of a lot better. The dealer that sold it to me does not sell them anymore but still services them much as he hates to. DO NOT BUY!!!

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>