Consumer Reviews of Heat Transfer Products boilers

Read more about Heat Transfer Products boilers

<< Previous910111213141516171819202122232425Next >>

Date created: 2010-01-23 Name: Peter

"Peter"
Every year, it is getting worse. You cannot trust it. It is unreliable. It stops and gives faults in winter when you need it. For the last one month, I am having these f9 and f10 faults every day. They can't fix. I am fed up to the extent that I will replace it this year.

Date created: 2010-01-15 Name: S Wocicki

"Bad, Bad Boiler"
My Munchkin 80m boiler is a piece of shit. I am a general contractor and will never recommend this to any client ever. A couple of years ago, I had to replace the controller, circuit board, fan motor (because someone at the factory didn't tighten all the bolts) and now, in 2010, the unit has no power at all. Heat Transfer Products won't get back to me and the contractor who installed it in 2000 had disappeared.

Date created: 2010-01-12 Name: Mike Pelar, Pelar Plumbing and Hydronic Heating

"Munchkin"
I have installed and serviced numerous Munchkin boilers of all models. Most of the service calls I respond on are a result of improper installation. One of the biggest problems I encounter is re-circ of flue gas into the boiler case, which destroys the swirl plate and fan wheel. It also causes major corrosion of the aluminum components inside the case. This is due mainly to improper installation of the intake/exhuast piping. Most of the f-09 problems I encounter are a result of improper combustion and gas pressure. These must be checked with the proper test equipment to ensure a proper rectification signal is sent to the board to keep the unit running. if your service tech replaced your board and you are still encountering F-09's then its not the boards fault, and you probably have a less than reputable munchkin service man. A factory trained tech can have most of the bugs out of a bad install in one or two trips. 80% of the boilers I encounter have never had a combustion analysis done on them. This is a must on any sealed combustion condensing appliance. Not just Munchkin. Improper piping and incorrect pump sizing is the cause of banging and clanging in the heat exchanger 90% of the time. And as for the loud buzzing noise that wakes you and your neighbors at 2 A.M., once again is a result of improper set up. I fix it all the time on units that have never had combustion tests done or done correctly.

Date created: 2010-01-12 Name: Jan Newman

"Okay but......."
I bought a Model 199mr1 boiler in December 2005. I just paid close to $1000 in repair bills for the circulating pump that died and had started to leak... faulty bearings.... had swirl plate degredation and ceramic target wall and burner door replaced. The first year I owned it I had to have the control panel replaced which was under warranty. Dealing with heat transfer initially was no problem. They were helpful and referred me to appropriate personnel. Installers had gone out of business. Last summer, I heard a strange noise. 2nd contractor had died. Called Heat transfer. No help. Asked for a contractor in the area. No help. Got a guy who said he serviced Munchkin. I have no idea of what he did except take me for a ride. No problem until this winter when noise returned. Finally found an authorized Munchkin service tech with no help from Munchkin. I had been warned that all high efficiency boilers had more problems that normal boiler and super high efficiency were plagued with problems. I quite honestly don't know if this boiler has decreased my heating bill. Probably has as the rates have increased and my bill is about the same. Each year varied so much as to weather that it is difficult to tell. I have been told that in floor heat produces the greatest efficiency. I had hot water baseboard. I have had no further problems with the control panel. I have had no problems with the sometimes frequent electric outages and automatic reset. It is a bitter pill to swallow to drop a $1000 in repairs on a 4 year old furnace. This unit replaces a 1986 Weil-McClain that there were recurrent problems with and factory recalls. This shouldn't be rocket science. Someone should be able to make a furnace that is reasonable, repair free and last 20 years.

Date created: 2010-01-11 Name: Neal A. Douglas

"Neal A. Douglas"
Worst product I have ever purchased. Had professionally installed 5 years ago by a local Heating and AC firm and has not yet successfully functioned for any period in excess of 3 months. Several parts replaced multiple times. Several additions added to the circuitry. Techs are here constantly and are not knowledgeable. Learn as they go along. Unit continually shuts off in the middle of the night then will not re- ingnite (f09). Would be very interested in joining any class action law suits if available.

Date created: 2010-01-05 Name: nick

"Munchin F09 problem"
The Munchin hydronic system works well and is efficient when it works, but I have had intermittent problems with it not lighting up. The error code is f09. I finally took the chance to repair it myself after the service people are only able to fix it to last for a month or so. If you look at the manual, the f09 error explanation points you to the ignitor. It looks like a spark plug (my unit has one main one with 2 internal ignitor bars and one with only one internal bar). I cleaned off the outside connections with steel wool, which seems to work sometimes. When that doesn't fix it, I shut off the unit and remove the ignitor and clean off the ignitor bars with steel wool and push them a little closer together. I suppose that cleaning the ignitor bars and making sure they are close enough together helps the spark jump the gap and ignite the gas. This seems to be the fix. I hope this helps to save some frustrations and costs.

Date created: 2010-01-05 Name: David

"Munchkin Contender Owner install"
Well, I just built a new garage shop and wanted radiant floor heat. I read many reviews so I decided to try this unit. I bought it online for $1800. As the local installers wanted $3800 and $4400 to install without a feeder or installing tubing before cement was poured for slab. Again, the contractors were crazy nuts on install price for this part of job so my wife and I did it. Mainly, my wife did under my supervision as I am disabled so I couldn't do much. By trade, I am a maintenance technician. First, the contractor I had hired for the footings and slab thought I was crazy on how I wanted to install the tubing. Around the footing edges, I wanted a not a flat surface on the edges but an angle. I also wanted only 2 350' section. This was on a 1080 square feet. All the so-called professional installers laughed at me and said I would never heat the shop with it. I loled at them and said I have forgotten more than you will ever know. After install 2" of insulation on the ground base, I laid the fence concrete wire and than walked out the 2 tubing sections with the return feeds towards the middle of the garage then I added rebar after tieing the tubing to the wire fence base and poured the cement. Heating contracts said I was insane throwing money away. Then, after getting shop up, I installed the munchkin contender to a 4x 8 plywood sheet after having already installing wiring to the board. Then, I designed my own manifold system using uponer manifolds. I used 2 small pumps and the concentric flue. Both contractors said that those flues were junk. So just to further prove to them they knew very little, I installed the flue with the air intake 180 degrees different than the manual said as I new exactly what I was doing. I did it just to prove a point, I would recommend that all do it according to install instructions. At the end, I started the boiler up in early November using distilled water. I bought an axion feeder since I had no city water to the shop. One of the installers who came back to do gas analysis in December couldn't believe this setup. In fact, he went and got the owner of his company. They were amazed at the set up of 2 small pumps running at low speed with a 30degree heat differential. This boiler has never run at high burn other than at start up. It always runs at 18,000 btu and only runs 2 times a day burying normal weather and 3 times a day in below zero temps. The thermostat setting is 70 and boiler shuts down at 71 and stays there for hours upon hours. Both men left the shop that day amazed. The contract flue being 180 degrees off had them scratching there heads when they checked for condensation run back on to the boiler flue exit. I lol , They said that's not possible . I said oh really I had proper angle per instruction on the flue (threw wall setup). I am extremely happy with my Munchkin boiler and saved $1000 besides. Since the gas analysts, the owner of the heating company has asked if he could copy my manifold piping set up, I said sure you can. He was a nice guy for even going the analyst for a self-install. I gave him the air conditioning contract for this spring. I will have a step-by-step video of this install on youtube shortly to help others out. My wife did all the sweeping on the copper tubing for manifold piping/feeder/air separator/diaphragm expansion tank and the 2 circulators and all drains and shutoffs. It's going to be a good show and proper sweeping of copper tubing.

Date created: 2010-01-02 Name: T. Stroozas
Location: Alaska

"Munchkin 140m Service Issues"
Since we installed this unit in 2004, we had experienced service issues annually amounting to ~$2000 since our house was built. Since 2004, we are now on our 3rd blower motor and have also replaced the pressure switch twice. Our recently installed blower motor now "trumpets" like a goose upon start up and then quiets down after about 15 seconds. So we always know when it comes on. Due to our location in Alaska, we often experience significant ice buildup on the outside vent that unless it is chipped off, the boiler will not operate due to combustion air issues. Although we have had issues, the energy savings has been worth the aggrevation. We have a freeze alarm installed via our telephone system to let us know if the boiler fails so that our house won't freeze when we are gone for prolonged periods in the winter. I highly recommend that everyone with a Munchkin consider this "early warning" device. For $225, it's a great insurance policy!

Date created: 2009-12-23 Name: T Mechanic

"Re: Munchkins and their issues"
Munchkin boilers do have their issues. We service them all the time. If they are installed right and maintained once a year diligently, they run okay. We have seen several failed heat exchangers and a couple of blower replacements. Target walls inside heat exchanger needs replacing quite often when servicing. They can be kept running if initially installed right and combustion set properly. Don't let anyone work on them without computerized combustion analyzer that they use. Noises, reliefs, leaking etc. outside of boiler not running, these are not boiler problems. This is a system problem and again, qualified mechanics can figure this out. Merry Xmas to all.

Date created: 2009-12-22 Name: R. Faulkner

"F--- is what I say every morning."
I bought this Munchkin boiler with high anticipation. I have the same problems as others on this site. F-10 is my most common but I have had many. The thing just quits in the middle of the night and there is no pattern to the malfunctions so that I can identify the problem. It is as if this thing has a mind of its own. It just goes on strike at the most inopportune times. This Munchkin company keeps itself more secret than the CIA. There is no one to go to for help.

<< Previous910111213141516171819202122232425Next >>