Consumer Reviews of HTP boilers

Read more about HTP boilers

<< Previous101112131415161718192021222324Next >>

Date created: 2009-10-29 Name: Tom C.

"Munchkin 199M"
My Munchkin ran good the first year and then I had so many problems that I would wake up and run down to check and see if it was running. I have spent over $2000 in repairs in the past 5 years and have gotten zero support from the manufacturer. Believe me, they know they are selling lemons. People can talk all they want about installation, I think its a crappy product. If it is an installation problem why won't the company respond to my complaints or discuss the issues with me.

Date created: 2009-10-29 Name: keith rounds

"Keith rounds owner"
The munchkin boiler is pretty to look at but performs at a negitive 20 on a scale of 1-100. We have had 150 to 200 failures per year since we have owned this heater. fo9 failure code is a well know ephamisim in our household. please come a get the damn thing out of my house. the only failure greater is the response to the costomers demands for a safe and reliable product. hell our 16 year old daughter knows how to take the flame retorfier and clean it to get hot water for a shower.

Date created: 2009-10-29 Name: slamont

"FOR SALE"
Do you enjoy cold showers? Do you like to wake up freezing from your attic air handler running with no heat? Do you like walking down two flights of stairs in your underwear to reset fault codes? Well I have the perfect boiler for you. It a three year old munchkin boiler. It malfunctions like clockwork. Did I mention that their customer service sucks? All of you that say it's great put your money where your mouth is. I'll take best offer. Comes with factory tailight warranty. (when you can't see their tailights the warranty is over)

Date created: 2009-10-27 Name: Steven

"Steven - BELTLINE HEATING"
Again - If you are having constant problems with your Munchkin boiler - get a different qualified service technician. If you have to replace the impellar or the plastic swirl plate you have a exhaust gas reversion problem.( boiler is sucking up it's own exhaust or the exhaust from another appliance ( water heater ) If you have to replace the blower it is caused by the same reversion. If the boiler isn't installed properly and overheats it will eventually destroy the heat exchanger. The heat exchanger Must be cleaned yearly. vacuame out the coffee grounds, use a brass bristle brush to brush the corosion off and then use a feeler guage to clean between the heat exchanger yubes. ( be careful and also there are nubs about every 2 inches that hold the tubes apart ) after brushing and cleaning between the tubes I use a short hose with the end cut off and push it up against the tubes and spray water between the tubes ( this flushes the bottom pan and the drain line. I kneed the drain line to break up any build up so it will flush out ) If your service tech doesn't use a CO meter to set up the combustion then don't let him touch your boiler. It should be set at 100 PPM CO at high fire in space heating mode. Check CO at what is your max normal operating temperature. If you have to replace either of the refractories then you have a moisture problem. ( pluged drain line )

Date created: 2009-10-26 Name: s.lamont

"Don't buy-junk"
This boiler worked for the first year with no problems. The second year I had numerous lock out codes. The third year this thing was going into lock out (f18) three times a day as soon as the cold weather started. It ran fine running the superstore all summer and now it shuts off anytime randomly. Maybe it was a bad installation, maybe a lack of service, ( I can't find anyone who knows shit about them) All I know is the amount you'll save in propane, you'll spend on service calls- so go get a less efficient one that works. I had a natural gas furnace at my old house that was probably 40 years old didn't have to do shit to it and it worked beautifully-same thing with the space heater upstairs. All I know is someone spending this kind of money on a product does not want to worry about taking cold showers or having their air handler in the attic freeze up while they are away on vacation.(I've had to have people come over to check and reset while away) I emailed customer support with my problems and never got a response. I don't care if they give me anything for free- I just want someone to fix this big pos.

Date created: 2009-10-23 Name: Jake Smith

"Stay away from Munchkin!"
Little over a year after installation, during it's second season of use, the unit developed a problem whereby it does not drain properly. The hvac guys have checked and fixed the problem three times and have upgraded the drain tubing to one with a larger diameter and still the problem came back. My unit is converted to LP and once the drain gets clogged up with brown sand-like deposits, it no longer drains and the system won't light, throwing up F09 errors constantly. On the last visit, just a week ago, we had a factory certified Munchkin tech go over it and give it a clean bill. This morning, as temps dropped, the thing did the failure to light again. In addition to that, we have radiant heat and when the furnace kicks off due to an error, the water circulating pump doesn't get shut off. The first time the problem occurred the pump ran continuously until it burned itself up and had to be replaced alongside having the furnace fixed. Do NOT buy this Munchkin product! Even if it may be designed and tested to work well in ideal conditions, experience has shown this consumer it does not work well in real world conditions. AT ALL!

Date created: 2009-09-23 Name: L. Chrisst
Location: Chicago

"Junkin' my Munchkin"
My hvac guy recommended a Munchkin boiler to supply adequate heat for my children's playroom as well as my office, both of which are in the basement of our Chicago home. When it was first installed, it was warm and cozy down there. After three months, the problems started. Broken fan blades on the gas inlet, multiple f error codes, leaks, shutdowns, moisture. imho, the Munchkin boiler has been the most unreliable product I have ever owned. To top it off, the manufacturers have been anything but helpful. Needless to say, it was a waste of $6,450 plus 7 visits from hvac contractors-all in three years-and still not working. I'm going to toss it and purchase a Buderus, which I know works well and is reliable.

Date created: 2009-09-09 Name: Anthony Graziano

"Munchkin boilers are the best ( Installers are the problem)"
I do not own a Munchkin boiler. After reading so many letters from pissed off owners, I might think the boiler is a piece of shit. But being a repair technican as well an installer, I can tell all of you that 99% of problematic Munchkins are Installer related. The boiler piping & venting are critical for the proper operation of this modulating/condensing unit. So you all really need to evaluate why your boiler is such a headache. I will guarantee that the problem is directly installer related.

Date created: 2009-09-05 Name: C Goodrich

"Works like a charm, big savings on gas"
My 9 year old Burnham series 2 had to be replaced due to a cracked casting. I decided to look into modcons and my plumber recommended Munchkin, he said he had installed lots of them. By the way his installation team worked, they had installed quite a few. I will say this, however, this is not a do it your self job, or for a solo plumber who only installs one every other year. If your plumber likes a competing modcon, go with what he is familiar installing and servicing. My suspicicion is that the complaints on this board are due to poor installation and/or service. There was leakage after a month, and that was fixed. Gas savings on a therm basis have been 30 to 80%. Although this is the shoulder period when the savings are the greatest. This should be a good financial return, particularly since I had to replace the boiler. Unlike Veissmann, the control settings are not readily changed by the homeowner. This is good and bad.

Date created: 2009-08-19 Name: Barbara Byers

"Munchkin Review"
The worst investment I have ever made. This boiler is a lemon, and has no redeeming qualities. I have had 16 service calls in 5 years. The manufacturer is nowhere to be found, and my contractor's lack of attention to the issue is likely going to result in a lawsuit. The lesson here is, never buy a Munchkin product, and never have use Vastola Heating in Buffalo, ny.

<< Previous101112131415161718192021222324Next >>