Consumer Reviews of Burnham boilers

Read more about Burnham boilers

Date created: 2010-12-13 Name: Sal L.
Location: Connecticut

"Worst choice ever"
Here comes another of "those" reviews. If it helps one of you from making the mistake I did it's worth the effort. If it says Burnham on the side of the boiler it means keep a mop next to the furnace. Water EVERYWHERE at the base of the boiler. Called a repair service tech from our oil company on a Sunday to the tune of $131.00 for him to tell me in 5 SECONDS that the Burnham boilers manufactured around the time mine was made (1997) had a design flaw that manifested itself as corrosion followed by leaking. Five thousand dollars later (a child's post secondary school education is highly over-rated) we are replacing the boiler. After 12 years Burnham was willing to assist us to the tune of $530.00 but here's the catch; you get to put in another Burnham boiler! First time shame on them for selling a product that fails and then to have the stones to NOT stand behind their product. But, if I put another one in to replace the one that was terrible to begin with which one of us becomes the idiot? Bottom line, RUN to another boiler company.

Date created: 2010-12-09 Name: Bill Getas
Location: Boonesboro, MD

"Yikes"
Got an old oil fired Burnham boiler in Boonesboro, Md. It has a secret crack that lets all the steam escape when firing up from cold (cold metal block). This of course has rusted the top inside ruinously and burns up oil like mad ($500 / 3 weeks). Low water cutout kicks in, unit shuts off. Unit cools, water refill kicks in, unit starts from a lukewarm condition, so the tiny leak doesn't leak quite as much steam. Efficiency goes from 5% to 10%. House radiators get lukewarm. Repeat. Repeat. We're new in the house but this has apparently been going on for years. Getting this problem diagnosed and recognized in itself has been a real chore. Now, replacing the unit, another chore. After reading these widely, deeply painful responses, there's no way we'd consider another Burnham.

Date created: 2010-12-08 Name: joe thomliss

"God awful"
It was installed after it's 1 year old predecessor died. the 1 year old one was also a brand new burnham unit. The casing leaked, flooding our basement with anti-freeze. No harm done, right? The casing also had a bizarre fire proofed rubber flashing and gasket which MELTED and clogged the vent. again a big expensive fix to have the top and vent taken down to have the casing gasket trimmed. DO NOT BUY A BURNHAM OIL FIRED BOILER

Date created: 2010-12-08 Name: mjr dissatisfation
Location: Boston MA

"What do i do???"
Installed new system by Petro in 2004. They "recomended" the Burnham brand and now the casting is cracked and leaking! Still have to research, but I am told i will be left holding the bag! Estimated at $5000. I repaced a system that was over 60 years old that was working, but just wasnt effecient. uuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggghhhhhhhh help

Date created: 2010-12-07 Name: b liuzza
Location: BOSTON MA

"Burnt By Burnham"
I have had my bunham boiler 6 years. this summer the hot water would not come up for low water cut out. it happend 2 more times . my service man found a leak.But the warente dose not cover internal corosion. this will cost me 1700 dollars to replace. 500 is charged by bunham for the new boiler. I would nerver buy a burnham again. Why isn't the conumer protection agency looking into this company?

Date created: 2010-12-06 Name: Ron Lester
Location: Cottage Grove, OR

"PVIIIIWNP"
I work for a school district in Oregon and we installed two new Burnham PVIIIWNP low pressure hot water boilers in a new High School in 2003. The first one failed in 2009 flooding the wrestling room and surrounding area. The second one has just started to leak and I presume it is the same situation. I spent months emailing back and forth with Burnham to no avail. It is a much longer story and many dollars spent but the bottom line like most of you Burnham took no responsibility for the failure. They sent me two sections to replace the cracked ones but we had to pay for dis-assembly and diagnosis, shipping of the new sections and reassembly of the boiler. I know of at least one other school district in Oregon that experienced the same thing.

Date created: 2010-12-06 Name: David Lussier
Location: [email protected]

"Warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on"
Originally installed in June 2000 my Burnham V74 lasted 6 years. Oct 2006 it developed a "corrosion problem". After much wrangling I got them to replace the boiler section. Since they no longer manufactured the V74 the gave me the new improved V84. It was dropped shipped in my driveway. No paperwork. I had to pay $50 for a documentation fee and $10 for delivery. $775 for installation. Here we are Dec 2010 and the same"corrosion problem" has come back. Funny I don't see my neighbors replacing their heating systems every 4-6 years. Bottom line Burnham would rather see a customer freeze to death than do the right thing and stand behind their product instead of hiding behind their worthless warranty.

Date created: 2010-12-03 Name: Bob
Location: RI

"3rd Block from a scum"
This is the third time we've replaced the block in this unit V-8 Tank-less (thankless) series, we bought it in 2001 ten year warranty fuel efficient yada yada, 2004 water in the basement(they claimed it was corrosion)shipped a new one after contractor rattled their cage to which we had to pay for labor, 2010 water in the basement again, freezing cold no heat in Dec, called Burnham they said "That unit is no longer under warranty there is nothing we can do" and hung the phone up. So lets do the math: 3200 for the boiler 1200 labor, 1200 for labor to put a new block in(under warranty),another 1200 labor charge 950 for another the new block for grand total of 7700 in under 10 years, here's the kicker because the boiler was built in 2000 and sat in a warehouse until 2001 when we bought it they wont warranty it . So much for energy efficient.Buyer Beware they don't care it's just another way to suck money out of you Burn Wood instead I say.

Date created: 2010-12-02 Name: J Anthony
Location: Wilkes-Barre, Pa

"Stay away from Burnham boilers"
I purchased a burnham hot water oil burner in March of 2001. Several friends in the industry suggested I get a Burnham as they were the Cadillac of the industry. I found water all underneath the unit several weeks ago and the block had already cracked so I had to buy another boiler. When I called Burnham direct to compalin, their attitude was pick a number and wait your turn as we know about the problems but we don't care. The problems were with the V-7 units but mine is a V-8 and the same thing has happened, the materials used in building the blocks was too thin to meet the industry rating standards and the Burnham units have been failing left and right and it is sad that Burnham does not seem to care about their inferior prodcuts. I work in the insurance industry as a manager and customer service is always a very high priority to us but it seems to be on the bottom of the totem pole for Burnham. I would strongly suggest that consumers look to purchase any other brand of boilers such as Peerless as dealing with their poor attitude when calling about the warranty is just more stress on top of what they already caused.

Date created: 2010-12-02 Name: Vito
Location: Brooklyn, NY

"Burnham KV87"
NEVER BUY A BURNHAM.....my unit is 5 years old and leaking.....I was under the impression that this was under warranty.....just like other reviews....I was quoted $3300 to fix my problem.....BTW i also had a repair and maintenance contract with PETRO.....ALL MISLEADING.