Consumer Reviews of York central air conditioners

Read more about York central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-05-21 Name: R. Bourne

"York Air Condition is the Worst"
I will never buy a York Central Air Conditioning Unit again. I have a York Condensing unit for my central air condition and it has broken down every single year that I had owned it. This unit is only 3 years old!! It must be very bad quality. I sometimes wonder if installing bad quality equipment is done intentional so that money can be made off of the customers with the repeated service calls. Everytime, it breaks they tell me to get an extended warranty. I have had air conditioning units in the past that can last +10 years without a single problem.

Date created: 2008-10-10 Name: Linda Call
Location: Pam Springs, CA

"York Split System"
We purchased a York Furnace and condensing unit in October 2007 (it was installed in May 2008) after we remodeled our home. The furnace is so noisey and the fan keeps running after the ac is off and sounds like an airplane stalling in the air. We purchased a 90% efficiency model furnace and a 15 seer 5 ton condensing unit and our electric bill is over $450 per month!!

Date created: 2008-09-12 Name: McCaffrey
Location: Naples, FL

"Noise"
We purchased a York air conditioner in Naples, FL in April of this year (2008) thru Conditioned Air. They have been here three times for the noise. It's just awful especially at night. It sounds like an unbalanced washer. Just sick and we are retired - don't know what to do.

Date created: 2008-09-11 Name: Steve
Location: Montgomery County, PA

"21 seasons and counting"
Just made it through our 21st season with a York compressor. Routine tune ups every couple of summers and no problems. Some other posts complain about the unit being loud, and I would agree with that. My unit is about 20' from my back patio so when it runs, you know itís running. However with the house closed up its hardly noticeable inside. Was just getting ideas about replacing the unit because I've heard the units have a life expectancy of 15 years and I know this one is a huge energy hog (like all appliances from the 80s). I plan on getting another York system when this one does go, but I can't say it owes me anything.

Date created: 2008-08-06 Name: R. Ussher
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada

"York Air Conditioner"
Terrible unit. 1 year old and have gone thru 2 fan motors, 1 compacitor and now a electrical contact service. Very poor service from the dealer Air Wave in Guelph Ontario. When the unit does run, it is extremely loud. May have to get rid of the unit after 1 year to save headaches and cost of repairs.

Date created: 2008-08-02 Name: Mark
Location: Franklin, TN

"Mark"
New home came with 2 York units in October of 1998. Other than usual stuff, not many problems...till now, outside unit shorted out and blew up, a 5 ton unit. Got it up and running but only a matter of time. With new seer ratings, I was told I would have to replace both inside and outside....$$$$ Not really looking forward to that

Date created: 2008-07-22 Name: Laura
Location: Bakersfield, CA

"Worst unit ever"
We have a York unit that was installed on our brand-new home 5 years ago. It has never functioned properly. Now it is just out of warranty (2 months ago) and the compressor is dead. The local service company keeps trying to give various reasons why it must be our fault. Don't think so! We are conservative with our usage and the 8-10 service calls we've had in 5 years tell the real story. We are very upset!

Date created: 2008-07-18 Name: Andy Meitner
Location: Gilbert, AZ

"Mr."
Unit is 4 years old and I am planing on replacing it soon. The compressor is extremely noisy. The unit was placed next to the family room and if you are watching TV you must turn the volume way up. No other problems with it but we are replacing it soon with something other than a York!!

Date created: 2008-06-12 Name: T. Zenkner
Location: DeKalb, IL

"York air conditioner problems"
I first purchased my furnace and air conditioner 8 years ago. Exactly 5 years the air conditioner completely blew. It was replaced although I did have to pay a portion. That was in 2005. In 2006 I had the service guy come out, said your out of freon. He replaced it. The next year I turned it on, out of freon again, I had to pay for a condensor or something of the sort. Now this year they are telling me I have a problem with the A-coil and I need to pay for it. Is the problem with York or my service company????? I can't afford this air conditioner. I am sitting in an 85 degree house even though I have central air because nobody is doing anything about it!

Date created: 2008-06-07 Name: Wendi Roper
Location: Murfreesboro, TN

"York Model# E1RA030S06D"
This unit is a little over 4 yrs old. It is still under parts warranty. It has performed appallingly poorly. Since moving into our house 3 yrs ago, we have averaged about 10 service calls a year. We have replaced the compressor and the fan once, and the defrost board 3 times. Even after replacing all of these parts, which were covered parts only, the unit still has never worked consistently for more than a month or two. We have just been told that the compressor-which was replaced July 13, 2007 now needs to be replaced again. The only explanation is that it is a crappy York unit. I have contacted York, and the customer service reps I have spoken to have been unfriendly and unhelpful to say the least. Besides the costs of all the service calls and labor that we have incurred, our energy bills have been ridiculous. We have an electric heat pump, of course, and our monthly electric bill in the cold months has been as high as $375 to heat our 2000 sqft house. Please bear in mind, we live in Tennessee, not in Minnesota. Do not, under any circumstances, purchase a York. Be wary of moving into a house with a York unit, we have only heard bad things since our problems started. Apparently contractors, use them because they are one of the cheapest, but the many service people we have encountered have unanimously been against them. Needless to say, we are not replacing the compressor again, but instead will buy a functional unit, even though we can't really afford it. If you find yourself in a house with a York unit, just be sure to have cash on hand for a whole new unit.