Consumer Reviews of Trane central air conditioners

Read more about Trane central air conditioners

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2012-10-09 Name: Jullius Cicchini
Location: Dunedin Florida 34698

"Owner of unit were it was installed"
I replaced it with a trane unit, but I need to tell everyone I read great reviews but, my trane is running in reverse, not a "happy" customer. Installed in September and already I had 4 service calls, now it is in need of a compressor. They certainly don't appreciate the business, It will take 6-10 days to get a replacement part???? Pay now and, get taken advantage of. Now they are looking for me to sign a service contract---what happen to the warranty? That was supposed to come with the new unit, I called on Saturday for service and was told it would cost $160,00 to come and check it out???? Now that is being taken advantage of??

Date created: 2012-09-06 Name: Dinty Monroe
Location: The Villages, FL

"SUCKS!"
Here I sit on Thursday with my breathing problems ... in The Villages Florida with the daily temp at 95 degrees and with high humidity ..and holding on to my $800.00 Trane extended warranty and my recent July ("all's fine checkup")@$200.00 And .... I have had no a/c since Monday and can only hope that I will have it sometime next week. What a sucker I have been to have: a Trane Product; an extended 10 year warranty; and an established contractor who 'will not stock parts the common needed for repair.

Date created: 2012-08-28 Name: Rita Brow
Location: Longwood, FL

"Trane xl 16 with heat pump"
I purchased the top of the line Trane xl 16 with heat pump two years ago from People Air out of Apopka Florida. I was sold this unit as the best one you could buy. It has not cooled satisfactorily since the day it was installed. (fyi I also bought 2 additional units for the other side of my house too). I finally after several return calls was forced to pay $1,400 to replace the original evaporator coil which just so happen to go bad 1 year after purchased. I was told they were replacing them with aluminum coils which would give a much longer life span. Today the aluminum coils are leaking and froze up. I am now paying another $1000 to replace the evaporated coil and txv. This unit is 2 years old and I have spent $2,500 on it to repair it. There should be some warranty for this... to find out that Rubin did receive $450 warranty check from the company thus actually was paid $1450 for the work. I would never recommend a trane unit and definitely not use People Air from Apopka Florida. I have 3 trane hvac systems of them in my 7300 sf house and all less than 3 years old and constantly having issues.

Date created: 2012-08-14 Name: Dave Pave
Location: Dallas area

"4 Good Trane Systems"
I've had owned 2 houses over the past 20 years that have had Trane systems. The first had 2 Trane heat pumps that were still going after 17 years. The only thing I had to do in the 13 years I was in that house was replace the starter caps a few times. I finally replaced the systems with American Standard systems just because they were starting to struggle to keep the house cool. The second house with Trane systems has been good too. It has 2 Trane ac and gas furnace systems (xe1200) that are 14 years old, and I'm now replacing one system due to freon leaks in the evaporator and condenser coils. This one system has already had the evaporator coil replace once though, in 2003. The other system is still going strong.

Date created: 2012-08-14 Name: M K
Location: Smithton, IL

"XL 1200 High Efficiency- Lemon"
My home was built in 2000 and the xl 1200 High Effiency Air Cond was put in. Have replaced 2 motors not counting the one that was in it and now it appears a bearing is going out in the most recent motor. What the ???? I know people who have had their air conditioners for 20 yrs and never a new motor. 4 in 12 years? This is a lemon and I say "it's not hard to stop a Trane'. I'm very irritated!

Date created: 2012-08-07 Name: Cindy Clark
Location: Fort Pierce, FL

"Trane is the Worst"
We have Model #twe036c14fb0, purchased 01/2004 and had to replace the interior coil 5 times. This is the worst a/c we have every owned and would never purchase another one. Trane will not cover this and after reading other reviews it seems everyone has had this same problem. Maybe we should all get together and write a petition to Trane for installing parts that continue to break. Very Unsatisfied and do not recommend this a/c to anyone ever!!!!!! Please save your money and purchase a different a/c not a trane.

Date created: 2012-08-01 Name: R. Strouse
Location: South Carolina

"Coil Leak @ Less Than 3 Years"
Am so disappointed in Trane quality. New system has a coil leak after less than 3 years. $1,200 repair bill totally out of my pocket. I chose Trane brand because I believed the high quality reputation. I sure wish I'd read reviews on this site before. I now believe that perceived Trane quality is no longer supported by current-day Trane hardware.

Date created: 2012-07-23 Name: Dale Heller
Location: Nashville, TN

"Trane is Really Junk"
Like other writing these reviews, I was optimistic when I purchased the top of the line Trane unit just 4 1/2 years ago. I cannot tell you enough how disappointed I am in the reliability and serviceability of this unit. After slightly over 4 years, I have no fewer than 6 service calls. The most recent this weekend, when the service tech advised me that the expansion valve (a new type) is shot and will have to be replaced. He suggested the condenser should be replaced also, since they are known to fail regularly. The expansion valve - over $1,000 alone. This is a ridiculous price for an expansion valve, even the techs say so. This repair along (not counting the previous ones) will likely put me over midway to replacement costs - after 4 1/2 years. Needless to say, if someone recommends a Trane unit, run from them. Trane has reached a new low in quality and serviceability of their home units. Pay a premium like I did, if you wish. The landfill will appreciate your contribution in just a few short years.

Date created: 2012-07-22 Name: John R
Location: Maumee, OH

"New A/C - No Air for 8 days and counting"
We installed a new Trane hvac system in 2010. This summer our a/c broke during one of the hottest weeks on record. The service team came out to fix it under warranty. They needed to order a blower motor. It was going to cost me $50 to overnight the part. Since the team did not arrive until 4:30pm on Monday, the part could not actually be overnighted, it arrived on Wed afternoon. The team arrived again to try to install it even though they were not sent the brackets that were need to install it correctly. The blower could not be attached. After a week without a/c I am still waiting for brackets. I don't knwo where trane gets these brackets, but they need to learn how touse overnight. a 2 year old a/c system should not be out for 8 days and counting.

Date created: 2012-07-13 Name: L. Olsson
Location: Roswell, GA

"Want To 'Stop A Trane'? Just Own One For Four Years"
(A slightly modified version of the following story was submitted to trane via their web site in the customer service section. That was over a week ago; to date, no response of any kind has been received. I have to admit, after my experience with their product, I am unsurprised) ---------------- I bought my home in a suburb of Atlanta in 2003. It was built in 1992, which means I came in just about the time some major upkeep items needed to be done on the house. Along with the roof, the most expensive of these was the HVAC system. Since I moved here from California, I was unfamiliar with AC units - it just doesn't get hot and humid enough in most of CA to require residential air conditioning. So I did some research, and every source I found said Trane was the way to go. In fact, as I typed this, the company slogan "It's hard to stop a TRANE" sat in the sidebar of my web browser, under their logo. Because when I initially went looking at HVAC systems, nearly every source I found pointed me in the direction of TRANE products, I went through Home Depot, and had Universal (their subcontractor for this type of work in the Atlanta area) install an XR 13 system in my downstairs (main floor) in late 2008. Yesterday, it stopped working completely. Apparently, it is not at ALL hard to stop a TRANE; all it takes to stop one is to OWN one and use it normally for less than four years. THIS is the "best in the business?" I sure hope not. What's amusing - if anything - about all of this is that I didn't notice immediately that my downstairs AC had stopped functioning because the blower in my now nearly 20-year old Lennox furnace (to which the TRANE AC compressor outside is attached) was still merrily pumping air throughout my main floor. So it wasn't as if there was no air circulation at all. In fact, when I first noticed that it felt hotter in the house than I expected, I noticed that the vent was still blowing air, so I just assumed I was feeling hot for some reason. It wasn't until much later in the day when the temperature continued to rise that I realized that the outside Trane compressor had stopped working completely. Think about that for a moment: a builder-grade furnace that's nearly 20 years old is working just fine, while the expensive "best in the business" TRANE AC compressor, sits inoperative in the yard, like a $2,000 brick. I found the telephone number for Universal and called them. They told me it would be more than 24 hours before they could even get a tech out here to diagnose the problem. When the tech arrived late this afternoon, he spent the better part of two hours diagnosing the problem -- though he appeared to spend about half of that time on his cell phone (I could not tell if it was personal calls or calls to his shop trying to diagnose my system). But eventually, he rang my doorbell and presented me with a bill for over four hundred dollars for labor and parts due to a bad capacitor in the compressor which had apparently in turn burned up the windings on the compressor fan motor. The kicker? When I groused to my Universal tech about how it didn't seem that hard to stop a TRANE, he informed me that my situation wasn't all that unusual; that in fact HIS COMPANY WERE HAVING SIMILAR PROBLEMS -- AND THIS IS A DIRECT QUOTE FROM A TECH WHO IS IN THE FIELD EVERY WEEKDAY SERVICING TRANE UNITS -- "ALL OVER GEORGIA, SOMETIMES ON UNITS THAT ARE ONLY THREE YEARS OLD." So: hard to stop a.....oh, BARF. Anyway, if that wasn't already enough, Universal informed me that although they apparently have to fix this problem on your products all the time, they don't actually STOCK the part they need to replace, meaning that I get to sit in Georgia July heat for another day while they order it from the warehouse, before they can install it. I can't tell you how disappointed I am in your product. It seems to cool my house as well as the next AC unit - but at a distinct price premium, and if the supposed "best in the business" breaks after only three-plus years, what I CAN tell you most assuredly is that the next time my HVAC needs replacing, I'll be looking for a firm whose product reliability lives up to their marketing hype...because TRANE sure doesn't.

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>