Consumer Reviews of Trane central air conditioners

Read more about Trane central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-05-13 Name: Patti Tichenor
Location: Alabama

"Don't believe the commercials"
We replaced a 13 year old contractor's grade a/c that had started to have problems over the last two years with a very expensive Trane a/c downstairs and a combo heat pump/A-C upstairs. Service call last year, replace freon found 2 possible sources of leaks. Turned it on this year, again, no cooling. Two service calls and over a $1,000 later the coil was replaced (under warranty) charges were for labor, coolant.... The contractor won't budge on the price. I hate trane and their commercials. I should have researched A/Cs better. do not buy a Trane, they are crap. We needed something reliable,(my husband has ms and cannot take the heat and we live in Alabama), but this is a disaster and a total rip off for an unsuspecting consumer. Dare I say, the upstairs has been fine but it does not run as much.

Date created: 2009-05-12 Name: Bill Crossen

"Installed less than 2 Years! June 28 2007"
Needs tvx! Factory mis-installed flare nut and this section of a 2 year old manufactured ahu is unavailable in the continental U.S. and must be remanufactured; minimum 3days plus shipping. What in the world did I buy?

Date created: 2009-05-04 Name: Alan

"Another rane Coil Failure"
Looks like I have to add myself to the list of unhappy Trane owners. After two years the evaporator coil has failed on my new Trane Air Conditioner. Even under warrenty it will cost $1000 by the time the new coil is replaced. Guess it doesn't take much to stop a Trane.

Date created: 2009-04-29 Name: TRANE

"18 months and problems"
After 18 months of owning a Trane My Mom is now having to pay over $500.00 in labor cost because of a bad leaking coil. Yes Trane pays for the coil but you are responsible for the labor freon etc.. When we called the installer they refused to bend .. Now my mom is 80 she is left with a ac unit that the sales person said was the best and most dependable unit on the market.. If trane knows this is a on going problem they should recall the coils.. and pay for all cost. At the cost of new ac units they should not have to repair this quick.. Be careful on what is told to you about how good something is

Date created: 2009-04-26 Name: TRANE

"The worst air conditioning system"
The Trane 4ttr4 system we installed is supposed to be more than we need. It barely works for the first year. But after 12 months it is broken. I would suggest anyone to think twice before choosing Trane air condition systems.

Date created: 2009-04-10 Name: TRANE

"Barbara"
I have had the trane unit 3.2 years they are telling me the motors are both leaking oil and need to be replace at the tune of 600 dollars.. I have owned ac for 35 years never had this much trouble

Date created: 2008-12-22 Name: HAROLD BROUSSARD
Location: Opelousas, LA

"MY TRANE UNIT"
I bought this unit with the unthestanding it was a 3.5 ton and it was more then I needed to cool my house it did not after checking the unit installed was only a 3 ton

Date created: 2008-11-19 Name: gene
Location: Daphne, AL

"Owner"
I had a trane 12 seer installed new when I built my house. The evaporater coil has failed four times in this time period. Trane rep says it is the environment of the house causing the failures. I asked the rep to mail me a copy of the failure reports, says he don't have any. this is getting expensive. I need help.

Date created: 2008-11-18 Name: D Griff
Location: South, FL

"Trane Defects"
I am a contractor in Florida. Unlike the other contractor review, we find Trane units to be the most expensive to repair with the most defective coils. I have had to change approximately 12 warranty Trane coils this year. No house or unit was over 2-3 years old. Two of those are again defective. Trane is honoring the warrantied parts, but leaving the contractors and homeowners holding the bag for these defective parts.

Date created: 2008-11-15 Name: D. Antony
Location: TN

"Poor installation"
I've been a contractor in the business over 28 years. Trane/American Standard is some of the best equipment out there. That being said any equipment will work properly when the application and installation is done properly. I would say most problems are from poor installation especially multiple and re-occurring problems. Of course you always have the dishonest-make a killing every time you show up types that give us all a bad name. The equipment is all the same in theoretical functions, I just find the Trane/Am Std better in quality and consistency. They also have some of the best technical assistance in the business in my experience. Contractors that can't solve issues are not willing too loose time and money to make the customer satisfied. That's why they have to pay for large adds in the phone book for new business. Their repeat business is nil. My philosophy is do a good job and the money will follow, most have it backwards. I guess thatís why I don't have to advertise and I haven't taken any new customers in a few years