Consumer Reviews of York central air conditioners

Read more about York central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-12-03 Name: Rabindranath Ramberan

"Warrenty not being by the sales company"
I bought (3) three York split units (2) two 12000 btu and (1) one 18000 btu about May 2006. One of the 12000 btu started to malfunction ie. it would work for a few days and for afew days the condenser part of the unit would not start up.This began happening a few months after it was bought. The company was notified, technicians were sent time and time again and at present the problem still exists. The 18000 btu unit also gave its share of problems at one point in time the unit would not shut off if you did not take of the main power supply to it. In June 2009 the compressor exploded. Evidence was supplied to indicate that the unit was serviced about every (6) six months. The compressor is still on warrenty but the company is not honoring it. I am at present paying to have it repaired. The company which supplied these units is climate control limited, trinidad. west indies. I have (3) three other Rheem units I bought in 2003 and they have been working trouble free. In my opinion a York unit and the supplier are very unreliable.

Date created: 2009-11-18 Name: Mike Z.

"Coil Failures"
To all the people that have had their coils replaced- there is a significant failure problem with York blue fin coils manufactured over the last several years. Failures are at epidemic proportions. York has issued a recall and pays dealers labor to replace the coils. You should not have to also pay labor.

Date created: 2009-10-26 Name: D. Hoffman

"Can you say junk--YORK"
Save yourself a lot of heartache, do not buy a york. In the first 6 months, we replaced compressor, would not heat. Within two years we have had every major component replaced; coil, condenser fan, blower. Make sure you use a reputable contractor, one who will stand behind their customer. I used "Balanced Air" in Port Richey, Florida, can you say mistake. They have no customer service, and could care less about the consumer. This is a company we have used for over 15 years and have never had a problem until we bought the york they talked us into. So do not make the mistake we have made.

Date created: 2009-10-14 Name: R. Lam

"York AC with bad coils"
My ac stopped cooling and began feezing up in July 2009. I was determined that I had a leak in the coil in both units. This can not be a just something that happens. Both units at the same time. Since then one of the units has had the coils replaced twice. I am now on the third coil due to leaks. There is definitally a problem with the coil that York is using. If I could replace the whole unit with another brand I would.

Date created: 2009-09-03 Name: Alice Thompson

"York Air Conditioning"
We replaced our old two-unit system 1 year ago with two York units. They have worked great until a week ago when one of them developed a leak in the evaporator coil. This is called a blue coil because the fins are blue - York is replacing the coil because all of them manufactured between 2006 and 2008 are defective; but they will not pay the labor to install the replacement coil - a cost of over $600. This is a very bad business practice, and because of it I will never buy a York product again. But for now I'm stuck with this since it's only a year old. I have another unit - so I'm expecting it to go out also. Who else has this issue? Maybe it's time to go after the company with a class action lawsuit ... any attorney's out there interested????

Date created: 2009-08-25 Name: Mike Sisler

"YORK AC"
I have had my York ac worked on each year for the past 4 yrs. The manufacturer has only agreed to replace the fan coil but no labor. It seems that these units are made in China and apparently they cant seem to get their welds correct. The labor cost has never been covered by York, I believe this manufacturer needs to go out of business and not ever come back as their equipment is junk

Date created: 2009-08-11 Name: S Bartley

"3 Years old YORK with Blocked Evaporator coil"
Just found out today my York fc36c2an1a has a blocked A-Coil. What a hassle getting the right company that can handle the part warranty. Paid extra from the builder to get the 90 % system and now that the heating and air contractor they used is out of business - between $450 to $1,100. If it's a mfg issue, why don't they cover the labor? I have to cross my fingers that the part cost will be covered when it gets back to york. Looks like a mfg issue, but it doesn't matter to York. Additionally, I heard this coil is suspect for leaks. It's the one with the blue coating and they no longer make it.... why did they discontinued the feature,,,, go figure.

Date created: 2009-07-23 Name: AM

"AM"
Just bought a new house and complained to the builder how loud the unit was and he told me to deal with it. After living in my house the compressor just died in my York ac unit and after reading the reviews, I am scared for the future. My unit lasted only 7 months and the repairmen said it was going to take 8 hours to fix. What a piece of junk!!!

Date created: 2009-07-20 Name: G. Hiller

"Junk or Not?"
Replaced our 15 year old unit with a new York 5 ton unit. We are in our third summer with it, and our third callout for the unit loosing a motor. Every year it has failed. The ac company is waiting on special test gear to see why this keeps happening, in the meantime my family continues to suffer the 105 degree weather here in the desert. 3 days now and counting with no air. Thanks York.

Date created: 2009-07-10 Name: M. Relich

"American scams"
The one I replaced lasted over 20 yrs. This unit was ok till it blew the compressor. The products that american companies make are made to break right after the warranty runs out most the time. York unit made it almost 11yrs. If you had to replace all your appliances every 10 - 11 yrs. you would be broke, oh! Thats right we are broke! Chrysler, gm, aig, and on and on, lets just add york to the group. Lets bail them out, so they can sell us more junk. No money tree at my house and no more york. honest!