Consumer Reviews of Heat Transfer Products boilers

Read more about Heat Transfer Products boilers

<< Previous910111213141516171819202122232425Next >>

Date created: 2010-01-12 Name: Mike Pelar, Pelar Plumbing and Hydronic Heating

"Munchkin"
I have installed and serviced numerous Munchkin boilers of all models. Most of the service calls I respond on are a result of improper installation. One of the biggest problems I encounter is re-circ of flue gas into the boiler case, which destroys the swirl plate and fan wheel. It also causes major corrosion of the aluminum components inside the case. This is due mainly to improper installation of the intake/exhuast piping. Most of the f-09 problems I encounter are a result of improper combustion and gas pressure. These must be checked with the proper test equipment to ensure a proper rectification signal is sent to the board to keep the unit running. if your service tech replaced your board and you are still encountering F-09's then its not the boards fault, and you probably have a less than reputable munchkin service man. A factory trained tech can have most of the bugs out of a bad install in one or two trips. 80% of the boilers I encounter have never had a combustion analysis done on them. This is a must on any sealed combustion condensing appliance. Not just Munchkin. Improper piping and incorrect pump sizing is the cause of banging and clanging in the heat exchanger 90% of the time. And as for the loud buzzing noise that wakes you and your neighbors at 2 A.M., once again is a result of improper set up. I fix it all the time on units that have never had combustion tests done or done correctly.

Date created: 2010-01-12 Name: Jan Newman

"Okay but......."
I bought a Model 199mr1 boiler in December 2005. I just paid close to $1000 in repair bills for the circulating pump that died and had started to leak... faulty bearings.... had swirl plate degredation and ceramic target wall and burner door replaced. The first year I owned it I had to have the control panel replaced which was under warranty. Dealing with heat transfer initially was no problem. They were helpful and referred me to appropriate personnel. Installers had gone out of business. Last summer, I heard a strange noise. 2nd contractor had died. Called Heat transfer. No help. Asked for a contractor in the area. No help. Got a guy who said he serviced Munchkin. I have no idea of what he did except take me for a ride. No problem until this winter when noise returned. Finally found an authorized Munchkin service tech with no help from Munchkin. I had been warned that all high efficiency boilers had more problems that normal boiler and super high efficiency were plagued with problems. I quite honestly don't know if this boiler has decreased my heating bill. Probably has as the rates have increased and my bill is about the same. Each year varied so much as to weather that it is difficult to tell. I have been told that in floor heat produces the greatest efficiency. I had hot water baseboard. I have had no further problems with the control panel. I have had no problems with the sometimes frequent electric outages and automatic reset. It is a bitter pill to swallow to drop a $1000 in repairs on a 4 year old furnace. This unit replaces a 1986 Weil-McClain that there were recurrent problems with and factory recalls. This shouldn't be rocket science. Someone should be able to make a furnace that is reasonable, repair free and last 20 years.

Date created: 2010-01-11 Name: Neal A. Douglas

"Neal A. Douglas"
Worst product I have ever purchased. Had professionally installed 5 years ago by a local Heating and AC firm and has not yet successfully functioned for any period in excess of 3 months. Several parts replaced multiple times. Several additions added to the circuitry. Techs are here constantly and are not knowledgeable. Learn as they go along. Unit continually shuts off in the middle of the night then will not re- ingnite (f09). Would be very interested in joining any class action law suits if available.

Date created: 2010-01-05 Name: nick

"Munchin F09 problem"
The Munchin hydronic system works well and is efficient when it works, but I have had intermittent problems with it not lighting up. The error code is f09. I finally took the chance to repair it myself after the service people are only able to fix it to last for a month or so. If you look at the manual, the f09 error explanation points you to the ignitor. It looks like a spark plug (my unit has one main one with 2 internal ignitor bars and one with only one internal bar). I cleaned off the outside connections with steel wool, which seems to work sometimes. When that doesn't fix it, I shut off the unit and remove the ignitor and clean off the ignitor bars with steel wool and push them a little closer together. I suppose that cleaning the ignitor bars and making sure they are close enough together helps the spark jump the gap and ignite the gas. This seems to be the fix. I hope this helps to save some frustrations and costs.

Date created: 2010-01-05 Name: David

"Munchkin Contender Owner install"
Well, I just built a new garage shop and wanted radiant floor heat. I read many reviews so I decided to try this unit. I bought it online for $1800. As the local installers wanted $3800 and $4400 to install without a feeder or installing tubing before cement was poured for slab. Again, the contractors were crazy nuts on install price for this part of job so my wife and I did it. Mainly, my wife did under my supervision as I am disabled so I couldn't do much. By trade, I am a maintenance technician. First, the contractor I had hired for the footings and slab thought I was crazy on how I wanted to install the tubing. Around the footing edges, I wanted a not a flat surface on the edges but an angle. I also wanted only 2 350' section. This was on a 1080 square feet. All the so-called professional installers laughed at me and said I would never heat the shop with it. I loled at them and said I have forgotten more than you will ever know. After install 2" of insulation on the ground base, I laid the fence concrete wire and than walked out the 2 tubing sections with the return feeds towards the middle of the garage then I added rebar after tieing the tubing to the wire fence base and poured the cement. Heating contracts said I was insane throwing money away. Then, after getting shop up, I installed the munchkin contender to a 4x 8 plywood sheet after having already installing wiring to the board. Then, I designed my own manifold system using uponer manifolds. I used 2 small pumps and the concentric flue. Both contractors said that those flues were junk. So just to further prove to them they knew very little, I installed the flue with the air intake 180 degrees different than the manual said as I new exactly what I was doing. I did it just to prove a point, I would recommend that all do it according to install instructions. At the end, I started the boiler up in early November using distilled water. I bought an axion feeder since I had no city water to the shop. One of the installers who came back to do gas analysis in December couldn't believe this setup. In fact, he went and got the owner of his company. They were amazed at the set up of 2 small pumps running at low speed with a 30degree heat differential. This boiler has never run at high burn other than at start up. It always runs at 18,000 btu and only runs 2 times a day burying normal weather and 3 times a day in below zero temps. The thermostat setting is 70 and boiler shuts down at 71 and stays there for hours upon hours. Both men left the shop that day amazed. The contract flue being 180 degrees off had them scratching there heads when they checked for condensation run back on to the boiler flue exit. I lol , They said that's not possible . I said oh really I had proper angle per instruction on the flue (threw wall setup). I am extremely happy with my Munchkin boiler and saved $1000 besides. Since the gas analysts, the owner of the heating company has asked if he could copy my manifold piping set up, I said sure you can. He was a nice guy for even going the analyst for a self-install. I gave him the air conditioning contract for this spring. I will have a step-by-step video of this install on youtube shortly to help others out. My wife did all the sweeping on the copper tubing for manifold piping/feeder/air separator/diaphragm expansion tank and the 2 circulators and all drains and shutoffs. It's going to be a good show and proper sweeping of copper tubing.

Date created: 2010-01-02 Name: T. Stroozas
Location: Alaska

"Munchkin 140m Service Issues"
Since we installed this unit in 2004, we had experienced service issues annually amounting to ~$2000 since our house was built. Since 2004, we are now on our 3rd blower motor and have also replaced the pressure switch twice. Our recently installed blower motor now "trumpets" like a goose upon start up and then quiets down after about 15 seconds. So we always know when it comes on. Due to our location in Alaska, we often experience significant ice buildup on the outside vent that unless it is chipped off, the boiler will not operate due to combustion air issues. Although we have had issues, the energy savings has been worth the aggrevation. We have a freeze alarm installed via our telephone system to let us know if the boiler fails so that our house won't freeze when we are gone for prolonged periods in the winter. I highly recommend that everyone with a Munchkin consider this "early warning" device. For $225, it's a great insurance policy!

Date created: 2009-12-23 Name: T Mechanic

"Re: Munchkins and their issues"
Munchkin boilers do have their issues. We service them all the time. If they are installed right and maintained once a year diligently, they run okay. We have seen several failed heat exchangers and a couple of blower replacements. Target walls inside heat exchanger needs replacing quite often when servicing. They can be kept running if initially installed right and combustion set properly. Don't let anyone work on them without computerized combustion analyzer that they use. Noises, reliefs, leaking etc. outside of boiler not running, these are not boiler problems. This is a system problem and again, qualified mechanics can figure this out. Merry Xmas to all.

Date created: 2009-12-22 Name: R. Faulkner

"F--- is what I say every morning."
I bought this Munchkin boiler with high anticipation. I have the same problems as others on this site. F-10 is my most common but I have had many. The thing just quits in the middle of the night and there is no pattern to the malfunctions so that I can identify the problem. It is as if this thing has a mind of its own. It just goes on strike at the most inopportune times. This Munchkin company keeps itself more secret than the CIA. There is no one to go to for help.

Date created: 2009-12-19 Name: E. Janzen

"Our Munchkin Headache"
When we built our house in 2003 we were told of this very compact high efficient boiler. Since the day we have moved in, the boiler has been nothing but a nightmare. Each winter, we have had difficulties with f9 and f10. We have had service people in to check out the system. This year, we are now having to replace the fan motor. We have had other units in other places that have worked for many more years than this unit has. I would not recommend this boiler to anyone, unless they make several improvements.

Date created: 2009-12-19 Name: Jim
Location: South

"Master Plumber Installed Munchkin"
I am a retired Master Plumber who installed many hot water heating systems in my lifetime. I did not know too much about Munchkin prior to purchasing my unit, but I did my homework and liked the general properties of the system. I live in the South where heating is not a real big issue, but it does get cold. I wanted to heat 4500 sf on lp gas. I set up a 3 zone system using zone control valves and 1 main circulating pump, and balancing valves. I also installed the domestic hot water tank. I used the m80 boiler because I wanted the boiler to have to work verses cycle too often. I felt this might be somewhat of a chore for the unit, but it only had to work one zone at a time based upon temperature settings. I found the installation to be generally straight forward, but everything had to be just right. Water flow is important, as is gas volume and as stated in prior comments co readings. Yes, I have had my share of fault readings, but those fault readings indicate issues the boiler is having. Once the system is twicked to perfection all works very well and provides all the required heating to my 4500 sf as well as my domestic hot water. The test for me will be will the unit hold up in the long haul. Proper maintenance will be key. Knowing the general lack of education and knowledge of many of todays' techs, I have to presume many of the problems people are having with this equipment is due to improper installation. I know that does no good whatsoever for the average homeowner who knows nothing, but turning up the thermostat, so if your guy ain't too swift, find someone who knows what the heck he/she is doing. If they know nothing about Munchkins, then they will be lost as there is a world of difference between a conventional boiler and a Munchkin. Thus far, I am very impressed with the system but yes the manufacturers are of little help. Make them, sell them, make profit, walk away, but that's pretty much the standard today...not all, but many.

<< Previous910111213141516171819202122232425Next >>