Consumer Reviews of HTP boilers

<< Previous345678910111213141516171819202122Next >>

Date created: 2011-01-10 Name: Steve - BELTLINE HEATING
Location: Grand Rapids Mi

"Last post"
This is another example of WHY YOU DON'T buy an expensive high end boiler from the guy at ACE HARDWARE......................................... And she wants to sue MUNCHKIN................ These boilers MUST be installed by someone that KNOWS what they are doing................... Some of thse posts are just rediculous............... Do YOU just post or do you read what I and others have written to try and solve your problems.

Date created: 2011-01-10 Name: Lydia Hulette Munchkin_class_action at yahoo.
Location: Sturgeon Lake Mn.

"Paid $4,800.00 to freeze to death in my own home."
Munchkin_class_action at yahoo <~~ lets talk. I have had nothing but problems with this Munchkin Contender. I suspect it was so named by the fact that it "munches" through double the propane as my last cast iron boiler and needs "constant tending" The first winter it stopped working every 2 to 3 nights. The installer Troy at ACE HARDWARE, MOOSE LAKE MN. Refused to come and work on it. He suggested I buy a small propane heater and place it in the room with the unit. I refused because of fire hazard. He then said I needed an electric space heater for it just to get through that winter. He ran an illegal extension cord through my wall to run an electric heater on the unit. Not only was my propane use double My electric bill is now $300 permonth. In the summer, he installed an external base board heater using the hot water from the system to keep it from freezing and shutting down. It did in fact keep it from shutting down due to cold temp. It ran until it over heated, spewed coolant and water, THEN IT SHUT ITS SELF DOWN. Never warming my home. That happened at 2 AM. I built a fire in my wood stove and kindly waited until 8am to call Troy from Ace Hardware at his home. He was angry that I woke him up on a sunday morning at 8AM. He refused to come and hung up on me. I have been further insulted by the run around I have been given by "Heat transfer system" I am now sitting in my home with no idea how I am going to keep from freezing to death in this -15 temp. No help from the company that sold me the unit and no help from the manufacturer. DON'T BUY A MUNCHKIN!

Date created: 2011-01-09 Name: Steve - BELTLINE HEATING
Location: Gra

"Warrranty"
ADAM and others -- it is an industry standard that ALL replacement parts have a ONE YEAR warranty on the part. Labor is another isue. That is up to the installing company ( I give one year on both.) AGAIN - IF these boilers are installed properly they don't give you any problems. IF you have to replace the blower frequently then you have reversion. The easiest test for reversion is to look at the aluminum parts inside the boiler jacket. Are they shiney as new or are they chaulky??? I have many boilers installed that are 8 years old still running on the same blower and the parts are all shiney as new.

Date created: 2011-01-08 Name: adrian davies
Location: Richmond, Va

"Hi Tech gone mad"
A couple of years ago we were refurbishing our bathroom, and wanted to use a space occupied by the flue from the gas furnace and gas water heater. Since the Munchkin used a plastic flue pipe running horizontally outside the house, and also heats the hot water, we installed it to free up the space in the bathroom. That was the only reason, there had never been a problem with the original furnace even though it was the original, almost 60 years old. Incidenatlly, the old water heater did not need electric power to function, and thus worked fine during outages. The Munchkin worked fine for a couple of years but has now proven temperamental. F14 code now pops up with monotonous regularity, and although it is resettable and the furnace will then run until the next time, it means that we do not dare to leave the house in winter during an exceptionally cold period. I do not believe that there is an actual fault because the furnace does run ok for a couple of days at a time. Of course, the warranty is now expired. I am hoping that the problem will get worse because then the cause may become apparent. So.... we have traded in a reliable heating system for an unreliable one, and paid several thousand to do it. We now do not have hot water during outages. Furthermore, if any of you out there are thinking of putting in this system for any reason, including "saving the planet" you had better also count on living for about 400 years because you will need that long to recoup the savings necessary to cover the initial cost. Also it is noticeably less effective than the original. It will however, create a few jobs in the service sector.

Date created: 2011-01-03 Name: C Isom
Location: Superior, NE

"Warranty on Munchkin"
Munchkin has a limited warranty. We are dealing with boilers that are 5 years old. One of the boilers is leaking in the coil area. When contacted, Munchkin told our rep that we could send it in and they would go through it to determine if it was warranty. Or you can pay half and Munchkin will pay the other half. Is that how warranties work? The boilers were installed according to their guidelines, and they do not want to cover the warranty.

Date created: 2011-01-02 Name: PH
Location: Lexington, MA

"Very unreliable, do not recommend to anyone."
I had the Munchkin installed 3 years ago, except for the first year, I have had number of service calls. The unit is so unreliable that we are constantly worried when we are traveling. If you want some peace of mind, don't put a dime on it.

Date created: 2010-12-30 Name: Tom Gross
Location: Ponoka Alberta Canada

"Problems with fan motors"
I service 9 Munckin boilers The problems with the fan motors is the plastic fins in the fan housing come apart. I have found that it is not the boiler it is the installation manual. In the manual it tell you that the in take and the exuast must be no farther apart then 18 inch well that is wrong cause on a cold winter night with a down pressure the exaust want to hang around and the intake sucks it back in to the fan wrecking the plastic fan. I have just stuck a 4 foot piece of 3 inch PVC on to the intake so it suck in clean air. Problem solved

Date created: 2010-12-28 Name: Adam
Location: Milwaukee

The blower assemblies are junk. We're on our 3rd one on a boiler installed in 2002 and our 2nd in the last 2 years. It sure is convenient that they have a 3 year warranty on new blowers but only a 90 day warranty on replacements. I would never buy a Munchkin again.

Date created: 2010-12-19 Name: Steve - BELTLINE HEATING
Location: Grand Rapids MI

"Munchkin problems"
If you are having constant problems with any high eff. boiler then it is not installed properly. They also require yearly maintenance. The last persons post proves my point. Why did they have to turn the gas off to the house to service the boiler? And after having turned the gas off and back on why didn't they light all of the pilots. Sign of a bad service company. I have 9 year old Munchkin's that I service yearly and only yearly. I also pick up new customers every year that others have installed and have customers that are very upset with the product untill they have me do the repairs needed. Most of the problems with Munchkins have been related to improper venting. You can't go by the install manual. The intake MUST be seperated vertically by at least 18 inches. If the vent/intake are near an inside corner or alcove they need to have at least 3 ft of seperation. If you don't believe me stand downwind of your vent pipes on days with different wind conditions and ss how much exhaust gets sucked back in. IF the alluminum parts inside your boiler look chalky your boiler IS sucking up exhauxt gasses. The vent from your power vented water heater and your drier getting too close is also bad. When the boiler sucks up it's own exhaust it makes the condensate become very accidic and this can eat up the stainless steel that the boiler is made of. The exhaust gas vapors contain a lot of water vapor and acid. This will also attack the ignition control. Call the local distributor that sells Munchkin and see who they recommend. ( I am someone they reccomend in west Michigan.)

Date created: 2010-12-12 Name: K Lohr
Location: iowa

"Freezing and broke"
Unbelievsble number of problems, 58 degrees tonight in our house. 7 year old munchkin.Service guys have been here so much they know where we keep the key and feed the dog. We were in need of putting our house on the market due to large medical bills/cobra for our son. Our realator rec replacing the octopus boiler, that always worked since 1923! Splurged on the munchkin, so disappointing. After the Fri service call the gas on all the pilots on the stove and oven were out 5 hours.Lots of gas floating around when I got home. Help, any suggestions, out of cash. KL

<< Previous345678910111213141516171819202122Next >>