Consumer Reviews of BUDERUS boilers

Read more about BUDERUS boilers

Date created: 2010-12-29 Name: Fred
Location: Upstate NY

"Piece of crap"
Not efficient. Won't maintain house temperature, even though it is oversized. Using 7 gallons of propane a day for just heat and it is not that cold yet. Spend your money on a traditional boiler. My 142-45 is junk.

Date created: 2010-12-08 Name: Tot Morxonn

"Great!"
We were just sick of hot air, it was so dry and loud. The furnace was old to. we got a buderus 115ws installed with an indirect fired storage tank. its actually 89.5% efficient, a MASSIVE improvement from the Metromatic oil fired furnace that was 35 years old and 62%AFUE. We have never had a problem, perhaps thats because we have gotten it cleaned every year, to those of you who don't maintain anything. I highly recommend any Buderus product. Good bye.

Date created: 2010-11-11 Name: D. Gaudreau
Location: Essex Junction, VT

"GB142-not happy"
I am sitting here waiting for a service technician for the 4th or 5th time in 2 years after installing a Buderus GB-142. This is a high efficiency boiler that is way too finicky. I am sure I have spent any fuel savings on service calls for this boiler. And as some other reviewer mentioned we were surprised to find out after installation that we have to have yearly maintenance on this boiler whereas most gas fired boilers run maintenance free for years. We had an oil fired boiler for 20 years that didn't cause us nearly the problems. I would not recommend this boiler.

Date created: 2010-10-16 Name: R. Tallarico
Location: Merrimack, NH

"Overcomplicated"
I had a boiler installed about 13 months ago. Other than an ignitor replacement, I haven't had any reliability problems with it. But it certainly was expensive, and I don't believe the added complexity for "efficiency" was worth the cost. It does adjust the temperature of the heating water based on the outside temperature. How it does that is adjustable, but very complicated to adjust. The bottom line is, if I were to do this all over again, I'd get a simpler boiler (read less "efficient" and cheaper) and use a digital thermostat to control the temperature in the house.

Date created: 2010-08-17 Name: Jay Justin

"You are on your own with poor product"
Firstly--A boiler is a boiler, and there isn't a huge amount of difference between different makes. Buderus makes a fine boiler, but where they fail is uncooperative, useless finger-pointing product support. I had a sloppy Buderus install by a pretty mediocre contractor (yes, they were fully licensed but not skilled). I won't do business with them again, but nobody else in my major metro area will even touch a Buderus. Buderus will not help me find a new contractor, nor will they help me find spare parts, not even minor ones like pilot orifaces. They also work harder than any company I have ever seen to obscure their part numbers beyond recognition, so you cannot find compatible parts. Nor will the make sure I, as the end user am a satisfied customer because they (unlike other major boiler manufacturers) will sell their product to any contractor that comes along, no matter how bad, but they have no leverage over bad installers because there are no actual standards for those installers unlike, say--Weil-Mclain.

Date created: 2010-08-08 Name: E. dunlap

"EXCELLENT!"
It is quiet, warm, efficient, all the things you want in a boiler, a bit pricey, though.

Date created: 2010-08-02 Name: Larry F.

"115"
Installed most of the system myself. Have a 42 gallon storage tank. Runs beautifully. Only used 200 gallons for heat and hot water. 8 room house. The computer is a delight. Controls everything. Keeps track of the hours run. Has summer and winter programs and can set it for different heating patterns. Have had it over 3 years. No problems.

Date created: 2010-06-22 Name: Ami Loomis

"Loomisgang"
Heat exchanger went at 3 months. After 2 years, replaced the ignitor switch and valve as valve was leaking. Now, the dhw heats to over 190 and whistles very loud until I manually turn it down to 110. A huge waste of 11,000.00.

Date created: 2010-06-05 Name: John60

"Love it"
I replaced our heat and hot water with Buderus units two years ago. The guy who put it in stressed how important it was to be trained in Buderus, how many weeks of classes he'd been to, and to never, never let anyone without the training touch the unit. I love it. The heat is much more comfortable. The unit makes the water only as hot as necessary. On a chilly day, the radiators may heat to 90 deg F. On cold days, maybe to 105. (I'm totally guessing) The difference it makes to match the radiator heat to the actual coldness of the day is impossible to explain. My oil consumption dropped about 30-35%. I'm saving 300 plus gallons a year. Last year, a little over a thousand and the price of oil creeps up. The unit cost about 9000 so payback will probably be seven years. I have a feeling that if I study the manual and customize my settings I can save more but the manual is quite technical. Wish they wrote a Buderus for Dummys. Hot water production is not as fast as my old unit. When my kids run out the hot water (30 minute steaming hot showers), it takes about 20 minutes to get back to temp. It's easy to check. Boiler temp, water temp, outside air temp are all constantly monitored. I have a 40 gallon tank. Neither my wife nor I have ever run out of hot water. I've learned that oil tanks have to be cleaned out every few years. It costs a few hundred and 20 gallons of oil but it really reduces the burner problems over time. As tanks accumulate sludge, they send more cr*p down the line, poor flame, smoky operation, shutdowns, and poor economy. Tanks and filters, keep 'em clean. My experience, if you have a Buderus put in by someone who knows how, it's cheaper and more comfortable heat. The unit hiccupped once. It shut off and it took some time with the instruction manual to start it up. Most of the controls are covered by a flip up panel which took me 15 minutes to figure out. Then it took about 5 more minutes. The incident happened when the unit was about a month old, but has never recurred. Our electricity can flicker here, shuts off computers, digital stuff, I think that caused it.

Date created: 2010-05-13 Name: J. Meintzer

"Buderus"
Buderus boilers are good units. However, as a contractor, I can tell you that the boilers are built extremely tight which creates issues with sooting if the unit is not set up properly. Dirty air environments(pet hair, dryer vent, etc.) and oil sludge do not help. In my opinion, any g100 models are good but the g215-7's are very loud and have constant issues. In some cases, a muffler is needed to diminish the sound and rumble. I would not recommend any oil boiler without a riello burner and an outdoor reset control system.