Consumer Reviews of HTP boilers

Read more about HTP boilers

<< Previous4567891011121314151617181920212223Next >>

Date created: 2010-12-08 Name: A. B. Murray
Location: Earlysville, VA

"Junk, Junk, Junk, Junk + 11"
I'm so sorry I went with this boiler. It has been nothing but a pain in the ass since installation in 2002. I've spent countless hundreds of dollars every season chasing stupid faults. I don't care how efficient the damn thing is, every penny of savings is more than spent paying the overpriced HVAC contractor to come out and throw a new part into it (usually on the second trip because nobody stocks parts for these things). Stay clear of Munchkin; nothing but junk!!!!!!!

Date created: 2010-12-08 Name: Bob shenzle

"Interesting"
This device saved us from nearly freezing, we had an old drum brand coal converted to oil steam boiler that had backfires on the burner. We finally replaced the unit. it worked fine, was actually 79.5% efficient, but the beckett burner would backfire and shut off every time it tried to start. (lock-outs were also a problem). so i went to a boiler supplier and got a good deal on a munchkin boiler, and installed it myself, I am quite handy. the thing worked fine, but the fan warning symbol (f14, I believe?) kept flashing. i went to see what the combustion air intake was like and was actually sucking like a vacuum. every body said it was impossible, but it happened. it was causing such a good draft that the PVC vent got too hot for operation and we had to have a steel pipe installed. it was excellent and reliable though, which is why I titled this "interesting". I do recommend it.

Date created: 2010-11-30 Name: J. Fontaine
Location: Southeast Massachusetts

"Noisy"
The pros: we have saved on our energy bill when we replaced an ancient furnace with a Munchkin to heat 4 units in our 3 story Victorian. The cons: In addition to two repairs, one over $500, our 4 year old munchkin is very loud. Even when they temperatures go up, it seems to run constantly. The noise is obnoxious. Can anyone recommend a solution to silence this beast?

Date created: 2010-11-23 Name: Cal Nelson
Location: Shorewood, MN

"Piece of crap"
I've had our 140 Munchkin boiler for 9 years and ever since it was installed, it has been nothing but trouble. I have to reset it at least 20-30 times a year. I have to have someone watch our house like a hawk if we go out of state (Minnesota) in the winter. It is NOT reliable. I have a service contract on it and our HVAC guy and I are on a first name basis and we know all about each others families and what each other are doing all the time...just from the service calls. We have no contact outside of the service calls...proof enough??

Date created: 2010-11-23 Name: M. Crary
Location: Hutchinson, MN

"No Flame Detected Again!"
When my wife and I had our basement remodeled in 2004, we had a local heating and plumbing company install a new Munchkin boiler. While we have enjoyed its quietness and efficiency, we have not enjoyed its random propensity for stopping. In fact, its not running as I write this review. For this reason, because this "problem" with the boiler happens several times a year, my wife and I are very reluctant to leave our home for any length of time during the heating season for fear the furnace will stop running while we are away. Furthermore, the service calls to get it gong again are quite expensive. In all good conscience, we can not recommend this boiler at all!

Date created: 2010-11-20 Name: Erv Janzen
Location: Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada

"Not overally impressed"
We built our new house in 2003 and were told by our mechanical contractor that they would like to try a new boiler line in our place. This boiler was the Munchkin 80M. Well in the first heating season we had nothing but grief and more grief. We had the professionals in to set up the proper air and gas pressure, theyu changed the regulators, I replaced all the parts that for the F09 fault and it still continued. Finally some one suggested replacing the burner gasket and that did it. This was a brand new machine and the burner gasket was gone within the first couple of months? So ok this unit now wasa pretty good till last heating season and our fan motor went. Again we got the parts and replaced it all. It worked good last heating season, but this heating season, all of a sudden my circulating pump runs 24 / 7'sa unless I go manually shut it off. So I am wondering if there is anyone that is having that kind of a problem and what the fix might be. Due to all the problems I have had with this boiler, I would not recommend it to any consumer.

Date created: 2010-11-19 Name: L. Mower
Location: Bonney Lake, WA

"Munchkin high efficiency heater with 925 controller"
Build new home had boiler installed 3 years ago heater stopped working called the company that istalled the unit they told us they never seen one in such bad shape due to corrosion it is still under warranty but will cost us $1700 to put in the new one. We are being charge not only for labor but also to shipped the damaged one back to the company think this is rediculous.

Date created: 2010-11-14 Name: MIKE
Location: milwaukee

"Service manager"
This unit is awesome. My company installs 100s of these per year. The munchkin needs to be properly setup, Co levels on low fire and high fire must be properly set as well as one circulation pump and one feed pump. YES 2 PUMPS AND 100PPM ON HIGH FIRE FOR CO OR YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS. The biggest and ONLY PROBLEM WE SEE ON THESE IS NOT BEING PROPERLY INSTALLED OR ZERO MAINTENANCE.

Date created: 2010-11-05 Name: Homer
Location: Nevada

"Reputable Munchkin Installer"
Jay Plesset-- The reason that Heat Transfer doesn't allow the fixing of the electronics is that the liability problem is enormous. The blower is most likely a Variable Frequency Drive motor. It's operation is complex, controlled by the computer. It is just not fixable and because it is highly electronic with rare earth magnets and made in Germany (dollar exchange rate with the Euro etc.) it is expensive. F14=Fan running to fast. Check the molex plugs for good contact on the blower and computer. Clean contacts with a good quality electronic contact cleaner that is safe for circuit boards (plastics). If still over reving, replace blower. Hopefully it is not the computer. If you need to replace the blower, take the cover off the old one and inspect the housing and the impeller for corrosion or damage. If there is damage, change the exhaust and air intake loc- ations. Put 4 to 5 feet between them to elim- inate exhaust re- circulation through the boiler. Heat Transfer's older instruction on venting created a lot of exhaust recirculation. Most all installers, myself included, followed those instructions because deviating from those instructions may void the warranty and incur liability. Those venting instructions have now changed. A Big No, on concentric venting(my opinion).

Date created: 2010-10-29 Name: Homer
Location: Nevada

"Reputable Munchkin Installer"
Most of the problems that I have come across are installation problems. It takes training to install a high efficiency boiler. They don't install like the old cast iron boilers and if installed like that, the installation will fail. Make sure that your installer know what he is doing. In other words a hydronic specialist, not a plumber. Although, some plumber know. F09 fault code! F09=flame failure. check to see that you have gas with a manometer. Too low a pressure will cause the flame to fail, too high will damage the gas valve. Test the gas valve with the manometer, is the valve drawing an negative pressure? Make sure that the boiler is at least 10' from the gas meter and that the pipe is at least 3/4" in diameter. The Munchkin draws a vacuum against the gas line and must have a full volume of gas to ignite. No flex lines less than 3/4" internal diameter. Is the gas piping sized correctly for capacity from the meter? Is the ignitor sparking or the hot surface ignitor glowing? The gap on the spark ignitor is 1/4"? F09 faults are commonly an air/ gas mixture problem. You need a combustion analyzer to set it. Really Important!!! Make sure that the condensate is draining from the boiler. Moisture in the combustion chamber can disrupt the ignition. Is the flue and fresh air intake separated enough that combustion gases aren't pulled back into the air intake. Make sure that the rectification current is as close to 4.1 microamps as possible. If not clean the flame rod and check that is in the fame when the Munchkin is running. A floating rectification current around 2.0-2.9 indicates that the burner is not properly grounded to the boiler compartment. 4 screws fasten the burner to the boiler plate. These can loosen causing a floating rectification current. Lastly, make sure that the Molex plugs on the computer are making good contact. I have actually had to pull the metal jacks out and tin them with solder. (rare) Most of this is technical that should be left to the Installer.

<< Previous4567891011121314151617181920212223Next >>