Consumer Reviews of HTP boilers

Read more about HTP boilers

<< Previous89101112131415161718192021222324Next >>

Date created: 2010-01-11 Name: Neal A. Douglas

"Neal A. Douglas"
Worst product I have ever purchased. Had professionally installed 5 years ago by a local Heating and AC firm and has not yet successfully functioned for any period in excess of 3 months. Several parts replaced multiple times. Several additions added to the circuitry. Techs are here constantly and are not knowledgeable. Learn as they go along. Unit continually shuts off in the middle of the night then will not re- ingnite (f09). Would be very interested in joining any class action law suits if available.

Date created: 2010-01-05 Name: nick

"Munchin F09 problem"
The Munchin hydronic system works well and is efficient when it works, but I have had intermittent problems with it not lighting up. The error code is f09. I finally took the chance to repair it myself after the service people are only able to fix it to last for a month or so. If you look at the manual, the f09 error explanation points you to the ignitor. It looks like a spark plug (my unit has one main one with 2 internal ignitor bars and one with only one internal bar). I cleaned off the outside connections with steel wool, which seems to work sometimes. When that doesn't fix it, I shut off the unit and remove the ignitor and clean off the ignitor bars with steel wool and push them a little closer together. I suppose that cleaning the ignitor bars and making sure they are close enough together helps the spark jump the gap and ignite the gas. This seems to be the fix. I hope this helps to save some frustrations and costs.

Date created: 2010-01-05 Name: David

"Munchkin Contender Owner install"
Well, I just built a new garage shop and wanted radiant floor heat. I read many reviews so I decided to try this unit. I bought it online for $1800. As the local installers wanted $3800 and $4400 to install without a feeder or installing tubing before cement was poured for slab. Again, the contractors were crazy nuts on install price for this part of job so my wife and I did it. Mainly, my wife did under my supervision as I am disabled so I couldn't do much. By trade, I am a maintenance technician. First, the contractor I had hired for the footings and slab thought I was crazy on how I wanted to install the tubing. Around the footing edges, I wanted a not a flat surface on the edges but an angle. I also wanted only 2 350' section. This was on a 1080 square feet. All the so-called professional installers laughed at me and said I would never heat the shop with it. I loled at them and said I have forgotten more than you will ever know. After install 2" of insulation on the ground base, I laid the fence concrete wire and than walked out the 2 tubing sections with the return feeds towards the middle of the garage then I added rebar after tieing the tubing to the wire fence base and poured the cement. Heating contracts said I was insane throwing money away. Then, after getting shop up, I installed the munchkin contender to a 4x 8 plywood sheet after having already installing wiring to the board. Then, I designed my own manifold system using uponer manifolds. I used 2 small pumps and the concentric flue. Both contractors said that those flues were junk. So just to further prove to them they knew very little, I installed the flue with the air intake 180 degrees different than the manual said as I new exactly what I was doing. I did it just to prove a point, I would recommend that all do it according to install instructions. At the end, I started the boiler up in early November using distilled water. I bought an axion feeder since I had no city water to the shop. One of the installers who came back to do gas analysis in December couldn't believe this setup. In fact, he went and got the owner of his company. They were amazed at the set up of 2 small pumps running at low speed with a 30degree heat differential. This boiler has never run at high burn other than at start up. It always runs at 18,000 btu and only runs 2 times a day burying normal weather and 3 times a day in below zero temps. The thermostat setting is 70 and boiler shuts down at 71 and stays there for hours upon hours. Both men left the shop that day amazed. The contract flue being 180 degrees off had them scratching there heads when they checked for condensation run back on to the boiler flue exit. I lol , They said that's not possible . I said oh really I had proper angle per instruction on the flue (threw wall setup). I am extremely happy with my Munchkin boiler and saved $1000 besides. Since the gas analysts, the owner of the heating company has asked if he could copy my manifold piping set up, I said sure you can. He was a nice guy for even going the analyst for a self-install. I gave him the air conditioning contract for this spring. I will have a step-by-step video of this install on youtube shortly to help others out. My wife did all the sweeping on the copper tubing for manifold piping/feeder/air separator/diaphragm expansion tank and the 2 circulators and all drains and shutoffs. It's going to be a good show and proper sweeping of copper tubing.

Date created: 2010-01-02 Name: T. Stroozas
Location: Alaska

"Munchkin 140m Service Issues"
Since we installed this unit in 2004, we had experienced service issues annually amounting to ~$2000 since our house was built. Since 2004, we are now on our 3rd blower motor and have also replaced the pressure switch twice. Our recently installed blower motor now "trumpets" like a goose upon start up and then quiets down after about 15 seconds. So we always know when it comes on. Due to our location in Alaska, we often experience significant ice buildup on the outside vent that unless it is chipped off, the boiler will not operate due to combustion air issues. Although we have had issues, the energy savings has been worth the aggrevation. We have a freeze alarm installed via our telephone system to let us know if the boiler fails so that our house won't freeze when we are gone for prolonged periods in the winter. I highly recommend that everyone with a Munchkin consider this "early warning" device. For $225, it's a great insurance policy!

Date created: 2009-12-23 Name: T Mechanic

"Re: Munchkins and their issues"
Munchkin boilers do have their issues. We service them all the time. If they are installed right and maintained once a year diligently, they run okay. We have seen several failed heat exchangers and a couple of blower replacements. Target walls inside heat exchanger needs replacing quite often when servicing. They can be kept running if initially installed right and combustion set properly. Don't let anyone work on them without computerized combustion analyzer that they use. Noises, reliefs, leaking etc. outside of boiler not running, these are not boiler problems. This is a system problem and again, qualified mechanics can figure this out. Merry Xmas to all.

Date created: 2009-12-22 Name: R. Faulkner

"F--- is what I say every morning."
I bought this Munchkin boiler with high anticipation. I have the same problems as others on this site. F-10 is my most common but I have had many. The thing just quits in the middle of the night and there is no pattern to the malfunctions so that I can identify the problem. It is as if this thing has a mind of its own. It just goes on strike at the most inopportune times. This Munchkin company keeps itself more secret than the CIA. There is no one to go to for help.

Date created: 2009-12-19 Name: E. Janzen

"Our Munchkin Headache"
When we built our house in 2003 we were told of this very compact high efficient boiler. Since the day we have moved in, the boiler has been nothing but a nightmare. Each winter, we have had difficulties with f9 and f10. We have had service people in to check out the system. This year, we are now having to replace the fan motor. We have had other units in other places that have worked for many more years than this unit has. I would not recommend this boiler to anyone, unless they make several improvements.

Date created: 2009-12-19 Name: Jim
Location: South

"Master Plumber Installed Munchkin"
I am a retired Master Plumber who installed many hot water heating systems in my lifetime. I did not know too much about Munchkin prior to purchasing my unit, but I did my homework and liked the general properties of the system. I live in the South where heating is not a real big issue, but it does get cold. I wanted to heat 4500 sf on lp gas. I set up a 3 zone system using zone control valves and 1 main circulating pump, and balancing valves. I also installed the domestic hot water tank. I used the m80 boiler because I wanted the boiler to have to work verses cycle too often. I felt this might be somewhat of a chore for the unit, but it only had to work one zone at a time based upon temperature settings. I found the installation to be generally straight forward, but everything had to be just right. Water flow is important, as is gas volume and as stated in prior comments co readings. Yes, I have had my share of fault readings, but those fault readings indicate issues the boiler is having. Once the system is twicked to perfection all works very well and provides all the required heating to my 4500 sf as well as my domestic hot water. The test for me will be will the unit hold up in the long haul. Proper maintenance will be key. Knowing the general lack of education and knowledge of many of todays' techs, I have to presume many of the problems people are having with this equipment is due to improper installation. I know that does no good whatsoever for the average homeowner who knows nothing, but turning up the thermostat, so if your guy ain't too swift, find someone who knows what the heck he/she is doing. If they know nothing about Munchkins, then they will be lost as there is a world of difference between a conventional boiler and a Munchkin. Thus far, I am very impressed with the system but yes the manufacturers are of little help. Make them, sell them, make profit, walk away, but that's pretty much the standard today...not all, but many.

Date created: 2009-12-15 Name: B. Stork

"Works good"
I've owned this unit for 7 years and never had a problem just now. It is starting to not fire. I've done little maintenance like keeping it clean and keeping the drain tube clear. From reading other reviews, I believe it is time for me to find a knowledgeable technician familiar with them.

Date created: 2009-12-15 Name: Slamont

"Fixed for now"
I finally got through to Gary at Heat Transfer Products in Freetown MA. He walked us through the steps to fix the problem. The circuit board wasn't sending the right voltage to the gas valve. However, it didn't show up when he tested it but it did malfunction when under a real load. After that, we got the f09 code. One of the technical supports said to put your hand to cover the fan shroud and it would go away, which it did. So for the time being, we put a piece of furnace filter to restrict intake. The unit was running too lean. He said that the combustion should be set with a combustion analyzer when installed. I scheduled a cleaning with a friend of mine that usually serviced oil burners. He contacted Gary and was talked through the process and everything works well now. We were able to remove the filter after it got dialed in. I hope this info helps someone. I did have a hard time finding this simple info. They should inform installers that this thing needs to be tuned up not just put together upon install.

<< Previous89101112131415161718192021222324Next >>