Consumer Reviews of Crown boilers

Read more about Crown boilers

Date created: 2016-02-24 Name: Will Pseudonym
Location: Westwood, MA

"Five years"
Don't count on your Crown to last more than 5 years. The cast iron boiler cracks. When it starts to refill more than once a week, you know you will have to replace it.

Date created: 2016-02-19 Name: Fernando Barreiros
Location: Massachusetts

"Premature expensive failure"
Dear FurnaceCompare, Installation of BWC Crown boiler series high efficiency gas fired hot water direct vent condensing model BWC070. In 2012 purchased a single family home as is in a nice neighborhood. The boiler needed replacing so on the advice of a plumber that I occasionally used I went with his recommendation. This unit worked very well during 2012/13 and 2013/14 winters for a total of about 10 month working duration. Despite brutal winters here in New England the heating bills were very reasonable and the in-house comfort was excellent. This past October 2015 the unit failed to work when the heat was turned on! The error codes indicated several problems: waiting for aps to close, blockage in vent intake, blocked condensing drain and a few others. Plus a couple encrypted codes mhs/h:137 and h:67j None of which turned out to be the problem. Called the same plumber if they could check it out. They did show up but I knew immediately I was in trouble! They were fumbling through the operations manual pretty much as I did try to decipher the codes. Several hours later they called me to let me know the blower motor was shot and that it was a high ticket item but they so happen to have one in stock! Interesting! I asked them if it was still under a warranty and they were not certain but were calling Crown to find out. They replaced the defective part and unit has been working for the past two months off and on, not really cold yet. Come to find out these boilers only come with a one-year warranty from the day of installation. The plumber called Crown and they would not budge, so I had to eat $550 for a motor and $380 for labor, ouch! Called Crown myself and asked to speak to a customer service rep and Mr. *********** came on. I tried to explain the situation and was cut off by him asking when the unit had been installed. I told him the fall of 2012 and was immediately told nothing they would do, it was out of the one year warranty. I asked several questions pertaining to the unit which he would not answer, such as blower failure rate and technical sort of stuff. Getting nowhere I ask for his manager. No, he was the top guy and there was nothing he could do. This round and round lasted for about 45 minutes. Finally I asked for the general manager. No, not available! Seeing that I was not about to give up Mr. *********** hung up on me. Called right back and spoke to the secretary and asked to be connected with the general manager, Mr. Don Schwing. After half minute or so of silence I was told he was busy but would call me back! Its been about six weeks and not a ring. Couple of things: One, although this unit operated to specifications before the catastrophic failure I suspect it is not durable and will be problematic in the future! Iím hoping not. Two, my perceived perception of Crown customer support was that I was a sucker, fell for the advise, purchased the unit and now Iím stuck with it and whatever premature failures occur Crown is not responsible for. I believe this is the case because when I first called they never asked me my name, the unit type, serial number or what the issue was. The main concern for Crown was to verify and confirm the unit was more than twelve months old, at which point nothing else mattered. Up to this event I was under the impression that Crown was a reputable company that stood behind its product, unfortunately for me , I found out this is not the case at all. Questions to FurnaceCompare advisory: Before I post my complaint do you think I have any recourse on this matter? Sincerely and thanks in advance Fernando Barreiros

Date created: 2016-01-17 Name: Donald Steele
Location: Mansfield, MA

"Only 9 years"
When we got it it we were told it is warranted for 10 years. The plumber who installed it came when it stopped working at 9 1/2 years and told us that there is a crack above the waterline and that Crown would not waranty it. He also said that this is a consistent problem with Crown. So we need a new boiler. In my opinion this should have lasted a lot longer than 9 and a half years since replacement is about 9 thousand. When it worked it worked well but $900 a year on top of the cost of gas is pretty ridiculous.

Date created: 2016-01-07 Location: LA

"water tube boiler"
I owned this boiler for 6 years. I like the fast heating of water. I dislike the frequent damage of the coil. Yes I had to repair it after 4 years; the coil inside the boiler was damaged and I had to repair it. Yes I will buy the same brand because it did not need repair for 4 years. I will recommend that a friend buy the same brand.

Date created: 2015-12-11 Location: Chicago, IL

"The lazy boiler"
I have owned the boiler for 5 years. I like that the boiler does its main function: provide hot water. It's a nice feeling to start up the bath after a cold winter day in Chicago. What I don't like about it however is that one the first person who takes a shower will get hot water. After only 2 years, I had to replace the radiator part of the boiler. Since it was a very costly fix I was very displeased. The next person will get cold water. I would never buy the same brand again because it works very poorly. This boiler has caused me nothing, but problems. I would definitely not recommend this boiler to a friend, and I would advise them to look into other brands. It has been a waste of my money, and now I know in the future I will have to be in the market for a new boiler.

Date created: 2015-12-05 Name: Derek
Location: York, ME

"No complaints"
This is our 12th year with a Crown boiler in our home and has been nothing short of perfect. We only have to clean out the system every two years because it clean it burns so efficiently. I've done nothing besides routine maintenance. I leave our home at 60 degrees in the Northeast and only go through two and a half tank of oil per year.

Date created: 2015-11-09 Location: Clinton Township, MI

"New boiler placement."
Currently I have owned this boiler for a month. We replaced it shortly before it got cold and what a difference! Before, I had a 30 year old boiler that wasn't efficient anymore so we had to replace it and quick before winter time! I really like the new boiler for how quiet it is and how it will manually shut off. All around it's so energy efficient. I do dislike how heavy it was! Heavier than the 30 year old boiler I previously had! Other than that I honestly can't say anything against it and would highly recommend the brand to anyone that is looking for a new boiler.

Date created: 2015-10-29 Location: Chicago, Il

"Furnace warms small home quickly and efficiently."
My girlfriend and I currently rent a small home while we look for a suitable home to purchase. Our landlords recently invested in a Crown boiler for this home. The home is under 1000 square feet. This heater works amazingly! We can leave it off while we are gone and when we get home we turn it back on. The house warms in mere minutes! It never runs for very long either. Only a few minutes and it has done its job of keeping up the temperature in the house. The visual appearance of it is not too bad either, it's very sleek and modern looking. I would highly recommend this type of boiler to anyone with the means to purchase one. We have been in the home for 2 years now, and this furnace has been here for even longer and we have never once had any kind of failure or issue. We love it and will definitely be looking to purchase one of our own when we get our own house.

Date created: 2015-10-05 Location: Fort thomas, ky

"a pleasant surprise"
I have owned my boiler for a little more than a year, I bought it as a replacement for an old one that broke. I did not have a lot of money at the time, so I seriously bought this one because of the price. But I am really glad, and surprised that it has not broken. I really bought it because it is something I cannot live without, but I was not expecting a lot from it based on the price and other information that I read online. Now I cannot stop talking about it, I recommend the brand to everyone. Also, it does have an Energy Star rating which helps with the electric consumption; I believe it is always good to buy efficient appliances, for they generate most of the monthly costs. I have not had to repair this at all during the time I have owned it, and so far it has been acting great, so I do not think that it would need any work anytime soon.

Date created: 2015-09-23 Location: Ocala, FL

"Great boiler for the money"
The Crown boiler BWF229EN model has met all of my medium-sized family's needs. The 6 of us (3 adults, 3 kids) always have hot water, even with the marathon of use that is our evenings, which include 6 showers and a dishwasher going. It was cheaper than other models but no shortage of quality came with it not being the most expensive. We have had it over a year now with no complaints, it's highly suggested to anyone who's asked. We will be repeat customers if we ever move again.