Consumer Reviews of York central air conditioners

Read more about York central air conditioners

Date created: 2008-08-06 Name: R. Ussher
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada

"York Air Conditioner"
Terrible unit. 1 year old and have gone thru 2 fan motors, 1 compacitor and now a electrical contact service. Very poor service from the dealer Air Wave in Guelph Ontario. When the unit does run, it is extremely loud. May have to get rid of the unit after 1 year to save headaches and cost of repairs.

Date created: 2008-08-02 Name: Mark
Location: Franklin, TN

"Mark"
New home came with 2 York units in October of 1998. Other than usual stuff, not many problems...till now, outside unit shorted out and blew up, a 5 ton unit. Got it up and running but only a matter of time. With new seer ratings, I was told I would have to replace both inside and outside....$$$$ Not really looking forward to that

Date created: 2008-07-22 Name: Laura
Location: Bakersfield, CA

"Worst unit ever"
We have a York unit that was installed on our brand-new home 5 years ago. It has never functioned properly. Now it is just out of warranty (2 months ago) and the compressor is dead. The local service company keeps trying to give various reasons why it must be our fault. Don't think so! We are conservative with our usage and the 8-10 service calls we've had in 5 years tell the real story. We are very upset!

Date created: 2008-07-18 Name: Andy Meitner
Location: Gilbert, AZ

"Mr."
Unit is 4 years old and I am planing on replacing it soon. The compressor is extremely noisy. The unit was placed next to the family room and if you are watching TV you must turn the volume way up. No other problems with it but we are replacing it soon with something other than a York!!

Date created: 2008-06-12 Name: T. Zenkner
Location: DeKalb, IL

"York air conditioner problems"
I first purchased my furnace and air conditioner 8 years ago. Exactly 5 years the air conditioner completely blew. It was replaced although I did have to pay a portion. That was in 2005. In 2006 I had the service guy come out, said your out of freon. He replaced it. The next year I turned it on, out of freon again, I had to pay for a condensor or something of the sort. Now this year they are telling me I have a problem with the A-coil and I need to pay for it. Is the problem with York or my service company????? I can't afford this air conditioner. I am sitting in an 85 degree house even though I have central air because nobody is doing anything about it!

Date created: 2008-06-07 Name: Wendi Roper
Location: Murfreesboro, TN

"York Model# E1RA030S06D"
This unit is a little over 4 yrs old. It is still under parts warranty. It has performed appallingly poorly. Since moving into our house 3 yrs ago, we have averaged about 10 service calls a year. We have replaced the compressor and the fan once, and the defrost board 3 times. Even after replacing all of these parts, which were covered parts only, the unit still has never worked consistently for more than a month or two. We have just been told that the compressor-which was replaced July 13, 2007 now needs to be replaced again. The only explanation is that it is a crappy York unit. I have contacted York, and the customer service reps I have spoken to have been unfriendly and unhelpful to say the least. Besides the costs of all the service calls and labor that we have incurred, our energy bills have been ridiculous. We have an electric heat pump, of course, and our monthly electric bill in the cold months has been as high as $375 to heat our 2000 sqft house. Please bear in mind, we live in Tennessee, not in Minnesota. Do not, under any circumstances, purchase a York. Be wary of moving into a house with a York unit, we have only heard bad things since our problems started. Apparently contractors, use them because they are one of the cheapest, but the many service people we have encountered have unanimously been against them. Needless to say, we are not replacing the compressor again, but instead will buy a functional unit, even though we can't really afford it. If you find yourself in a house with a York unit, just be sure to have cash on hand for a whole new unit.

Date created: 2008-06-06 Name: MK
Location: Chester County, PA

"warm and concerned"
It came with the home when built in '98 as with so many in this area. It is builder grade equipment and evidently cheap for the builder to install. After 5 years, refrigerant had leaked (who knows how long). The technician (not a York Dealer) remarked at how common this was with York products. Many have leaked. Then to find out that legally it could only be recharged once (Ozone depleting refrigerants). It might just be me, but the central air system I grew up with never had issues like this and certainly not as early as this. Trying to milk this through one more season to try to get the most of the compressor (ave. life 10-12 yrs.) when you would likely have to replace the system anyway, but with energy prices where they now are, I might have to bite the bullet. You can bet I will gamble with something other than a York.

Date created: 2008-05-06 Name: Konrad
Location: Ridley Par, PA

I purchased 4 commercial AC/Furnace units for the roof of my commercial building. Over $32,000,for all 4 units. All of the units break down on a regular basis. I average a service call every 6 weeks. Circuit boards are total junk. Wires are undersized, melt and short out. Paint peels, metal rusts. Total junk!!! One bad unit is one thing, four bad units is another. Total junk. If you want copies of my purchase docs and service call docs, feel free to contact me at 302 593-5904

Date created: 2008-05-02 Name: K. Finnell
Location: Wylie, TX

We bought the unit and have had trouble every year. The unit would leak freon every year. The installer would fill it back for the first 3 years, then started charging. The condenser was replaced, the coil was replaced, the fan was replaced, and dye was put in but could not find the leak. One of the tech’s said that they had this problem before and had to replace the whole unit. Once it was out of warranty the installer washed their hands of it and I had to go through the regional director. They replaced the condenser again and charged us allot for labor. Now we still have a leaky system and now a independent dealer found the leak in an after market coil that was put in. Now York says its not our problem and the original installer won't return phone calls.

Date created: 2008-04-09 Name: David B. Hanna
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

York Stealth 3-ton central air conditioner with gas furnace. The gas furnace section has never had a problem. The 2 stage air conditioner section has been has been and still is a disaster! Nothing but problems. The compressor was changed 6 days ago for the second time and yesterday the air conditioner failed again!