Consumer Reviews of HTP boilers

Read more about HTP boilers

<< Previous12131415161718192021222324Next >>

Date created: 2009-02-23 Name: Steven Whitbeck

"Steven - BELTLINE HEATING"
John and others - You really need to find a qualified Munchkin service man. If you are having constant weekly or monthly service problems - Call your regional munchkin rep. and ask for someone they recommend. If you join a class action suit you will be in for a big supprise. Your boiler wasn't installed or serviced properly. EVERY Munchkin boiler that I have seen that is having problems was not installed properly. Pull out the Munchkin manual and find out how to get into the diagnostic mode ang get to D7. With the burner off it should read 0.0 With the burner on it should be at least 3.0 to a max of 4.0 with the 925 control. If your reading is less than that, you have a problem. There are many causes for F09 but almost ALL of them are not the fault of the boiler. I own a HVAC company and have been installing boilers for 34 years and Munchkin boilers for the last 8 years.

Date created: 2009-02-23 Name: John Seawright
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado

"Wholesaler"
The fact is that most Munchkins are working fine. Knowledgeable technicians and not taking the lowest bid price for install may have an impact on many of these complaints.

Date created: 2009-02-23 Name: John Seawright
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado

"Wholesaler"
We have sold & serviced (with local plumbers) the Munchkin Boilers since their release. This is the first 'Made-In-USA' High Efficiency Boiler and there have been problems - as with every first production run. The Pressure Switch and Blower are problems. They have recently set up & trained a network of service techs that can handle these problems and many others that arise from poor install and lack of standard maintenance. Cold houses - when the boiler is running is a result of incorrect sizing.

Date created: 2009-02-17 Name: John Mccallister
Location: Camden, ME

"Home Owner"
Multiple repairs. Noisy. Push the restart button 2-4 times per week. Worst heating system I have ever had. And that includes the oil heater in my hut. What a piece of junk.

Date created: 2009-02-15 Name: John Shank
Location: Lititz, PA

Installed in fall of 2005. Have been getting numerous f09 lockouts 6 months after install to present. Techs tell me not to drop my service contract and all will be fine. That's just great, except the weekly or Monthly service calls: no heat, no hot water; is's just too much. I can't beleive this is happening and no one can fix it or will take responsibilty and replace it. Sign me up for the class action lawsuit. I just had the unit serviced on Monday after numerous F09's on Sunday. Had 5 F09's between the time it was serviced on Monday and the a full furnace cleaning on Wednesday. I have since had one F09 on Friday, one on Saturday, and on so far today (Sunday). I will place yet another service call tomorrow. Stay away!!

Date created: 2009-02-05 Name: Steven Whitbeck
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

"Steven - BELTLINE HEATING"
The Munchkin boiler can not be vented with a concentric vent termination. I know that the install manuall shows it vented with a concentric vent termination but it will not work. You will get vent gas reversion and this will cause the burner blower to go out and after a few of those you will lose the 925 controller. The intake pipe must be seperated from the vent pipe vertically by at least 16 inches. I usually put a downturn elboe without a screen for the intake. For the exhaust I snorkel the pipe up at least 16 inches and then put a 45* angle pointing up and out with a screen in it. This works well for me. If you are getting an f09 fault code it may be caused by water held in the boiler. Be sure the drain is clear and the boiler must be tipped slightly toard the back. If you are still having f09 problems check the burner gasket on the r1 versions. You will probably find that the burner is loose. Replace the gasket and put anti-sieze on the 4 screws. When I clean the heat exchanger I also use a feeler guage to clean between the tubes. There are regular spaced bumps to hold the tubes apart. If you are having banging noises from the boiler when it is firing it is probably caused by a plugged heat exchanger tube. ( The installer should have put in a sand strainer on the inlet pipe ) With a proper install and maintenance the Munchkin boiler should be trouble free. This should stop most of your problems.

Date created: 2009-02-05 Name: B&B Enterprises
Location: Middleburgh, NY

"You need an experienced installer and tech that has munchkin training"
I have installed at least 20 of these boilers and have had a few problems, but not many, and surely not as expensive of repair problems as I have read here. I have been to their training and to their factory and have worked with their tech people, who have even come to the site. You must set these up right, and use combustion equipment when setting up, or you will have problems... leveling is extremely important also. Also, like any other boiler, you need to service them annually, especially since it is a condensing boiler. I would not recommend this boiler to anyone who is not trained properly for this specific boiler, as then I would expect you to have problems.

Date created: 2009-01-26 Name: R Stein
Location: Evanston, IL

"Very unreliable"
Tonight I put another $900 into my Munchkin boiler. My service company comes to fix the unit and is generally successful, but I can't trust this boiler. For a while it was going out without restarting if there was a hint of a power failure in the neighborhood. Tonight I had to replace the blower motor, 6 weeks past the 3 year warranty. I am anxious when out of town during the winter - can't be sure I won't come home to burst water pipes. I would be interested in a class action against this company.

Date created: 2009-01-26 Name: tom
Location: Marcy, NY

"Dont buy a munckin"
This boiler has been an absolute nightmare..the vibrations can be heard 2 houses up the road..imagine hearing a loud vibration at 2am and feeling like your whole house is shaking..worst part is that no one can figure out what is wrong with it and it's been over 2 years..now i'm out $8,000

Date created: 2009-01-25 Name: Norm Leger
Location: Worchester County, MA

"Wally"
I am hvac contractor in Mass. and have installed over 20 of the Munchkin boilers, mostly the new Contenders. I am not plumber, but specialize in residential heating. I agree that the installer makes all the difference. I have no problems at all with these condensing boilers and would recommend them highly. HAVE IT INSTALLED BY QUALIFIED PERSON

<< Previous12131415161718192021222324Next >>