Consumer Reviews of Heat Transfer Products boilers

Read more about Heat Transfer Products boilers

<< Previous78910111213141516171819202122232425Next >>

Date created: 2010-07-07 Name: Brian

"Truth about condensing boilers"
All the reviews on this boiler are correct - slope unit so consate drains - have it serviced by a reputable and knowledgeable tech. Do not use part changers - All hi eff boilers and furnaces are an expensive addition to your home. Don't treat them like your 30 year old unit that was serviced every 4 or 5 years. They have more parts and they will give you better comfort but not if you ignore them. Just one other note, the dirt in the gas side on these boilers is the iron coming out of the stainless steel (try a magnet). If you ignore the service, don't clean it because you will have issues. Just like if you don't change your air filter on a car or furnace. Customers choose a contractor, not a contractor choosing a customer. So, do your research.

Date created: 2010-06-08 Name: G. Pelissier

"Munchkin Boiler"
My Munchkin has worked great. I had the fo9 occur when I first purchased 3 or 4 times. I undo two screws and pulled out the flame detector. I used steel wool to brush the unit. A rust looking film collects on the unit. The steel wool will wipe off and the unit has worked great. Preventive maintenance every 6 months. Takes about 10 minutes. Be sure to turn off power and unplug the spart plug.

Date created: 2010-05-14 Name: M. Korzan

"BOILING OVER !"
My wife and I built our home approx. 7yrs ago. We tried to use the best products available to us at the time of construction. So when it came time to do the heating, we went with a state of the art radiant heating system fired by a Munchkin boiler. Big mistake!!! We have had nothing but trouble with this thing from day one! We've had the installer out here constantly. He cleans it, changes parts, adjusts the flame all to no avail. I am so sick of this thing I would love to join others in a class action law suit just to get some satisfaction. So if anyone out there is a lawyer or knows how to go about a class action feel free to contact me at big_drag@roadrunner.com I am at my wits end and have had enough of this thing.

Date created: 2010-05-11 Name: V. Ceder

"The ultimate money pit"
My t-80 started giving us the f09 on Christmas 09. From that date till now-May 2010, I have put over $1600.00 into service calls and trial and error replacement parts. The boiler is maybe 5 years old. I have had the distributor and the district salesperson out together for over 2 hours to figure out what was wrong, and they left bewildered. I have experienced 3-F09's in the last 4 days, and am over the top with the next suggestion; we need to call an electrician. In my 25 years as a home owner, I have never experienced such problems.

Date created: 2010-04-06 Name: K. Driscoll

"Munchkin"
I've had my t-50 for over 6 years. It started giving me problems a couple of years ago. Occasionally, the dreaded f09, f10 I just went down and hit the reset button. Finally it was happening all the time, I called a plumber who was familiar with the boiler and had been to the classes, but he said he didn't like them. That should have been my clue. He cleaned it and replaced the flame rod sensor and when it continued to code out he was lost. I called the distributor who recommended another company. They came out and worked on it until they got it right. It was the burner gasket that needed replacing. This guy had a laptop and diagnosed the problem. The first question I asked him when I first called is "What's your opinion of these boilers"? He said he liked them. You've got to get an experienced tech out to work on the boiler. I'm not saying it isn't going to cost you some money, but they can be fixed.

Date created: 2010-03-27 Name: Andy W.
Location: Maine

"M140-lp"
In late 2005, we decided to build an addition to a very small 2 bedroom home. It was heated with a monitor from the time the home was built in 1996. After much consideration, I chose to install a Munchkin m140. I am not an HVAC contractor but got much advise from a qualified person. We reto'ed the old structure with base board heat and the new building is radiant. Some hard wood floor and a garage that is concrete. The system has 7 zones total one of wich is dhw 60gal superstor. we have almost 3k sqft of heated space and live in Maine. We use about 700-800 gallons of lp per year. We have had only 1 issue with this unit and it was caused by a poorly planed exhaust outlet (my fault) This was taken care of and it runs beautifully. I would and will highly recommend this unit to anyone. I find that many of the issue with these units are installation errors or poorly trained techs.

Date created: 2010-03-23 Name: Lawrence - LSAL Mechanical
Location: Toronto, Canada

"Munchkin boilers"
I am a licensed g1 in Toronto, Canada. I have worked on Munchkin, Evo, Lockinvar, etc. Most of the problems that occur with the Munchkin boilers are installation and lack of service. Gas pressure is critical. If there is not enough pressure to supply these boilers, they will lock up on f09 (flame failure). The condensate drains must be installed correctly with proper slope. If not, the condensate will fill up in the heat exchanger and will boil (flashing to steam) and cause the flame to lock out. The major problem I have come across is that the front of the boiler is lower than the back. The condensate drain connection is at the back, the boiler "must " slope down to the back for proper drainage. If there is an indirect tank installed, there could be a possibility that a hole will appear in the heat exchanger (usually 3 inches from the front just behind the strap) due to the condensate not draining quick enough. I have replaced 8 due to this. The older boilers had fan issues. The blades would break. Most times the vent termination would be the cause. The pump must pump into the boiler (even the indirect pump). Munchkin has many illustrations on how to do this, but many installers do not read. They install the boiler like the old cast boilers. This boiler can be a good boiler but it must be installed correctly. Piping must be done correctly due to the resistance of the heat exchanger. It "must" be cleaned and inspected every year. If this is not done, then the cost to repair will be high. You may write to me for any information in regards to the problems you may have with your boiler. Hopefully I can help.

Date created: 2010-03-08 Name: Steven Whitbeck/Beltline Heating

"Steven Whitbeck"
FYI - Munchkin, Knight, Trinity, Triangle tube, I can buy any boiler and don't need to have factory certification to buy. NO manufacturer requires training to buy their product. IF they did require training, then the buyer would just buy from the company that did not require training. I have taken the classes on many of these different boilers just to have the knowledge to properly install and service the different boilers. As far as warranty - Go out and buy a brand new BMW and then fill it up with crap gas and don't ever change the oil. When it pukes take it back - Do you expect them to repair it for free ??? YOUR boilers weren't properly installed. ALL of the high efficient boilers have some of the same issues. They all need yearly service. If more than that, you have an improperly installed or serviced boiler. If the service company can't find out what is wrong and just starts changing parts, you have the wrong servicer. If the plastic parts are going bad, the boiler is sucking up it's own exhaust gases. The one known problem with Munchkins is on the 2004 T50/T80 models. If you are losing the plastic parts, blower assembly or 925 controller - First check for separation of the intake and vent pipes. I want to see at least 18 inches of vertical separation. If this is proper, then fire up the boiler and have the service person test for CO between the heat exchanger and the back of the boiler. If the boiler is set up properly at high fire, there should be 100 PPM CO inside the vent pipe. I have seen as high as 60 PPM CO behind the heat exchanger. This is the only known problem due to improper design. Munchkin WILL replace these bad boilers.

Date created: 2010-03-08 Name: Gordie

"Review"
I am an HVAC contractor. I am a certified Munchkin installer/ tech. Over the last 6 years, my company has installed about 15 Munchkins. So far, we have had no major problems with the ones we have installed---We have been called on ones installed by others and like some of the above reviews--have had the manufactures Rep. to help with the troubleshooting . Usually, it's been a "dirt problem in the drain or the gas pressures were not set correctly. If the system has been installed and the set up procedures followed---The boiler should be fairly trouble free. Getting them serviced according to the maintenance & yearly service suggestions ---- would be a great help in stopping emergency problems. I wonder how many of the above "very unsatisfied" had the units serviced and drains flushed on a yearly schedule. I checked the oil in a friends car--it was coal black---had trouble dripping off the "Stick"----He couldn't remember ever getting the oil changed. Must be a human trait??

Date created: 2010-03-06 Name: D. Hill

"Improper installation"
In 2006, I had a local HVAC/plumbing company with a stellar reputation replace my ancient cast iron boiler (radiator system) in my 1896 home with a Munchkin boiler 199r. I had three bids and chose the local company because they seemed reputable and knowledgeable and are a family business that has been around for many years. They chose the Munchkin because they said it was the best for our application. They used our existing piping and radiators. It worked fine for three years. A year ago it started banging and malfunctioning. They came out several times and replaced pumps, valves, etc. and it finished out the rest of the heating season okay. In the fall, I had it cleaned and serviced. It worked okay until February of this year. Then the banging started again. The installer came out several times and replaced many parts. Then they couldn't even get it to start up. (Without heat in the dead of winter for over a week) I finally got the Munchkin factory rep to come and look at it with our installer. His diagnosis was that the boiler had failed because sediment from the old pipes and radiators had plugged up the heat exchanger and destroyed it. The factory rep created a plan for our home. The installer put in a new boiler with a filter to trap sediment and an external heat exchanger where any sediment that managed to escape the filter would settle out and not make it to the heat exchanger in the boiler. Even though the heat exchanger in the boiler is warrantied for 12 years, Munchkin would not honor the warranty because the boiler had not been installed correctly and it failed because of sediment and debris. The installer gave us a $765 credit. I received a bill yesterday for almost $7000. Add that to the $10,000 we paid for the original installation in 2006, which included a water heater and boring holes for ventilation through granite walls, and we have a very expensive heating system. I asked the factory representative when everything was finished and he had inspected it to make sure it met his plan and standards if it would now meet warranty if anything went wrong. He said if any sediment got in and ruined the heat exchanger, the warranty would not be honored. Not only do we have a very expensive system, even though it has been installed according to the factory rep's instructions, it will likely not be covered by warranty if anything goes wrong. As a consumer, I feel helpless. We now have heat. Hopefully, the boiler will be trouble free for many years with yearly servicing only. How does a consumer know what to do?

<< Previous78910111213141516171819202122232425Next >>