Consumer Reviews of American Standard boilers

Read more about American Standard boilers

Date created: 2016-04-15 Location: Manassas, VA

"Boiler which makes a loud buzz noise but effective"
Our current boiler was in the home when we purchased it in 2014. So, we have owned it for a little over 2 years. The boiler has not had any issues since we moved in except for the fact it makes a loud buzzing sound while running. We had it serviced when we first moved in and if I remember correctly, the worker said the buzz was from the connection and it was going to cost around $250 (I think?) to replace the part. At the time, I wasn't interested in paying that much, and just determined to live with the noise. No repair issues really, just cleaned once a year or so. I would buy the same brand for sure as I've heard American Standard is a good brand. Frankly, it seems kind of old, so I'm not sure how much longer it will last. I'll continue to have it serviced yearly to try and make it last as long as possible as I've heard they are expensive to replace. As for the baseboard heating we have, via the boiler, I absolutely love. It's not a dry heat and the electricity cost seems minimal. All in all, I'd definitely recommend to friends and family.

Date created: 2016-01-04 Location: Hoboken, NJ

"Quite satisfied"
I've had my boiler since we moved into our house. It's quite an older model, but we've never had many problems. The only issue we've ever had was that we had to replace the boiler. But I feel like during the 10 years we've lived in our house that's not bad at all! If I had to list a complaint I would say that it's a little noisy when it comes on but that's it. The things I like about it are that it's fairly reliable. As satisfied as I am, however, I am still looking for an upgrade. It's just something that I haven't gotten around to doing just yet. I may not buy the same brand again but I also have not looked at all the brands that are out there. I would need to do some comparisons first probably. Given my experience I would recommend this brand to a friend but I would tell them to do the same - shop around.

Date created: 2015-04-21 Name: John H
Location: Denver, CO

"Keeps on working"
Moved in 20 years ago and the boiler was 20 years old at the time. I had to replace the pump and pump linkage but there were no problems with the boiler. It's starting to lose water somewhere so I figure its time to replace. I have a couple of HVAC estimates scheduled and am bracing myself for the sticker shock. I wish I could replace it with another American Standard.

Date created: 2013-09-28 Name: J. MacDonald
Location: Whitelake, Michigan

"Rock Solid"
Original boiler to home, will be turning 50 next year. No issues but had to replace water circulating pump 3 times and Extrol model 30 expansion tank twice all in 24 years. Know I'm on thin ice, looking to replace but American Standard does not make boilers anymore. Like everyone else on here, quality really is an issue with boilers today. Keeping my fingers crossed until I can find a quality unit to replace this iron work horse.

Date created: 2012-06-29 Name: Tintin
Location: Winchester, MA

"The "Bunny" of boilers"
I moved into my house, built in 1954, in 1969. The original boiler was a tankless Amer Standard Arcoliner, Series 4b j4, with a New Arcoflame burner, Model eh6. Many years ago, I had the tankless part disconnected because the water flow had been seriously compromised by calcium deposit. This boiler/burner assembly was serviced yearly for a cleaning and tune-up. Aside from replacing the water circulator twice, there have been no other repairs necessary over the last 43 years! The only problem is that the system efficiency, which had been at around 74% for many years, has come down over the last couple of years to 70%. So, reluctantly, I am finally replacing this dinosaur with a smaller, more efficient unit, which I am sure will also bring me more problems, since I am sure "they don't build them like they used to"...

Date created: 2011-11-23 Name: Philip H
Location: Washington, DC

"Solid Unit"
American Standard unit has been very solid. Replaced the circulator pump once about 10 years ago. Pilot has blown once or twice in recent years. Intending to replace unit for the model, as assuming unit is at less than 60%. But like another reviewer says, with so many stories of failures, what to do - where can you find real reliability information?

Date created: 2010-04-23 Name: K. Allan Haywood

"American Standard Hydronic Gas heating Boiler"
Only replacements for this unit have been the circulatin pumps. Has been a very dependable product.

Date created: 2010-01-18 Name: MSV

"What to do?"
Was in the house we bought which is an 1963 and is the original boiler. Never had a problem w/ it. I want to upgrade to a more efficient boiler but after reading all the reviews from different manufacturers on this site, I'm kinda weary. Seems nothing stays operational for more than six months or is already broke when installed. Ohhh what to do?