Consumer Reviews of Heat Transfer Products boilers

Read more about Heat Transfer Products boilers

<< Previous8910111213141516171819202122232425Next >>

Date created: 2010-02-23 Name: Sherry L.

"Boiler doesn't work"
The boiler doesn't stay on. I have to check all the time and manually turn it on. I paid $$$ to have a fancy radiant heat system put in, and the Munchkin is ruining the whole thing. My very experienced Munchkin guy says you constantly have to tweak these, but he doesn't know what's going on and will start randomly replacing parts.

Date created: 2010-02-23 Name: David R. Eggleston

"My Bane, The Munchkin"
I was hoodwinked into buying the Munchkin by Howell's Heating and Air of Ashland, Virginia. Obviously, they did not, contrary to their assurances, know how to install the boiler. It never really warmed the house. The last straw was when it was throwing f14 codes, and Howell's repair tech simply rebooted the machine and told me it was O.K. I told him I had already rebooted the machine 40 times over the weekend, and his response was, "This is a high efficiency machine. You can't expect too much heat from it." I would've liked some heat, however. I contacted Munchkin's Virginia distributor, and they provided me with the name of an alternate trained service company, which had ceased selling Munchkins because of performance issues, and they promptly informed me that I'd have to pay over half the price of the machine and wait two weeks for some parts that might fail within the next two months. I chose a new boiler. I find it funny that the installers who comment on this site (who must have an interest in selling these units) toe the Munchkin company line and blame everything on the installers. And yes, my problems were probably caused initially by poor installation. However, it is the responsibility of Munchkin's manufacturer to certify their installers. If Munchkin knew how temperamental these machines are, why did they certify so many obvious incompetents? Besides, if you have a machine that is so complex that it can only be successfully installed 15% of the time, you're preying on the public knowing you have a sure defense (poor installation) and knowing you won't get repeat business. All around, the Munchkin is a poorly-engineered unit made by crooks and installed by mental defectives.

Date created: 2010-02-19 Name: Steven Whitbeck

"Munchkin installer"
Again --- The F09 fault code is NEVER a problem with the boiler. IF you are having constant F09 fault codes, it is the fault of the installation or the lack of proper (qualified) service. If you have repeated F09 fault codes and the service company you are using keeps coming out. GET A NEW SERVICE COMPANY I repair bad installs every year that have monthly if not weekly service problems. After repairing the install, it is unusual for the boiler to need more than the yearly tune up. THIS IS NOT BS - I DO THIS FOR A LIVING IF you hire a lawyer, you are in for a big surprise when they bring out the experts and you find out that your boiler isn't installed properly or hasn't been serviced properly.

Date created: 2010-02-15 Name: T. Smith

"Munchkin Boiler - trouble since the year it was installed"
I am seriously considering contacting a lawyer regarding a lawsuit against the company. We have had trouble with the Munchkin boiler we had installed since the first year we had it installed. We can't even take a vacation in the winter due to the fear of the furnace turning off due to the f09 error. We have had to call the repair people every year, with the last repair costing over 2,000. I have contacted htp and they told me they have had no problems but there was a recall on the fan, so that was fixed last year and we did not have to pay for the new fan, but did have to pay for labor. Guess what? It did not fix the trouble with the system faulting out due to the f09 error. I am getting quite frustrated with the fact that I am afraid to leave my home for more than two days in the winter and the company not owning up to the problem. If enough people are interested, I will contact a lawyer to see if they would be interested in taking our case and get the company to listen. Contact me at bttcafrontiernet.net if you are interested.

Date created: 2010-02-11 Name: Chris & Dennis Gonzales
Location: California

"Same problems with Muchkin boiler"
First year, we were very happy with our radiant system. But since then we have been out thousands of dollars getting this thing fixed every year: 12/07 blower unit goes out, 12/09 fuel valve fails (not covered by warranty), 2/10 leaking boiler so unit needs to be replaced. This will come with a new gas valve but they won't cover the 1st gas valve because parts come with a 1 yr warranty and we have had to pay labor each time as well as for this new install. I can't believe that customers have to pay for labor. What would you do if you took your car into the dealer only to be told you need a new transmission, the manufacture will pay for the tranny and labor is not covered which is usually double or triple the cost of the part? We are a motorcycle dealer. If we could prorate warranty like furnace manufactures & charge labor, we and the manufacturer would be rich - or at least better off. I am going to call the State Agency for consumer affairs, although I will not hold my breath about getting anything done. We have also considered going to small claims. I just can't believe that we have had to talk to 4 different people. Labor is not covered, and spent hours on the phone and still don't have any heat. Good thing we live in California instead of Northwest Missouri or Washington, DC with their major snow storms!

Date created: 2010-02-10 Name: Randy

"Mr."
Do not even consider buying a Munchkin boiler. Ours has never worked properly from day one. Our boiler shuts down flashing f09 daily. This has been going on for years. It started right after it was installed. We have had several people even the rep from the company out to work on it. They can not get it to work, and they will not take care of us and back their product! We are stuck with a $3000 unit that does not work.

Date created: 2010-02-09 Name: Jim K.

"My Munchkin"
I have had my Munchkin for 5 years. It was installed by a guy who did Munchkin and nothing else. I had my very first f9 problem today. I stumbled upon this thread while researching how to get my boiler running again, since I couldn't find the guy who did the original install. By consulting my owners manual and reading the info on this site, I had her up and running within 4 hours, including the 1.5 hour round trip to the HVAC supply store. Total cost was 20 bucks. So far, it's been a reliable unit.

Date created: 2010-02-03 Name: H. Patterson

"Munchkin MC80 propane fired boiler"
I heard before I purchased that it was critical to get a qualified installer and I did. Gas company wanted $12,000 to bring gas to my house because I'm the last house on the street. I went with propane. Works great. I got no-interest financing from Enerbank. Now my hot water and heating and the monthly payments on the purchase of the system combines to annual cost about half of my prior spend on old oil burner and electric hot water, so I'm a happy camper. The bad reviewers are people who failed to do their homework regarding installers. If you bought a bmw, would you let the kid next door work on it?

Date created: 2010-01-25 Name: C Timmins

"Munchkin Boiler # 199M ?"
Munchkin was praised highly by the heating contractor when we were switching over from oil heat to natural gas. What a big mistake! If the dealer loved the Munchkin, I can see why: He's working on it constantly. We, Munchkin owners are supporting the heating/plumbing services. No, they love Munchkin. Never again will we buy Munchkin. We have had error codes upon error codes, flame, panel, and now after less than four years, the cheap plastic fan blade is split and broken. Eleven hundred dollars later, we still have that piece of excrement in the basement, like a ticking time bomb, scheduled to misfire and self-destruct at regular intervals. Piece of crap!

Date created: 2010-01-25 Name: K Holz

"Munchkin 199M"
Installed boiler as new system heats radiant floor system and hot water coils on forced air system heats domestic hot water. Never had a single service issue with this unit. Unit runs all year. Maintenance is minimal. Set up for propane gas. This unit is very technically advanced and I would not recommend this type of system for the "set it and forget it" customer. If this unit is not installed correctly and maintained, it will cause you heartache. But properly installed and maintained, it will work very well.

<< Previous8910111213141516171819202122232425Next >>