Consumer Reviews of Burnham boilers

Read more about Burnham boilers

Date created: 2013-05-30 Name: B. Nicholls
Location: Gloucester, MA

"Warranty Fraud"
Malihe Nicholls 4 Stewart Avenue Gloucester, Massachusetts 01930 (978) 281-1316 [email protected] Dated: May 30, 2013 VIA CERTIFIED MAIL John A. Roda, Vice President - General Counsel and Corporate Secretary Burnham Holdings, Inc. U.S. Boiler Company, Inc. P.O. Box 3245 1241 Harrisburg Pike Lancaster, Pennsylvania 17604 Re: Burnham Alpine 210 Boiler Serial Number 65128365 Warranty Claim Demand Letter Pursuant to Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 93A Dear Mr. Roda, This letter is sent to you pursuant to the provisions of Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 93A, Section 9. In early 2009, contemplating renovations to my home at 4 Stewart Avenue, Gloucester, Massachusetts, and seeking to promote energy efficiency, I ordered a high efficiency Burnham Alpine 210 replacement boiler, which your company produces and markets, through my local utility, National Grid. I selected your product, despite the fact that it was new technology without an established track record, because of the five (5) year warranty on all parts and labor and twelve (12) year warranty on other parts, at no additional cost, which your literature promised to be applicable to all Alpine condensing boilers of less than 300,000 BTU’s installed in a residence. The boiler was installed by a licensed plumbing contractor, Lawrence Peterson, pursuant to a permit granted by the City of Gloucester. The installation was inspected by the City and went into service well into the 2009 heating season. I paid for the boiler and its installation and complied in every other respect with the warranty requirements, and so I believed I was entitled to coverage should any problem arise with your equipment. Sadly this was not to be true. On or about May 27, 2013, which is within the warranty period, the boiler totally failed and stopped providing hot water. It's diagnostic features malfunctioned and it was extremely difficult to assess the problems which caused failure, though it was clear they were within the Burnham equipment and not any peripheral installation. After several diagnostic visits required due to the non-functioning of the controls and unresponsiveness of your technical support team, the blower fan, Part No. 101529-01, was replaced by my contractor, Cranney Companies. Your customer service staff, including Nicole, Dylan, and Annette, who I reached at your given telephone line at (888) 432-8887, refused to honor the warranty when my husband and I requested them to in several telephone calls on May 29 and 30. I have been advised that your agent and employee, Glen Stanton, specifically disclaimed any warranty obligation to my contractor prior to the actual repair. Under duress I was forced to proceed with the repair at my own expense to make my home habitable. As it is, my husband and I suffered greatly due to the unavailability of hot water for days as it affected pre-existing medical conditions. I attempted to mitigate my damages this morning by contacting your customer service and a Mr. Dan Cork. By accepting warranty responsibility you could have substantially reduced the costs I incurred in curing your breach. Sadly you refused to do so. The actions of Burnham in marketing its products with a warranty which it then repudiates and breaches, knowing that the warranty is an important inducement to consumers purchasing its products, and other acts and omissions of Burnham throughout this incident, constitute unfair or deceptive acts or practices within the meaning of Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 93A. As a result of these unfair or deceptive acts, I have been injured in that I have had to expend substantial sums in securing repairs, which by the stated terms of your sales literature should have been covered, contrary to Burnham’s representations. I have also suffered severe physical and mental damages resulting directly from your wrongful conduct. I therefore demand that you immediately reimburse me for my direct out-of pocket loss, costs and expenses arising from your unconscionable behavior, in the amount of $1,500. I further demand that you correct your records to accord me the fullest warranty benefits to which I am entitled for the remaining duration or any warranty periods, without further aggravation. I will expect to receive a reply and compensation from you within the thirty (30) days required under Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 93A, Section 9. If this demand is not accepted within that period of time, I will pursue all legal rights available to me, including the recovery of multiple damages and attorneys’ fees and costs under Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 93A. Very truly yours,

Date created: 2013-04-12 Name: Jorgie
Location: MA

"Premature Blower Failures"
I have FMC 120 running for 4 and half years onward. There have been 3 failures which cost $1,700 in repair charges. The first blower failed prematurely after 20 months, the second just failed 30 months later and the Tyco 0014 main circulatory failed at 50 months. The installation conforms to all the manual specifications, however the vent and supply 3&#8243; pipes calculate out to 53&#8242; vs. the max limit of 55&#8242. To Burnham’s credit, they reimbursed me for the first blower failure and I have a request for the second. The service representative are on the phone to Burnham, 10 minutes after they arrive to trouble shoot and even then they do not get it right for the first time. I had to find the blown Tyco pump myself and kept the service representative from installing a new control board which was not the problem. Has anyone else had premature blower failures and figured out how to prevent them?

Date created: 2013-02-24 Name: Matthew
Location: Commack, NY

"Coil leak after 12 years"
I am not in the business. I got my kv73 in 2001 after my original Federal failed after 34 years. I had a contract with petro oil and this is what they offered. I heard these were notorious for early failure. Boiler itself ok but I developed a lead in the dhw coil costing be near $500 to replace. Dont know if that is a result of my crappy water or the coil itself. The Federal coil lasted 34 years before the whole thing died. Not happy....

Date created: 2012-12-31 Name: Jim Roberts
Location: Farmingville NY

"Leak in Cast Iron Block"
Purchased a Burnham v-74 in 1997 it now has a leak in the block. Burnham will send me a new block for $1,213.00 or a $675.00 rebate if I buy a new v-8. I will never recommend a Burnham so shop for another brand.

Date created: 2012-11-27 Name: K.Taylor
Location: Catskills, NY

"Replacement"
My Burnham Boiler cracked at 9 years and 9 months old and started leaking water all over my basement. I called the installer who put it in when I built the house and he told me it had a 10 year warranty but I would have to pay for the installation of the new system. Burnham honored my warranty and gave me a brand new system. I just had to pay for the removal and installation of the new system. That was 5 years ago and never a problem since. I paid $400.00 for the removal and install.

Date created: 2012-11-26 Name: Victor Verdejo
Location: Brooklyn, NY

"Burnham kV84 Cracked cast iron blocks"
Petro Oil Co. Installed a Burnham kv84 Boiler on 07/14/2004. On Thursday Nov. 22, 2012 there was no heat or Hot water in the house. Immediately called Petro, Technician discovered cracks in 3 of 4 blocks of the Cast Iron Assy. There was a lot of water inside the Boiler. The technician told me the Boiler needs to be replaced. This Boiler last only 8 years. The original Boiler that I had was over 35 years old and it was working. The reason that was replaced was because Petro Co. Told me that The Burnham kv84 was more efficient. Big lie

Date created: 2012-10-19 Name: LS
Location: CAPE MAY, NJ

"RSA11OLN"
We have had this heater for about 14 years, we service it every other year and it's been great, no problems.

Date created: 2012-09-14 Name: J Waters
Location: Milton, VT

"Cracked boilers"
I had a Burnham boiler installed in 1998. In 2003 the boiler was found to be cracked, and had to be replaced. It was under warranty, but still cost me $800. This year the replacement boiler was found to be cracked, and the unit was condemned as unsalvageable. This is not a make that I would recommend to anyone.

Date created: 2012-07-17 Name: Ed Hurley
Location: Boston, MA

"Feel good"
I'm wondering how many people on here actually tried to talk to Burnham or just listened to what a contractor told them. We moved into our house 3 years ago, and our steam oil boiler failed a year ago when it was 10 years of age, there was no warranty because they are to original owners. Anyway I spoke to them and they gave me consumer goodwill and provided a replacement boiler for $500, not bad for something that they did not have to do. This mega steam boiler reduced my oil bill last year by over 30%. So anyway...I Feel good they treated us okay. People should ask and ask nicely and I think they would be surprised in the response.

Date created: 2012-03-08 Name: R. Khalid
Location: Dearborn Heights, MI

"Burnham Worked For 31 Years!!"
I have to say goodbye to an old friend this week. My Burnham boiler finally sprang a leak and gave out after 31 years. Yes - I have had to replace the pump twice and the flame sensor a few times. But seriously folks 31 years of service on a unit that's guaranteed for 20 years. That's amazing!!!