Consumer Reviews of HTP boilers

Read more about HTP boilers

<< Previous789101112131415161718192021222324Next >>

Date created: 2010-02-15 Name: T. Smith

"Munchkin Boiler - trouble since the year it was installed"
I am seriously considering contacting a lawyer regarding a lawsuit against the company. We have had trouble with the Munchkin boiler we had installed since the first year we had it installed. We can't even take a vacation in the winter due to the fear of the furnace turning off due to the f09 error. We have had to call the repair people every year, with the last repair costing over 2,000. I have contacted htp and they told me they have had no problems but there was a recall on the fan, so that was fixed last year and we did not have to pay for the new fan, but did have to pay for labor. Guess what? It did not fix the trouble with the system faulting out due to the f09 error. I am getting quite frustrated with the fact that I am afraid to leave my home for more than two days in the winter and the company not owning up to the problem. If enough people are interested, I will contact a lawyer to see if they would be interested in taking our case and get the company to listen. Contact me at bttcafrontiernet.net if you are interested.

Date created: 2010-02-11 Name: Chris & Dennis Gonzales
Location: California

"Same problems with Muchkin boiler"
First year, we were very happy with our radiant system. But since then we have been out thousands of dollars getting this thing fixed every year: 12/07 blower unit goes out, 12/09 fuel valve fails (not covered by warranty), 2/10 leaking boiler so unit needs to be replaced. This will come with a new gas valve but they won't cover the 1st gas valve because parts come with a 1 yr warranty and we have had to pay labor each time as well as for this new install. I can't believe that customers have to pay for labor. What would you do if you took your car into the dealer only to be told you need a new transmission, the manufacture will pay for the tranny and labor is not covered which is usually double or triple the cost of the part? We are a motorcycle dealer. If we could prorate warranty like furnace manufactures & charge labor, we and the manufacturer would be rich - or at least better off. I am going to call the State Agency for consumer affairs, although I will not hold my breath about getting anything done. We have also considered going to small claims. I just can't believe that we have had to talk to 4 different people. Labor is not covered, and spent hours on the phone and still don't have any heat. Good thing we live in California instead of Northwest Missouri or Washington, DC with their major snow storms!

Date created: 2010-02-10 Name: Randy

"Mr."
Do not even consider buying a Munchkin boiler. Ours has never worked properly from day one. Our boiler shuts down flashing f09 daily. This has been going on for years. It started right after it was installed. We have had several people even the rep from the company out to work on it. They can not get it to work, and they will not take care of us and back their product! We are stuck with a $3000 unit that does not work.

Date created: 2010-02-09 Name: Jim K.

"My Munchkin"
I have had my Munchkin for 5 years. It was installed by a guy who did Munchkin and nothing else. I had my very first f9 problem today. I stumbled upon this thread while researching how to get my boiler running again, since I couldn't find the guy who did the original install. By consulting my owners manual and reading the info on this site, I had her up and running within 4 hours, including the 1.5 hour round trip to the HVAC supply store. Total cost was 20 bucks. So far, it's been a reliable unit.

Date created: 2010-02-03 Name: H. Patterson

"Munchkin MC80 propane fired boiler"
I heard before I purchased that it was critical to get a qualified installer and I did. Gas company wanted $12,000 to bring gas to my house because I'm the last house on the street. I went with propane. Works great. I got no-interest financing from Enerbank. Now my hot water and heating and the monthly payments on the purchase of the system combines to annual cost about half of my prior spend on old oil burner and electric hot water, so I'm a happy camper. The bad reviewers are people who failed to do their homework regarding installers. If you bought a bmw, would you let the kid next door work on it?

Date created: 2010-01-25 Name: K Holz

"Munchkin 199M"
Installed boiler as new system heats radiant floor system and hot water coils on forced air system heats domestic hot water. Never had a single service issue with this unit. Unit runs all year. Maintenance is minimal. Set up for propane gas. This unit is very technically advanced and I would not recommend this type of system for the "set it and forget it" customer. If this unit is not installed correctly and maintained, it will cause you heartache. But properly installed and maintained, it will work very well.

Date created: 2010-01-24 Name: Steve Whitbeck

"Profesional install"
Chris - You said that your boiler was professionally installed. But then you tell us to never use so and so plumbing co. I read all of the time about plumbers installing boilers. Nothing against plumbers (there are many that are qualified) but most that I have met could properly install a cast iron boiler but would properly screw up the installation of any high eff. boiler. High eff. boilers must be installed by someone that understands how they must be installed and with no cut corners. How is your boiler vented? Is the intake next to the exhaust pipe. I install the intake at least 18 inches above the intake or as much as 6 ft. downwind of the intake

Date created: 2010-01-23 Name: Peter

"Peter"
Every year, it is getting worse. You cannot trust it. It is unreliable. It stops and gives faults in winter when you need it. For the last one month, I am having these f9 and f10 faults every day. They can't fix. I am fed up to the extent that I will replace it this year.

Date created: 2010-01-15 Name: S Wocicki

"Bad, Bad Boiler"
My Munchkin 80m boiler is a piece of shit. I am a general contractor and will never recommend this to any client ever. A couple of years ago, I had to replace the controller, circuit board, fan motor (because someone at the factory didn't tighten all the bolts) and now, in 2010, the unit has no power at all. Heat Transfer Products won't get back to me and the contractor who installed it in 2000 had disappeared.

Date created: 2010-01-12 Name: Mike Pelar, Pelar Plumbing and Hydronic Heating

"Munchkin"
I have installed and serviced numerous Munchkin boilers of all models. Most of the service calls I respond on are a result of improper installation. One of the biggest problems I encounter is re-circ of flue gas into the boiler case, which destroys the swirl plate and fan wheel. It also causes major corrosion of the aluminum components inside the case. This is due mainly to improper installation of the intake/exhuast piping. Most of the f-09 problems I encounter are a result of improper combustion and gas pressure. These must be checked with the proper test equipment to ensure a proper rectification signal is sent to the board to keep the unit running. if your service tech replaced your board and you are still encountering F-09's then its not the boards fault, and you probably have a less than reputable munchkin service man. A factory trained tech can have most of the bugs out of a bad install in one or two trips. 80% of the boilers I encounter have never had a combustion analysis done on them. This is a must on any sealed combustion condensing appliance. Not just Munchkin. Improper piping and incorrect pump sizing is the cause of banging and clanging in the heat exchanger 90% of the time. And as for the loud buzzing noise that wakes you and your neighbors at 2 A.M., once again is a result of improper set up. I fix it all the time on units that have never had combustion tests done or done correctly.

<< Previous789101112131415161718192021222324Next >>