Consumer Reviews of BURNHAM boilers

Read more about BURNHAM boilers

Date created: 2010-09-27 Name: K. Mailler
Location: Cornwall, New York

"Junk and will not honor warranty"
Had a 4WNH boiler installed in 1997. Block cracked in 2001. My repair company fought long and hard to get unit replaced under warranty. Had to pay them labor to replace the unit and Burnham would not reimburse the labor charges. Yesterday had a basement full of water again and it appears to be the block in the replacement unit. Called Burnham, they will not warranty this unit. They are trying to back date us to the original unit. What kind of garbage is this? They offered us a new unit for $1,150. I asked why would I buy another unit from them when they sell junk? The lady says to me quote "our new units are better now" Tells you they know they have a problem. Will NEVER buy a Burnham product again. And by the way we are the original owners and they will not honor the warranty. The sears furnace my in-laws put in the house in 1940 was still working fine when we decided to UPGRADE for better heat efficiency using a new boiler and installing new baseboard replaced the old cast radiators. SAD

Date created: 2010-09-22 Name: S. Wong
Location: New York City

"6yr old Burnham IN5!..no problems so ar!"
Tossed out a perfectly good Peerless oil fired steam boiler 6 years ago due to a below ground ruptured oil line rendering house unliveable due to fumes. As luck would have it I was flat on my back after hernia surgery. Wife laid down the law stating she was tired of the mess, fumes, and yearly maintainence required changing out nozzles, filter not to mention yearly cleaning of passageways. Keyspan here in NYC had promotion of a free Burnham if we converte from oil to gas. Got ripped off pretty badly with costs installing and carting away the tank. Since we live in NYC the bureaucracy getting surplus oil sucked out followed by different contractor to cut up tank in a completely finished basement. Keyspan recommended contractor recommended a model IN4 after a quick heat analysis. I instead went with the Burnham IN5 with standing pilot ignition. Very concerned with casting thickness and gasket sealing materials of Burnham but Weil McLain is identical. Quality unlike 20 years ago has gotten pretty bad. So far my 6-yr old Burnham IN6 is problem free but reading all these negative reviewsdoesn't exactly install confidence I made the right decision....time will tell. For those considering either Burnham I'd stick with a standing pilot model over piezo electric ignition...way easier to troubleshoot not to mention when the piezo control box fails it's very costly to purchase and replace by your heating contractor. BTW, the same control box sells for $125 on eBay yet costs over $400 when installed by your contractor. Finally, a genuine Burnham thermocouple sells for $125 on the web yet a generic Honeywell Q309A thermocouple sells for $10/unit on eBay but you have to buy a box of 10...ugh!

Date created: 2010-09-13 Name: Dave

"V7 okay"
I have a 17 year old Burnham v7 boiler, just cleaned and serviced last week, no sign of any leaks.

Date created: 2010-08-30 Name: Vincent

"Burnham V73"
Not an old boiler, but recognized in the industry as being a piece of garbage. Every service guy has been surprised that is has lasted over 10 years, but each has told me that it is just Ďa matter of timeí given how terrible the casting was on these units. Sure enough, the thing has cracked and Burnham wants nothing to do with me, since I bought the house soon after the unit was installed. A second class company with a third class attitude. I will not go near another of their products even if itís free.

Date created: 2010-08-26 Name: D. Pechin

"PV73 Junk"
Moved into our house 6 years ago. Burnham pv73 installed in January, 2000 with the original owners and me believing there was a lifetime warranty. Starts leaking in August 2010. Warranty does not extend to me since I am not the original owner. Original owner called and made warranty claim. Burnham claims, he has no coverage since he is no longer living there. Warranty is bs unless you plan to stay in your home forever. Looking at $5,000 to replace boiler with a different manufacturer. Burnham stinks and I would join a class action suit with similar minded people.

Date created: 2010-08-25 Name: Sean Tatro

"Larry 7son heating vt"
After reading some of these reviews, I have found that the servicing company is very bad. I have not seen a single leaker that I could not get under warranty and as far as warranty coverage, every manufacturer is the same limited lifetime on block most are prorated. The company I buy my boilers from tells me the same day if they have approved warranty and they have them instock for same day install. From what I'm reading, it sounds like the heating contractors in your areas are taking advantage of you. You should not have to make one phone call. It should be up to the servicing contractor. Burnham v8 oil is a great boiler. I have installed over 300 units in the last 12 yrs and have had no issues. I only sell them.

Date created: 2010-08-21 Name: Jean Rich

"Buying another boiler and it wont be Burnham!!"
I bought a Burnham boiler to heat a 3000 sq ft house with in floor heating in the basement (additional 2100 sq ft). I bought the largest domestic boiler Burnham had and I beleive the installer was somewhat familar with the product. About one year into the operation of the boiler, we began to have problems: values leaking some zones hot others not, lines breaking and so on. I called the installer and he did little to repair the product so I called Burnham to ask if this was normal for the boiler and if not, where to look for problems and how to correct them. They brushed me off stating in around about way that they didn't want to irk their wholesalers (ie they valued them more than the people who bought their rubbish) so I continued to get shafted by this installer and others. Bottom line-I never felt comfortable with this heating system. I was always waiting for it to malfunction. And in an area of the north where winters last for 8 months and -45 is almost the normal, it's not a nice feeling. Anyway, I'm rehabbing my 10th house (this time on the coast in Or) and it needs a new boiler. It gives me great pleasure in buying my fifth boiler that is not Burnham!! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Burnham!!

Date created: 2010-07-01 Name: Ernie Agresti

"V11 Series"
We have a couple dozen v11 series boilers which have experienced leaks since about year nine. Can anyone shed light on the v11 series problems? We would consider leading a class action effort if there are others with the same problems with these models.

Date created: 2010-05-25 Name: M. Coller

"Burnham Boiler V8"
Corroded & cracked & needs to be replaced after 9 years. And since I'm not the original owner, there is no warranty. Don't ever buy a Burnham!!!

Date created: 2010-05-10 Name: Pordy

"Garbage"
House came with a Burnham kv74 boiler installed in 1997. Told yesterday that it has "rot hole on top of unit block" and needs to be replaced. 13 years on a oil burner? In the 3 hears we've owned the house it has needed non-routine service 3-4 times/year.