Consumer Reviews of BUDERUS boilers

Read more about BUDERUS boilers

Date created: 2011-05-10 Name: DNovak
Location: Little Falls, New York

"Buderus 115WS, Total install (My Labor) $4300.00. No failures all winter."
Installed a Buderus 115WS boiler and indirect water heater myself. This boiler replaced a 53 year old Weil McClain boiler that used 1 gallon a hour. Due to the efficiency of the Buderus, I was able to reduce the tip size to .75 GPH. With the old boiler I was getting a oil delivery once a month (Avg 75 gallons).I still have a 1/4 a tank of fuel after 6 months of operation in upstate NY. I had no failures all winter. I'm just going to clean the boiler, replace the oil filters, and continue to save money.Total cost $4300.00

Date created: 2011-04-14 Name: mgrady
Location: Bristol, CT

"New boiler"
Just had my Buderus boiler g115/4 installed the other day 4/12/11. Had that with a Tekmar 260 outdoor reset installed with my Amotrol indirect hot water with no problems other than a bad Tekmar relay that had to be replaced. Was a little nervous with complaints listed hre but not a problem on my install. Had a Riello burner with it. Would definitly reccommend

Date created: 2011-02-14 Name: tony
Location: Toms River, New Jersey

"Undependable System"
Purchased the GC 124 residenial unit and had it installed on October 22,2010. Five days later the unit worked for the first time after it was discovered the unit was wired wrong from the factory. The first problem occured on 10-28, the unit shut off. The contractor was called and a defected part was replaced. For the next month, the unit would shut off, contractor called, and another part was replaced. A Buderus sevice rep was called, and he had no answers as to why the unit shuts off. Now 4 months later,with every new part replaced, the problem continues. Only way to get heat, is to turn the electric off and the unit resets. Completely undependable unit, I am confined to my home unsure when the unit will shut off which can result in extensive water damage.

Date created: 2011-02-11 Name: Joe
Location: NY Long Island

"Buderus untrained guy"
Paid a guy in Lindenhurst $12K to install he hooked it up wrong and said he wast rained in Buderus but lied. I paid $5K more to fix it right. How can you tell if a mechanic is really trained in Buderus?

Date created: 2011-01-18 Name: Quality Mechanical
Location: Upstate NY

"READ THIS!!"
I have been reading several disappointed reviews regarding the GB boiler. One review states "it won't heat the house even though it's oversized". Let me say this, your issue has NOTHING to do with the boiler and everything to do with system design and installation. We install dozens of GB boilers and have nothing but satisfied customers. Firstly, a boiler shouldn't be oversized...it should be sized to the calculated heat load on the house. Secondly, the boiler can make only as much heat as the distribution can deliver. A knowledgeable contractor will measure your radiation and calculate a heat load on the house. Using that information, the maximum water temp for the system is calculated and used to cut off the curve in the AM10 control. You will only get peak efficiency if the return water temperature is low enough to absorb the latent heat of condensation from the flue gas. If the radiation is insufficient and the supply water temp. is elevated too much, you will lose efficiency. The GB should be installed with an ECM pump such as the Wilo Eco-stratos that can be dialed in to control the temp diff. between supply and return water, with adequate radiation the boiler will always be condensing and running at peak efficiency (except when firing for indirect HW). It is true that the boiler varies the supply water temp based on the heat load, it is always trying to run at peak efficiency (condense). I guarantee 95% of the dissatisfaction comes from uneducated and subpar contractors that cannot properly size and install the boiler. Buderus doesn't want Mr. Homeowner working on the boiler because Mr. Homeowner doesn't understand how it works. That's why you see poor reviews for a solid piece of equipment. The Germans don't build junk, it's a high performance boiler that needs specific piping, very clean water (no conventional anti freeze), etc. It's far superior to a weil-mclain, if that's the only boiler you're comfortable with that's a sad situation. Buderus offers training to their dealers that want to know how to properly and effectively instal their equipment, and we take it.

Date created: 2011-01-13 Name: Mark
Location: Massachusetts

"Nothing but problems"
We average a service call every other month, as soon as one thing seems to work something else goes wrong. You put your money into an expensive system for efficiency and less headaches. This system is the complete opposite, not only is it just not worth the extra money, it is an inferior product. Just look at the reviews on this site alone, it seems it is a 50/50 proposition whether or not you will have problems. Not a gamble worth taking for 1,000's of dollars.

Date created: 2010-12-29 Name: Fred
Location: Upstate NY

"Piece of crap"
Not efficient. Won't maintain house temperature, even though it is oversized. Using 7 gallons of propane a day for just heat and it is not that cold yet. Spend your money on a traditional boiler. My 142-45 is junk.

Date created: 2010-12-08 Name: Tot Morxonn

"Great!"
We were just sick of hot air, it was so dry and loud. The furnace was old to. we got a buderus 115ws installed with an indirect fired storage tank. its actually 89.5% efficient, a MASSIVE improvement from the Metromatic oil fired furnace that was 35 years old and 62%AFUE. We have never had a problem, perhaps thats because we have gotten it cleaned every year, to those of you who don't maintain anything. I highly recommend any Buderus product. Good bye.

Date created: 2010-11-11 Name: D. Gaudreau
Location: Essex Junction, VT

"GB142-not happy"
I am sitting here waiting for a service technician for the 4th or 5th time in 2 years after installing a Buderus GB-142. This is a high efficiency boiler that is way too finicky. I am sure I have spent any fuel savings on service calls for this boiler. And as some other reviewer mentioned we were surprised to find out after installation that we have to have yearly maintenance on this boiler whereas most gas fired boilers run maintenance free for years. We had an oil fired boiler for 20 years that didn't cause us nearly the problems. I would not recommend this boiler.

Date created: 2010-10-16 Name: R. Tallarico
Location: Merrimack, NH

"Overcomplicated"
I had a boiler installed about 13 months ago. Other than an ignitor replacement, I haven't had any reliability problems with it. But it certainly was expensive, and I don't believe the added complexity for "efficiency" was worth the cost. It does adjust the temperature of the heating water based on the outside temperature. How it does that is adjustable, but very complicated to adjust. The bottom line is, if I were to do this all over again, I'd get a simpler boiler (read less "efficient" and cheaper) and use a digital thermostat to control the temperature in the house.