Consumer Reviews of BURNHAM boilers

Read more about BURNHAM boilers

Date created: 2014-09-12 Name: Scott Goldstein
Location: Cedarhurst, NY

"Leaky boiler"
Parents replaced their 40-year-old boiler with a Burnham. After less than 10 years, the Burnham boiler was leaking and had to be replaced.

Date created: 2014-08-15 Name: Ddavid
Location: Middletown, NY

"Burnham Boiler Block CRACKED"
Home built 2003 Burnham boiler installed (date of manufacturer 10/03). Long story short had it cleaned yearly. Yesterday's cleaning 8/14/14, discovered large crack in block! Didn't make it 11 years! Other neighbors w/same boiler installed didn't make it this long! Called Burnham offered a prorated discount of $725 & $825 on two different models that received horrible online reviews incl. Cracking problems. Could not believe the reviews Burnham received in general. Burnham offered to replace cracked block at a price of approx. $300 (not incl. Labor) only if you are the orig. Home owner/purchaser. Do yourself a huge favor purchase another brand boiler!

Date created: 2014-07-10 Name: BMC
Location: South Shore, MA

"A disgraceful product."
This Burnham v-7 was installed in 1999 and began leaking in 2014 -- 15 year life. My old American Standard lasted over 30 years; was original to the house and was still working when I replaced it to be more energy conscious and efficient. Like throwing money down the drain. With the poor ratings that Burnhams have received and their lackluster or nonexistent customer service, I'm surprised that consumers haven't driven this company out of business by shunning all of their products. And surprisingly, Burnham has done nothing to redeem itself. I have never heard of having to buy an oil boiler every 8 to 15 years. Very disappointing.

Date created: 2014-03-06 Name: Jodi

"Warning -- warranty is not transferable"
We purchased our home from the builder who installed the boiler. We have had it serviced regularly. Our boiler is leaking between sections 3 and 4 and needs to be replaced. Apparently, we are not covered under the warranty, even thought the casing on our model are known to be defective, because we were not the home owners at the time the boiler was put in. We will never purchase another product from Burnham.

Date created: 2014-01-28 Name: dissatisfied installer
Location: Hudson Valley

"Burnam cast iron is cheap and will crack."
Model 4wfh (Essentially a v7 or v8) wet base cast iron. The first block cracked severely after 11 years. During the heating season. Burnam replaced at discounted cost but did not cover labor or other materials. The replacement block (manufactured 12/02) has cracked too. 11 years, during the coldest weather of the year. Burnam once had a good reputation. Not any more. I have seen/heard of many others with the same problem. Essentially a ten year lifespan - if You're lucky. Avoid.

Date created: 2013-09-12 Name: Denise Lane
Location: Massachusetts

"Do Not Buy From This Company"
There is a known issue with the block inside the Burnham oil burners that were installed in 2001. I found out when I had mine serviced and there was a crack in it. Burnham will not give me even a partial credit because it is 2 years over the warranty period. The warranty period should only be applicable for boilers that did not have a major known issue. Whatever happened to putting customers first? If you know that you are at fault, do the right thing.

Date created: 2013-08-27 Name: Porschedude
Location: West Chester Pa.

"They Don't Stand Behind Their Warranty!"
Please don't buy one of these! I'm in the process of tearing out and throwing away an eight year old unit that is under warranty because after four months of trying to get Burnham to repair their leaking unit, I have given up!

Date created: 2013-05-30 Name: B. Nicholls
Location: Gloucester, MA

"Warranty Fraud"
Malihe Nicholls 4 Stewart Avenue Gloucester, Massachusetts 01930 (978) 281-1316 [email protected] Dated: May 30, 2013 VIA CERTIFIED MAIL John A. Roda, Vice President - General Counsel and Corporate Secretary Burnham Holdings, Inc. U.S. Boiler Company, Inc. P.O. Box 3245 1241 Harrisburg Pike Lancaster, Pennsylvania 17604 Re: Burnham Alpine 210 Boiler Serial Number 65128365 Warranty Claim Demand Letter Pursuant to Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 93A Dear Mr. Roda, This letter is sent to you pursuant to the provisions of Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 93A, Section 9. In early 2009, contemplating renovations to my home at 4 Stewart Avenue, Gloucester, Massachusetts, and seeking to promote energy efficiency, I ordered a high efficiency Burnham Alpine 210 replacement boiler, which your company produces and markets, through my local utility, National Grid. I selected your product, despite the fact that it was new technology without an established track record, because of the five (5) year warranty on all parts and labor and twelve (12) year warranty on other parts, at no additional cost, which your literature promised to be applicable to all Alpine condensing boilers of less than 300,000 BTU’s installed in a residence. The boiler was installed by a licensed plumbing contractor, Lawrence Peterson, pursuant to a permit granted by the City of Gloucester. The installation was inspected by the City and went into service well into the 2009 heating season. I paid for the boiler and its installation and complied in every other respect with the warranty requirements, and so I believed I was entitled to coverage should any problem arise with your equipment. Sadly this was not to be true. On or about May 27, 2013, which is within the warranty period, the boiler totally failed and stopped providing hot water. It's diagnostic features malfunctioned and it was extremely difficult to assess the problems which caused failure, though it was clear they were within the Burnham equipment and not any peripheral installation. After several diagnostic visits required due to the non-functioning of the controls and unresponsiveness of your technical support team, the blower fan, Part No. 101529-01, was replaced by my contractor, Cranney Companies. Your customer service staff, including Nicole, Dylan, and Annette, who I reached at your given telephone line at (888) 432-8887, refused to honor the warranty when my husband and I requested them to in several telephone calls on May 29 and 30. I have been advised that your agent and employee, Glen Stanton, specifically disclaimed any warranty obligation to my contractor prior to the actual repair. Under duress I was forced to proceed with the repair at my own expense to make my home habitable. As it is, my husband and I suffered greatly due to the unavailability of hot water for days as it affected pre-existing medical conditions. I attempted to mitigate my damages this morning by contacting your customer service and a Mr. Dan Cork. By accepting warranty responsibility you could have substantially reduced the costs I incurred in curing your breach. Sadly you refused to do so. The actions of Burnham in marketing its products with a warranty which it then repudiates and breaches, knowing that the warranty is an important inducement to consumers purchasing its products, and other acts and omissions of Burnham throughout this incident, constitute unfair or deceptive acts or practices within the meaning of Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 93A. As a result of these unfair or deceptive acts, I have been injured in that I have had to expend substantial sums in securing repairs, which by the stated terms of your sales literature should have been covered, contrary to Burnham’s representations. I have also suffered severe physical and mental damages resulting directly from your wrongful conduct. I therefore demand that you immediately reimburse me for my direct out-of pocket loss, costs and expenses arising from your unconscionable behavior, in the amount of $1,500. I further demand that you correct your records to accord me the fullest warranty benefits to which I am entitled for the remaining duration or any warranty periods, without further aggravation. I will expect to receive a reply and compensation from you within the thirty (30) days required under Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 93A, Section 9. If this demand is not accepted within that period of time, I will pursue all legal rights available to me, including the recovery of multiple damages and attorneys’ fees and costs under Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 93A. Very truly yours,

Date created: 2013-04-12 Name: Jorgie
Location: MA

"Premature Blower Failures"
I have FMC 120 running for 4 and half years onward. There have been 3 failures which cost $1,700 in repair charges. The first blower failed prematurely after 20 months, the second just failed 30 months later and the Tyco 0014 main circulatory failed at 50 months. The installation conforms to all the manual specifications, however the vent and supply 3&#8243; pipes calculate out to 53&#8242; vs. the max limit of 55&#8242. To Burnham’s credit, they reimbursed me for the first blower failure and I have a request for the second. The service representative are on the phone to Burnham, 10 minutes after they arrive to trouble shoot and even then they do not get it right for the first time. I had to find the blown Tyco pump myself and kept the service representative from installing a new control board which was not the problem. Has anyone else had premature blower failures and figured out how to prevent them?

Date created: 2013-02-24 Name: Matthew
Location: Commack, NY

"Coil leak after 12 years"
I am not in the business. I got my kv73 in 2001 after my original Federal failed after 34 years. I had a contract with petro oil and this is what they offered. I heard these were notorious for early failure. Boiler itself ok but I developed a lead in the dhw coil costing be near $500 to replace. Dont know if that is a result of my crappy water or the coil itself. The Federal coil lasted 34 years before the whole thing died. Not happy....