Consumer Reviews of Trane central air conditioners

Read more about Trane central air conditioners

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2012-07-23 Name: Dale Heller
Location: Nashville, TN

"Trane is Really Junk"
Like other writing these reviews, I was optimistic when I purchased the top of the line Trane unit just 4 1/2 years ago. I cannot tell you enough how disappointed I am in the reliability and serviceability of this unit. After slightly over 4 years, I have no fewer than 6 service calls. The most recent this weekend, when the service tech advised me that the expansion valve (a new type) is shot and will have to be replaced. He suggested the condenser should be replaced also, since they are known to fail regularly. The expansion valve - over $1,000 alone. This is a ridiculous price for an expansion valve, even the techs say so. This repair along (not counting the previous ones) will likely put me over midway to replacement costs - after 4 1/2 years. Needless to say, if someone recommends a Trane unit, run from them. Trane has reached a new low in quality and serviceability of their home units. Pay a premium like I did, if you wish. The landfill will appreciate your contribution in just a few short years.

Date created: 2012-07-22 Name: John R
Location: Maumee, OH

"New A/C - No Air for 8 days and counting"
We installed a new Trane hvac system in 2010. This summer our a/c broke during one of the hottest weeks on record. The service team came out to fix it under warranty. They needed to order a blower motor. It was going to cost me $50 to overnight the part. Since the team did not arrive until 4:30pm on Monday, the part could not actually be overnighted, it arrived on Wed afternoon. The team arrived again to try to install it even though they were not sent the brackets that were need to install it correctly. The blower could not be attached. After a week without a/c I am still waiting for brackets. I don't knwo where trane gets these brackets, but they need to learn how touse overnight. a 2 year old a/c system should not be out for 8 days and counting.

Date created: 2012-07-13 Name: L. Olsson
Location: Roswell, GA

"Want To 'Stop A Trane'? Just Own One For Four Years"
(A slightly modified version of the following story was submitted to trane via their web site in the customer service section. That was over a week ago; to date, no response of any kind has been received. I have to admit, after my experience with their product, I am unsurprised) ---------------- I bought my home in a suburb of Atlanta in 2003. It was built in 1992, which means I came in just about the time some major upkeep items needed to be done on the house. Along with the roof, the most expensive of these was the HVAC system. Since I moved here from California, I was unfamiliar with AC units - it just doesn't get hot and humid enough in most of CA to require residential air conditioning. So I did some research, and every source I found said Trane was the way to go. In fact, as I typed this, the company slogan "It's hard to stop a TRANE" sat in the sidebar of my web browser, under their logo. Because when I initially went looking at HVAC systems, nearly every source I found pointed me in the direction of TRANE products, I went through Home Depot, and had Universal (their subcontractor for this type of work in the Atlanta area) install an XR 13 system in my downstairs (main floor) in late 2008. Yesterday, it stopped working completely. Apparently, it is not at ALL hard to stop a TRANE; all it takes to stop one is to OWN one and use it normally for less than four years. THIS is the "best in the business?" I sure hope not. What's amusing - if anything - about all of this is that I didn't notice immediately that my downstairs AC had stopped functioning because the blower in my now nearly 20-year old Lennox furnace (to which the TRANE AC compressor outside is attached) was still merrily pumping air throughout my main floor. So it wasn't as if there was no air circulation at all. In fact, when I first noticed that it felt hotter in the house than I expected, I noticed that the vent was still blowing air, so I just assumed I was feeling hot for some reason. It wasn't until much later in the day when the temperature continued to rise that I realized that the outside Trane compressor had stopped working completely. Think about that for a moment: a builder-grade furnace that's nearly 20 years old is working just fine, while the expensive "best in the business" TRANE AC compressor, sits inoperative in the yard, like a $2,000 brick. I found the telephone number for Universal and called them. They told me it would be more than 24 hours before they could even get a tech out here to diagnose the problem. When the tech arrived late this afternoon, he spent the better part of two hours diagnosing the problem -- though he appeared to spend about half of that time on his cell phone (I could not tell if it was personal calls or calls to his shop trying to diagnose my system). But eventually, he rang my doorbell and presented me with a bill for over four hundred dollars for labor and parts due to a bad capacitor in the compressor which had apparently in turn burned up the windings on the compressor fan motor. The kicker? When I groused to my Universal tech about how it didn't seem that hard to stop a TRANE, he informed me that my situation wasn't all that unusual; that in fact HIS COMPANY WERE HAVING SIMILAR PROBLEMS -- AND THIS IS A DIRECT QUOTE FROM A TECH WHO IS IN THE FIELD EVERY WEEKDAY SERVICING TRANE UNITS -- "ALL OVER GEORGIA, SOMETIMES ON UNITS THAT ARE ONLY THREE YEARS OLD." So: hard to stop a.....oh, BARF. Anyway, if that wasn't already enough, Universal informed me that although they apparently have to fix this problem on your products all the time, they don't actually STOCK the part they need to replace, meaning that I get to sit in Georgia July heat for another day while they order it from the warehouse, before they can install it. I can't tell you how disappointed I am in your product. It seems to cool my house as well as the next AC unit - but at a distinct price premium, and if the supposed "best in the business" breaks after only three-plus years, what I CAN tell you most assuredly is that the next time my HVAC needs replacing, I'll be looking for a firm whose product reliability lives up to their marketing hype...because TRANE sure doesn't.

Date created: 2012-07-09 Name: Peggy Coffaro
Location: Merritt Island, FL

"Buy another brand"
Purchased this Trane unit six years ago for an addition of about 700 sq. ft. and every other year something has broken and now it is broke again. We are going to replace it. We had a Intertherm for 18 years for a 1500 sq.ft. house with little or no problems. Very unsatisfied with this unit.

Date created: 2012-07-05 Name: C.A. Stone
Location: Topeka, Kansas

"Yes, you CAN stop a TRANE"
Purchased a trane AC/furnace about 7 years ago. As soon as the 5 year warranty was almost up, it needed a repair that cost around $500. Now just 2 years later, the inside coil is leaking and that will cost us $1000.00. We have this unit serviced every year. I feel trane does not stand behind their product, it is poorly manufactured and that their advertising is false..they advertise a product that is indestructible. I would not buy from trane again and would definitely not recommend trane to anyone. We are retired and thought this would carry us through for many years since the unit it basically new. The York unit they took out was still running, 40 years old and had never seen a repair or service person. Go figure!

Date created: 2012-06-30 Name: S.

"BAD PRODUCT & SERVICE"
We purchased a 2 ton Trane XL14c in August of 2009. Every year since, it shuts down when it's very cold or very hot outside. We are having high 90 degree weather (heat index over 100) with no end in sight and this piece of junk goes out again. Our local distributor has been rude to us so many times in the past but this time it takes the cake. It went down four days ago and they informed us the part would take 7-10 days to get here! In the meantime they brought is a 10,000 btu portable unit to use. It only slightly cools 1 room of 6. I have a very bad heart and cough, my wife is not in good health and our little dog has heart problems also...THIS Is not ACCEPTABLE! We even paid cash for the piece of junk! I will never buy another trane!!!

Date created: 2012-06-25 Name: B Kay
Location: Edinburg, tX

"Trane doesn't live up to its name"
We moved into our facility in April of 2011. Now in June 2012, after many many service calls, our units are no longer under warranty and of course have leaks that need $2800 worth of repairs!! Honestly, you would think that an expensive air conditioner would last a lot longer. I would never, never recommend this product.

Date created: 2012-06-13 Name: Richard
Location: Stow, Ohio

"Trane not what it was supposed to be and does not work as guaranteed"
I just replaced my central a/c with a Trane. What a mistake. I wanted a scroll compressor, so specifically asked the salesman if the unit used a scroll compressor. He said it did. I did not want a piston compressor because they have a high pitched whine that starts my ears ringing. You can't find compressor type info at Trane because they don't want to tell you; confusion is their friend in making sales. As it turned out the compressor isn't a scroll. Never mind that for now. The local dealer provides a guarantee that any system they sell you will maintain your house at 75f on a 90f day. Well, I was able to maintain 79f at 90f outside and even in the high 80's and since it was set at 75, the A/c never shut off. I have now filed complaints with them and they will be coming out to look at things. I want my money back.

Date created: 2012-06-12 Name: Frances Shea
Location: Covington. :A

"Not your Mammas Trane"
I had always heard Trane ran like a Train, reliable and long running. I replaced a very old Trane with a new one about 5 years ago. At 5 years, 3 months, with very responsible and careful use, the condenser is going out. I have had it repaired twice since January at a cost of about 600$. My repairman says that Trane does not have reliable quality like it did back in the day. He recommends replacing it with a Carrier. I am disappointed to say the least.

Date created: 2012-06-08 Name: Roberta Horn
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

"Your a/c junk"
I purchased a home a/c back in Dec.2006. It has been a nightmare. I live in Florida and when it goes out the house temperature goes up to 85 degrees. First it was the fan. Then over a year ago it was working on and off. The company who service my appliances said they could not come out if it was working. a few weeks later it went out again. a man came and said there was a clog. I have had yearly service on this a/C. The water was clean when he flushed it out. a few weeks later it went out again. This time they told me to change the batteries which I did. It went out again and this time the thermostat was changed and 2 parts in the outside unit had to be replaced. This man told me he was an a/c expert. Now it went out again. Again I was told if the man comes there would be a charge. I said send the man. Well to make a long story short it turned out it was the compressor. To add the icing on the cake the part was covered by the warranty but the labor was not. The charge was $300. When it started working the technician noticed the condenser wasn't working right so now that has to be replaced. what a piece of junk. I told the man from the service company that they sold me a lemon.

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>