Consumer Reviews of Crown boilers

Read more about Crown boilers

Date created: 2018-09-25 Name: Fernando Martins Barreiros
Location: Massachusetts

"Update to my BWC series review"
This is my second review on the is unit and I'm at the end of the rope. This unit is not reliable, I have to replace it. Beginning of last year the unit started to not fire up when heat was called. No error codes, pilot indicator on, pumps running, stone cold! A complete power shut down for a few minutes was enough for the unit to recover and operate sometimes for several weeks before happening again. Limped along all of this last winter. For a year now the installer, a&t plumbing out New Bedford, MA, Has tried to get a company rep or someone with more knowledge than they have about this unit to inspect it and resolve the issues. Finally, someone showed up unannounced while I was about an hour drive away from the unit. Unfortunately, nothing happened that day. Since then nothing, except excuses. I'm now in the process of getting new quotes to replace it. I no longer trust the unit, nor the plumber and most of all not Crown/Velocity or whatever name you hide behind now.

Date created: 2018-03-26 Name: L Sundberg
Location: Hamburg, PA

"BWC Series-120 -very worthless"
Had a Crown bwc 120 gas boiler installed 5 years ago. Have had to replace the motor each year. Five winters = five failed motors. Our plumber installed the same boiler in his house at the same time. After he had 4 failed motors in 4 winters he has replaced his with another boiler. We expect to do the same before the start of next winter. What seems to me as a potential big contributor to the motor failure problem is, per installation instructions, only about 18" from the air intake. This results in a tremendous amount of moisture coming into the furnace box. But, whatever the cause, this is a completely unreliable boiler
Date created: 2017-12-11 Name: Tracy Fleming
Location: New Jersey

"Crooks - take your money with being held accountable"
Purchased a Crown Boiler 4 years ago and it suddenly stopped working. The hvac guys found that it was leaking and that it was cracked on the inside. They said that it should never happened and was a manufacturer defect. We called the Crown Boiler Company warranty department and they said in order to fight it, we would need to mail the cracked block into them, and then they would work with the distributor and issue a credit to them. The distributor would then decide on what we would get, if anything. There was no cash back option. So basically, in December Crown Boiler Company is telling us to pay about $200 to mail their product back and to go without heat until this is resolved - which they said it most likely wonít be. Seems to me that this is all a ploy to not have to refund for their faulty product. I am currently having the boiler replaced with a much better brand.
Date created: 2017-10-17 Name: Dave
Location: Cambridge, MD

"Great Product."
I purchased the twz200 Crown Boiler in 2003 and did not install it until some time in 2004. I have experience with installing boilers and installed it myself. It is a great boiler and never had any problem with it. I also installed a brand new oil tank and fuel line (I prefer single fuel line) with it so I would have no gunk/sludge going into a new boiler. I am very pleased with it and would purchase other Crown products. That's 13 years with only yearly maintenance of oil filters and nozzles which I do myself in about 1/2 hour or less.
Date created: 2017-02-13 Name: Michelle Lambert
Location: Athol, MA

"Worst boiler and customer service EVER!"
We bought our boiler back in 2012 and purchased an extended warranty through the dealer. The top casting of our boiler has cracked and they denied the warranty claim. Their reasoning was that we overfilled the boiler. Well, we have a sight glass and it's never been filled over the fill line so we questioned them. The customer service rep had no idea how the boiler even worked but still claimed we had overfilled the boiler. So now we are out $2500 and have to figure out how to either fix it or replace it in the middle of the winter. We've gone through a tank of oil in less than 2 months because of this issue. I would never buy a Crown boiler again.
Date created: 2016-02-24 Name: Will Pseudonym
Location: Westwood, MA

"Five years"
Don't count on your Crown to last more than 5 years. The cast iron boiler cracks. When it starts to refill more than once a week, you know you will have to replace it.
Date created: 2016-02-19 Name: Fernando Barreiros
Location: Massachusetts

"Premature expensive failure"
Dear FurnaceCompare, Installation of BWC Crown boiler series high efficiency gas fired hot water direct vent condensing model BWC070. In 2012 purchased a single family home as is in a nice neighborhood. The boiler needed replacing so on the advice of a plumber that I occasionally used I went with his recommendation. This unit worked very well during 2012/13 and 2013/14 winters for a total of about 10 month working duration. Despite brutal winters here in New England the heating bills were very reasonable and the in-house comfort was excellent. This past October 2015 the unit failed to work when the heat was turned on! The error codes indicated several problems: waiting for aps to close, blockage in vent intake, blocked condensing drain and a few others. Plus a couple encrypted codes mhs/h:137 and h:67j None of which turned out to be the problem. Called the same plumber if they could check it out. They did show up but I knew immediately I was in trouble! They were fumbling through the operations manual pretty much as I did try to decipher the codes. Several hours later they called me to let me know the blower motor was shot and that it was a high ticket item but they so happen to have one in stock! Interesting! I asked them if it was still under a warranty and they were not certain but were calling Crown to find out. They replaced the defective part and unit has been working for the past two months off and on, not really cold yet. Come to find out these boilers only come with a one-year warranty from the day of installation. The plumber called Crown and they would not budge, so I had to eat $550 for a motor and $380 for labor, ouch! Called Crown myself and asked to speak to a customer service rep and Mr. *********** came on. I tried to explain the situation and was cut off by him asking when the unit had been installed. I told him the fall of 2012 and was immediately told nothing they would do, it was out of the one year warranty. I asked several questions pertaining to the unit which he would not answer, such as blower failure rate and technical sort of stuff. Getting nowhere I ask for his manager. No, he was the top guy and there was nothing he could do. This round and round lasted for about 45 minutes. Finally I asked for the general manager. No, not available! Seeing that I was not about to give up Mr. *********** hung up on me. Called right back and spoke to the secretary and asked to be connected with the general manager, Mr. Don Schwing. After half minute or so of silence I was told he was busy but would call me back! Its been about six weeks and not a ring. Couple of things: One, although this unit operated to specifications before the catastrophic failure I suspect it is not durable and will be problematic in the future! Iím hoping not. Two, my perceived perception of Crown customer support was that I was a sucker, fell for the advise, purchased the unit and now Iím stuck with it and whatever premature failures occur Crown is not responsible for. I believe this is the case because when I first called they never asked me my name, the unit type, serial number or what the issue was. The main concern for Crown was to verify and confirm the unit was more than twelve months old, at which point nothing else mattered. Up to this event I was under the impression that Crown was a reputable company that stood behind its product, unfortunately for me , I found out this is not the case at all. Questions to FurnaceCompare advisory: Before I post my complaint do you think I have any recourse on this matter? Sincerely and thanks in advance Fernando Barreiros
Date created: 2016-01-17 Name: Donald Steele
Location: Mansfield, MA

"Only 9 years"
When we got it it we were told it is warranted for 10 years. The plumber who installed it came when it stopped working at 9 1/2 years and told us that there is a crack above the waterline and that Crown would not waranty it. He also said that this is a consistent problem with Crown. So we need a new boiler. In my opinion this should have lasted a lot longer than 9 and a half years since replacement is about 9 thousand. When it worked it worked well but $900 a year on top of the cost of gas is pretty ridiculous.
Date created: 2016-01-07 Location: LA

"water tube boiler"
I owned this boiler for 6 years. I like the fast heating of water. I dislike the frequent damage of the coil. Yes I had to repair it after 4 years; the coil inside the boiler was damaged and I had to repair it. Yes I will buy the same brand because it did not need repair for 4 years. I will recommend that a friend buy the same brand.
Date created: 2015-12-11 Location: Chicago, IL

"The lazy boiler"
I have owned the boiler for 5 years. I like that the boiler does its main function: provide hot water. It's a nice feeling to start up the bath after a cold winter day in Chicago. What I don't like about it however is that one the first person who takes a shower will get hot water. After only 2 years, I had to replace the radiator part of the boiler. Since it was a very costly fix I was very displeased. The next person will get cold water. I would never buy the same brand again because it works very poorly. This boiler has caused me nothing, but problems. I would definitely not recommend this boiler to a friend, and I would advise them to look into other brands. It has been a waste of my money, and now I know in the future I will have to be in the market for a new boiler.