Consumer Reviews of York central air conditioners

Read more about York central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-07-18 Name: Richard Belhumeur
Location: Bath, NH

"Best contractor yet!"
Ben Roy from R&R installed a York coil and condenser just recently on my relatively new York furnace. He did an excellent job, on time and on budget. Prior to his installation, he did extensive research to choose the best equipment for my use. When finished, he presented me with all necessary manuals, warranties, and instruction pertaining to the new system. I would highly recommend R&R and York.

Date created: 2016-07-06 Name: J. Martin
Location: Texas

"Pure junk"
We bought our lake home in 2013. Our 5 ton York AC/Heat unit was inspected and at only 3 years old it passed in good shape. June 26, 2015 the fan motor went out. It was replaced. Now, July 6, 2016 we were informed we had to have another fan motor! The real kicker is that we are 10 days out of warranty! Do you think York would give us some type of discount? Hell no! Our tech said he had changed over 500 fan units in the past 2 years. This unit only runs about 10 days in a month. I will never buy nor recommend any York product. Pure junk.

Date created: 2016-07-06 Name: H. Pfeiffer
Location: Palm Springs, CA

"A/C unit"
I am very happy with my purchase of the York unit. I haven't had any issues since installing the unit over 1 year ago. The unit has been very efficient, and my electric bill has even been lowered slightly. The temperature in my area gets very hot, last week 122 degrees, and the unit worked very well. I'm happy with my purchase.

Date created: 2016-06-23 Name: G Klewin
Location: Florence, AZ

"York AC / heat unit"
I live in Arizona and purchased a York AC/heating unit from George Brazil and have not been disappointed. I was told it is made in the USA. Many of the units these days are now being made overseas. This was a selling point for me. I have been pleased with how quiet the unit runs and how powerful the flow of air is. I can cool the house well at 77 degrees. I have watched my bill drop significantly throughout the first year of use. I have nothing negative to say about this unit. I make sure to have it tuned up every 6 months and I change the filters every month. I am counting on getting years of use out of the York unit. So far I am extremely happy with this purchase.

Date created: 2016-06-21 Name: Mac
Location: Alabama

"Failed York money pit"
York 4-year-old piggyback unit, now on its third compressor. Each time it's a new warranty battle.

Date created: 2016-06-15 Name: Rebecca Riley
Location: Houston, TX

"York coils keep leaking"
We installed this unit in 2009. The coil in the attic developed a leak and although the coil was under warranty, we had to pay for Freon and labor. Now the outside coil is leaking and it is no longer under warranty. The part is about $1000, add Freon and labor and we are looking at almost $2000 to repair. We are junking this AC and just looking at it as a bad experience as the repair costs are almost 50% of a new American Standard. York used to be a good brand but is now only junk.

Date created: 2016-06-13 Name: Geoff
Location: Hatfield, PA

"Extremely dissatisfied"
I will never buy a York AC again. We are going on our third compressor in 9 years. When it was installed the outside unit fan fell off while running and damaged the coils and pipes. They also have very unreliable and uneducated contractors.

Date created: 2016-04-18 Name: Tracye Cobourn

"Telephone tree"
Getting to a person to talk about registering the warranty is nonexistent! I called 877-874-7378, it says call 866-621-9675. That phone recording says she is away from her desk, call the original number. No customer service. I still want to register my coil model and serial number please call me 502-767-0170.

Date created: 2016-04-04 Name: HVAC Tech
Location: Los Angeles, CA

"HVAC trchnician- Used to be great"
I've been an hvac technician for over 15 years and have installed countless York units over the years. Carrier and York had always been my favorites until recently. One package unit had a bad control board within a year of install back in 2004-2005(ish), but other than that, I've never seen any factory issues with York products until now. Perhaps the quality isn't the same since Johnson Controls bought them out in 2008? Anyways, I installed a York package unit about 6 months ago, and since then, have been called out twice to fix it already. The first time was a relay failure, which required a replacement. Not too big of an ordeal. I was just called back out there again today to find the condenser fan motor was leaking at the bearing seal and the bearing was partially seized. Parts aren't available on a Sunday, so I'll be making a 3rd trip tomorrow to replace the motor, and cross my fingers that the unit doesn't have any more issues down the road. I'll definitely be installing a different brand of motor to be on the safe side. York needs to use higher quality parts if they want me to start selling them again. Also, Johnson Controls just sent their operations to Ireland to avoid higher U.S. taxes, so it's difficult to have faith in a company that's constantly looking to cut corners to increase profits. The U.S. government helped them out in 2008 while all the other bailouts were taking place. My advice for you is to fork out a little more money and buy a Carrier because that will definitely last. Trane is good, but Carrier is the best. I just wish Carrier didn't change their retail operations by requiring contractors to purchase directly from them only, and requiring $100k in purchases a year in order to obtain an account with them. At least for the customer's sake, you know the contractor knows what he's doing if he offers you Carrier as an option. Most failures are because of technician error. I've seen countless installs that just make me sick. If the unit is low on Freon, then the problem is with the installer, not the manufacturer. Only a package unit that's low on Freon would be the manufacturer's fault. Hire a good technician. It will save you quite a bit on energy costs, increase the life of your products, and cut down on dust and debris getting circulated throughout your entire house. You get exactly what you pay for, and a good install will last you well over 20-30 years with average use. Invest your money wisely! York tried using cheaper parts to save money, but instead they'll be losing hundreds-of-thousands of dollars over the years because of this one garbage unit. I know dozens of hvac contractors and hvac retailers and everyone will be hearing about this problem unit. Don't cheap out like York did. Spend more now so you can save much more money down the road. Hands-down, the highest quality work I've ever seen over the years was performed by a Los Angeles area company called Vertex. I learned several ocd tricks from them when I helped them out on some large projects several years ago. The owner of the company even takes stuff apart to ensure everything isn't just to code and able to pass the pressure tests, but that it also meets their overkill standards. Regardless of the contractor, it's highly recommended to request a hers test and to require the contractor to pressure test the line set with nitrogen for at least half an hour on your new system. These two pressure tests will ensure energy efficiency and a trouble- free system for many years to come. Unless it's a York, I guess. I'm extremely disappointed in them right now! There are plenty of great products on the market for me to risk my time, money, and reputation by selling another York. Hopefully other hvac technicians follow suit so York can start using quality components again. It's a real shame because they used to be the best value out there. Please help me spread the word. In the meantime, I recommend Carrier or Trane. Other brands just aren't quite the same. I hope this advice will save you thousands of dollars down the road. UPDATE: 4/4/16 I'm an HVAC technician and just left a very unsatisfied review about York because they are starting to use cheaper components that don't even last 6 months on a recent install. However, I was reading these reviews and at least 50% of the negative reviews are undoubtedly caused by technician error. If the unit is blowing hot air or not reaching the desired temperature, 99% of the time it's a leak in the Freon line outside of the unit, a dirty air filter, or a plugged condensate line. None of this is the manufacturer's fault. Failure to perform a quality install will also apply extra strain on the components and will lead to premature failure. To address much of the speculation I've been reading, contractors get absolutely zero incentive to promote a certain brand. HVAC wholesalers typically carry about 3 different brands, and contractors will typically set up accounts with 2-3 wholesalers which is why only certain brands are offered. The accounts are for verification of their state certificates so they can legally purchase Freon (and condensers factory charged with Freon). You can thank the EPA for that. I used to recommend York to everyone until my last York install. The quality of their current components no longer lives up to the reputation they had once earned. I personally will never sell a York unit again, but you need to know these truths before reading all these invalid reviews.

Date created: 2016-01-25 Location: Whittier, CA

"Works pretty good but is outdated"
We've had this central air conditioning unit for about 7 1/2 years now and it's needed to have the Freon replaced two times. The first time it ran out of Freon was about 2 years after installation and the second time was about 6 years after installation. Both times the repair man told us that we shouldn't have to replace it that often, so we paid over $800 to find out if there was a leak. There wasn't. I like that it really cools the house down nicely and is pretty quiet compared my some people's air conditioning units. What I don't like is the fact that these units which need Freon are not going to be made any more, making it next to impossible to buy the Freon when we need it. Our service man told us we are going to need to upgrade to the ones that don't need Freon. So, no, I would not recommend this AC unit to anyone and am disappointed that we will soon have to replace it because we can't afford it right now.