Consumer Reviews of York central air conditioners

Read more about York central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-06-25 Name: Angry Customer!

"Unit has Been Nothing but Trouble!!!!"
I had a brand new furnace and AC unit installed in August of 2008. Ever since then, I've had nothing but problems!!! And when my AC man calls York they give him a problem saying my warranty expired in January. How is that possible when I have a receipt stating it was installed August 2008! York obviously does not stand by their equipment or service and it looks like I am going to have to take them to court to get back all the money I've been paying to have the piece of junk fixed month after month! And now I am going to have to buy a new system and you can be damn sure it will not be a York! And I will never recommend this brand to anyone!!!!

Date created: 2013-05-06 Name: L Christman
Location: Alabama

"York IS One of the Best"
I have been reading these reviews concerning York heating and air conditioning equipment. I see most of the reviews are negative toward this manufacturer. As a licensed HVAC contractor, I can attest to the fact that York equipment is no better or worse than any other equipment on the market. It is currently the only manufacturer that builds their equipment in the USA however. Over the years I have installed all the major manufacturer's equipment or serviced them. They all have some problems, ALL of them. The biggest problem I see is improper installation. The installing contractor is the cause of 90% of the equipment problems I have seen over the years on relatively new equipment. You get what you pay for folks, that saying has never held as much sway as it does concerning heating and air conditioning equipment. When you buy from the lowest bidder, expect to get a lowest bidder install, and then you can expect problems. Take it from someone that is in the business, the installation makes all the difference. You can choose to believe it or not.

Date created: 2013-02-18 Name: Dan

"Garbage"
Plain and simple save yourself a lot of heart ache. These units are awful Including the ac unit, heating element,thermostat and UV light. Buy anything else but not a York.

Date created: 2013-01-11 Name: C Smith
Location: St. Augustine, FL

"DO NOT BUY A YORK"
We live in Florida and have had a York for less than 2 years. We are on our 4th compressor! After 3 repairs on the uv disinfection system our hvac contractor gave up so that is inoperable. Currently we have had the 4th compressor running for 3 weeks but yesterday a pressure switch failed so no air conditioning. The biggest lemon we have ever owned. Don't buy one!!!

Date created: 2012-11-20 Name: Shirley Atkins
Location: Rochester, NY

"This unit is Junk"
Along with our furnace issues, we had many issues with our York a/c Unit and had to have it replaced after a little more than 6 years. We don't live in the south so the a/c doesn't run constantly and we shouldn't have had to lay out more money for another unit. Never buy a York product!

Date created: 2012-09-30 Name: s olson
Location: Hot Springs Village, AR

"ONLY UNIT AROUND FROZEN W/ICE"
Our second winter with our York air conditioner was a nightmare. The entire upper half of the outdoor unit was totally covered with thick ice and it was not running. We drove around the neighborhood and not one single unit had ice. We went outside with icepicks to get the ice off. The builder told us, "you want to save money? I have a York unit I will sell you cheap." Big mistake.

Date created: 2012-08-03 Name: N. R.
Location: California

"Wrong size installed, humidity problems, mold"
My home is 825 sq. feet. I hired a hvac dealer/contractor to install an a/c package with heating function for the winter. He insisted York was the best and persuaded me to go with his preference. His crew installed a York dnq, 15 seer a/C. (They did not connect the gas line initially, alleging they thought I didn't want it immediately. They came back to install the gas pipe separately.) The noise I hear from one of the rooms and the bathroom is quite bothersome. But the worse part is that the size is too big for my home. He chose a 2 ton unit, which is apparently too big. It cools down the house very quickly and then turns off, therefore humidity remains and continues to build up.If he would have installed a 1.5 ton unit, the cooling would take longer, thus the removal of humidity would also worked better. The comfort level is very poor, as the high humidity makes the a/c rather useless, unless I run the unit at a lower temperature, but then it gets too cold, plus it shuts down when the set temperature is reached anyway, and the humidity problem starts again. High humidity promotes mold growth, which is causing me many symptoms.I Did not know all of this until I had this experience. He should have known. I paid close to $ 4,000.-- for this, and as I write these lines, I am using my humble little window air conditioner instead of the York a/c to remove the excessive moisture from the air. Not to mention "minor" additional problems with the a/c dealer/contractor: - the switch he wanted to install for the UV light was defective (awaiting replacement/installation) - a more sensitive thermostat he wanted to install for "better comfort" is awaiting delivery (the one he installed burned upon activation before his eyes) - documents pertaining to the UV light for warranty registration missing, not delivered yet - my heating lamp in the bathroom does not work since they installed the a/c (I am to hire an electrician for repair, a/c contractor will pay, he stated) I should not have hired this a/c dealer/contractor, and I should not have accepted the installation of a 2 ton York a/c.

Date created: 2012-08-02 Name: Jason Guy
Location: Raleigh, NC

"As a Contractor"
I am a licensed air conditioning and heating contractor in North Carolina. My company has been proudly offering york products for almost 50 years. We have over that same time sold pretty well every other brand available at some point for various reasons, but have always maintained york as a primary brand of choice. Over the years we have certainly experienced our share of problems with york, but have experienced similar issues with every other manufacturer as well. We stick with york because of the level of support we get from them as a dealer. I have read comments on here about end users getting no response from york, but I have occasionally given a customer a number to york customer service and they have gotten results. That is just my experience on that. As for my direct experience dealing with york, I will give an example of how they handle major issues. a few years ago york had a serious problem with leaking evaporator coils. We were replacing a lot, and I do mean a lot of coils. At first, we didn't know what the problem was, but the engineers at york found the common problem where, during the manufacturing process, the wall of the copper tubing was being pinched, resulting in a common thin spot in many, if not all of those coils. Once they determined the problem, they took action. Major action. The factory where this was happening was located in Mexico. That factory was shutdown, and all of its machinery and all of those jobs were moved back to Wichita, ks. Since then, we may find an occasional bad coil (which I can assure you can be found no matter whose name is on it), but it is rare. And if we do find one of the old ones? We get paid, by york to replace it. If you have been charged by your contractor to replace a "blue- finned" coil in a york unit, then you got ripped off by the contractor, not the manufacturer. We have very few issues with the york systems we install. Of course, we believe in having properly trained installers and service technicians to install and service them, so it stands to reason. I will continue to sell, service, and stand by york air conditioners, heat pumps, and gas furnaces.

Date created: 2012-08-01 Name: Patricia Fidler
Location: California

"Model Not Listed"
We moved into a new home 3 1/2 years ago with a York ac. The coil blew out and they had to build a new one. All of this will take 3 weeks minimum for it to be repaired, Meanwhile it is August and temps have been hovering in the triple digits. They also said it would cost $260 to ship the replacement coil to us, plus the $1500 for the repair cost. The previous repairman said this unit is junk and we have just begun to fork out thousands of dollars. Needless to say, I am very unhappy with this product.

Date created: 2012-07-28 Name: Edward
Location: Reno, NV

"Six Years of Hell (Very Hot When it's Broken)"
A nightmare. Every year one or two major breakdowns. This week, a first. We had an electrical problem on the 24v control circuits: kept blowing a fuse. So, the repair fellow sets it up to identify the source. The unit breaks down in 5 days with a completely unrelated problem. Now, that is fixed, and we are waiting for the intermittent electric problem to surface. This came with our new house, but I'll never buy York.