Consumer Reviews of HTP boilers

<< Previous345678910111213141516171819202122Next >>

Date created: 2011-01-18 Name: Homer
Location: Nevada

"Reputable Installer"
CLEANING THE ELECTRODES--I use a Rotary Dremel like tool with a stainless steel wire wheel to clean the spark and rectifying electrode when I do servicing. This should be done on a yearly basis. These tools come from Harbor Freight and they are on the internet. Use only stainless steel wire brushes to clean them for best results. The stainless steel brushes are Item # 66129. DO NOT USE plumbers emery cloth or tape to clean them as they leave a deposit on the electrodes. I have used silicon carbide wet and dry sandpaper, tho. Only use stainless steel brushes with RydLyme or Simple Green lime remover to clean the heat exchanger. These are good tips. Get rid of those pesky F09s. (check the wiring harness, too.)

Date created: 2011-01-18 Name: R. Dunham
Location: Bennet, NE

"T-90 works flawlessly"
I installed our Munchkin three years ago (following the instructions very carefully) and found it to be a flawless performer. I have done the annual maintenance on it myself (cleaning the coil of lime deposits - Rydlyme works best, but CLR also works). I could not be happier with its performance. Originally, I had one of our local HVAC companies come out and adjust the gas valve since we converted it from natural gas to L.P., and it has been saving us money on our heating bills since. We are using this to run our Hydronic Radiant in-floor heating system and our heating bills are 50% lower than our neighbors.

Date created: 2011-01-18 Name: Homer
Location: Nevada

"Reputable Installer"
Dean of Saratoga Springs, NY--A very astute observation which should be helpful to others. Munchkin says that the gap should be 1/4", about 2 quarter placed together. My first experience with this was with a Heat-n-Glo fireplace. the electrode gap was about 1/8" and the spark would not ignite the gas. I expanded the electrode to about 1/4" and it worked like a charm. Why is this you ask? One would think that 1/8" gap would be easier for a spark to jump across than a wider gap and that's true. What happens is this. Electrical energy is built up in the ignition coil until it reaches a level where it can jump the gap. If the gap is at 1/8" the spark can jump the distance at a much lower voltage, let's say 8,000 volts. When the gap is increased to 1/4" the voltage will build up in the coil to 16,000 volts before it jumps the gap. A much hotter spark. If the gap is too wide, the energy developed in the coil cannot reach the voltage necessary to jump the gap and the field in the coil collapses which can destroy the insulation in the coil. Good Post, Dean.

Date created: 2011-01-17 Name: Lawrence
Location: Markham, Ontario ,Canada

"90 % of the errors are due to installation"
I wrote a review a while back on Munchkin. The biggest problem for the boilers are as follows. 1.) Vent too long,vent termination too close,or in a corner. 2.)Condensate drain not properly sloped or sized(1/2 inch ID will not work and plug up quickly due to debris from heat exchanger.I use 3/4 ID and a neutralizer(remember the condensate is acidic and will eat copper, cast drain pipe.) I recommend these boilers should be installed about 4 inches off the ground for better drainage. 3.)Gas piping and gas pressure.Ensure you design the gas pipe to no more than 1/2" pressure drop on natural gas and you will be safe. 4.) Hydronic piping must be done properly. Reverse return dose not work properly and over heats the boiler. Remember to pump(pump sizing is important) into the highest head(the boiler or/and heat exchangers). A Combustion analyzer must be used to ensure proper set up. NO!! the boiler display will not show you the CO AND CO2 READINGS . If you do not own an analyzer , please call a qualified technician that does. If you are willing to pay for my plane ticket and hotel room , food etc . I will be more than happy to help, but keep in mind it is a busy season . Good Luck !!

Date created: 2011-01-17 Name: Steve - BELTLINE HEATING

"Mike Novaguy"
No I don't make a ton fixing Munchkin's ..... I make good honest money fixing other unqualified installers screw up's. ...................... Yes I install Munchkin's and don't have any problems with the ones I have installed and also don't have any problems with the ones others have installed that I have reinstalled. Again LYDIA ---- YOU had a guy from a HARDWARE STORE INSTALL YOUR BOILER.

Date created: 2011-01-17 Name: Dean
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY

"F09 error"
I noticed many owners experiencing an F09 error. (no flame detected). This can occure for several reasons, but I thought I'd share my experience. I worked on a propane fed Munchkin boiler that was returning an F09 error. After checking for proper cycling of the unit and getting normal results; without getting ignition in the flamebox, I pulled out the electrode and checked for spark. A spark was present as a solid blue streak between the electrode tips. I started to carefully adjust the electrode closer and then further apart. In my situation, I found the unbroken blue arc did not produce enough heat to ignite the propane in the flame box. It was only after inceasing the distance between the electrode tips that I was able to get a broken arc of blue with white sparks at each end of the electrode tip. This arc would litterally dance around on the electrode tips. This adjustment produced enough heat to ignite the propane and the unit began to function normally. Please note that the electrode material is hardened and will break easily, Also, too much pressure on the ceramic can break the insulator creating even more problems. So for all you F09'ers out there, go out and purchase a new electrode/with gasket, and then check it against the old one. (about 50 bucks). Please keep in mind that there are several serious factors that can produce a non-ignition situation and the built-in safe guards of the unit are there for a reason. Lets remember that we are dealing with explosive gases that can turn your home <and those in it> into bits and pieces in an instant. So, sleep well at night, I advise having a professional check out your unit. But if they're scratching their head, or even if they aren't, it doesn't hurt to mention this piece of information before you experience multiple service calls, headaches (and invoices) for a relativly simple fix.

Date created: 2011-01-17 Name: M. Russell
Location: Bridgeport, CT

"I like my Munchkin"
I have had my munchkin for 3+ years and it has been a perfect performer.

Date created: 2011-01-17 Name: L Davis
Location: Hansville,WA

"Home owner"
The Munchkin was installed in my new house in 2004 and has constantly been down ever since. When it quits the hot water heater goes out also. The new Munchkin rep advises me to buy a new improved boiler at my expense of course. DO NOT CONSIDER THIS HEATING SYSTEM

Date created: 2011-01-16 Name: Steve
Location: Jamestown, NY

"Homeowner"
Citadel Heating in Jamestown, NY installed a 140 gas unit. Found out later they had NO idea how to set it up or service it. F09 error within 3 months, was told I needed a larger gas line. Did that, no change. Then they said the flue was bad (they installed it). After 9 house calls, they gave up trying to fix it. Citadel claimed it was operator error because I had been cleaning the spark electrode, which is the only way to get it running again. Called Caseys Plumbing and Heating in Jamestown, NY. They came out, saw the brand, HVAC guy said he needed to get a tool from his truck and he left. Never saw him again. Called the owner who told me they can't fix Munchkins. After reading many posts, I cleaned the "coffee grounds" out and have been replacing the sparker and rectifier every year. Has been working ok with my servicing. Realize this, very few (at least in Western, NY) can or will service the Munchkin. They sell them but can't service them. DO NOT BUY ONE.

Date created: 2011-01-11 Name: Lydia Hulette
Location: Sturgeon Lake, MN

"Additional info"
Did I mention that my last boiler used around/average of 90 gallons of propane per month. This munchkin us using 200 gallons per month, Plus the added electric.

<< Previous345678910111213141516171819202122Next >>